by Erik Altieri
Senator Ron Wyden has introduced an amendment to Senate Bill 3240, the Senate version of this year’s federal farm bill, that requires the federal government to respect state laws allowing the cultivation of industrial hemp. Hemp is a distinct variety of the plant species cannabis sativa that contains only trace (less than one percent) amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive compound in cannabis.
The amendment language mimics the “Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013,” which remains pending as stand-alone legislation in both the House and Senate but has yet to receive a legislative hearing. Senator Wyden’s provision to the Senate’s Farm Bill amends the Controlled Substances Act to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana. The measure grants state legislatures the authority to license and regulate the commercial production of hemp as an industrial and agricultural commodity.
“For me, what’s important is that people see, particularly in our state, there’s someone buying it at Costco in Oregon,” Senator Wyden previously stated in support of this Act, “I adopted what I think is a modest position, which is if you can buy it at a store in Oregon, our farmers ought to be able to make some money growing it.”
Eight states – Colorado, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and West Virginia – have enacted statutory changes defining industrial hemp as distinct agricultural product and allowing for its regulated commercial production. Passage of this amendment would remove existing federal barriers and allow these states and others the authority to do so without running afoul of federal anti-drug laws.
Senator Wyden’s amendment is co-sponsored by Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has also expressed his supportfor this proposal.
According to a Congressional Research Service report, “The United States is the only developed nation in which industrial hemp is not an established crop.”
Click here to quickly and easily contact your Senator in support of industrial hemp.
- Canada’s Ultimate Guide to Brunch
- Plenty of 420: Enjoy Your Smoke Sesh with Johnny Tsunami, Gucci Mane, and Wifisfuneral
- Cannabis-Infused Dark Chocolate Coconut Balls
- Now This: States With Legalized Marijuana Experience Dramatic Decline In Adolescent Pot Problems
- My Mom The Medical Marijuana Patient and Advocate
- Grow Guide: Biodynamic Gardening
- Toronto City Officials Outraged with Project Claudia
- Plenty of 420: Enjoy Your Smoke Sesh with Expensive Dabs, Innovative Tacos, and Virtual Reality
- Makeshift High: The Apple Dab Rig
- Lawmakers Press Obama on Marijuana Reform
- Marijuana Concentrates: Rick Steves Stumps For Maine, Stoned Sheep Stampede Welsh Countryside, POTUS Gets Grilled On Past Pot Use
- Canada: The World’s Next Marijuana Marketplace
- Congress Tightening Restraints on D.C. Marijuana Reform
- Atomic Northern Lights Marijuana Strain Review
- Nevada’s Lengthy Medical Card Process
- highTunes: Perfect Weed Pairings for Chance the Rapper, Radiohead, and Ricky Hil
- GOP Congressman Comes Out of the Cannabis Closet
- Feeling The Bern: Sanders Cheers On Marijuana Legalization For Golden State
- Cannabis Tourism Grows in Canada
- The World’s Most Relaxing Chai Tea Latte