by Erik Altieri
Senator Ron Wyden has introduced an amendment to Senate Bill 3240, the Senate version of this year’s federal farm bill, that requires the federal government to respect state laws allowing the cultivation of industrial hemp. Hemp is a distinct variety of the plant species cannabis sativa that contains only trace (less than one percent) amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive compound in cannabis.
The amendment language mimics the “Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013,” which remains pending as stand-alone legislation in both the House and Senate but has yet to receive a legislative hearing. Senator Wyden’s provision to the Senate’s Farm Bill amends the Controlled Substances Act to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana. The measure grants state legislatures the authority to license and regulate the commercial production of hemp as an industrial and agricultural commodity.
“For me, what’s important is that people see, particularly in our state, there’s someone buying it at Costco in Oregon,” Senator Wyden previously stated in support of this Act, “I adopted what I think is a modest position, which is if you can buy it at a store in Oregon, our farmers ought to be able to make some money growing it.”
Eight states – Colorado, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and West Virginia – have enacted statutory changes defining industrial hemp as distinct agricultural product and allowing for its regulated commercial production. Passage of this amendment would remove existing federal barriers and allow these states and others the authority to do so without running afoul of federal anti-drug laws.
Senator Wyden’s amendment is co-sponsored by Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has also expressed his supportfor this proposal.
According to a Congressional Research Service report, “The United States is the only developed nation in which industrial hemp is not an established crop.”
Click here to quickly and easily contact your Senator in support of industrial hemp.
- Argentina Makes the Medical Marijuana Move
- Medical Marijuana Patient Banned From Riding Bus Over Weed Odor
- Cannabis Technological Innovations Find Funding In Israel
- Jazzy Marijuana: Berkeley Music Store Swaps Genre for Ganja
- Republican Congressional Candidates Back Marijuana Reform
- Meditation and Cannabis: A Marriage Made for Mankind
- King’s Kush Marijuana Strain Review
- Virginia Gov Supports Medical Marijuana But Isn’t Hopeful
- 5 Ways for Dispensary Owners to Turn Patients Into Loyal Customers
- Marijuana in the Debates
- Every 49 Seconds an American is Arrested for Marijuana Possession
- The Powerful Cannabinoid Fighting Prostate and Breast Cancer
- 1,600 New Reasons to Celebrate Medical Marijuana in Italy
- Rove Marijuana Vape Cartridges and Pens, Good To The Last Drop!
- Is the Future Now with Aquaponic Grow Farms?
- Chelsea Clinton Implies Marijuana Can Kill You
- Army Bans Alaska-Based Soldiers from Attending Marijuana Events
- Grow Guide: Stimulate Your Garden with Stinging Nettle
- Legalizing Marijuana Reduces DEA Eradication Costs, Data Suggests
- Phoenix Officers Resign After Forcing Teen Driver To Eat Marijuana