Open loop hash extraction is illegal in Colorado. And remains a strange enigma elsewhere.
So you want to make hash? And you’ve heard just how easy it is to make hash (note: it is easy): get some weed or trim, buy a tube from Home Depot, and purchase a bunch of butane. Run said butane through said weed-filled tube, purge your product of butane, admire your hash, and then start dabbing away.
On the surface, it really is that simple of a process. But it’s also a really dangerous one. Especially if you’ve never made hash before, aren’t being taught by someone, or, most importantly, do not take the proper precautions. That’s why a little spilled butane and a misstep with a lighter can result in third degree burns, a blown up house, and (while it’s yet to happen to my knowledge): death.
It seems like every week, there’s a news story about a home explosion caused by novice, at home hash-makers. Not only are these stories a horrible reflection on an industry we’re trying to legitimize–but these cautionary tales provide exactly the ammunition prohibitionists need to keep reefer madness alive.
Every time a house blows up from hash–and it’s happening everywhere from New York to California–the general public perceives the art of hash-making as something akin to running a meth lab. That’s not a good look, and one that you can bet the DEA looks if and when it separately classifies concentrates from flowers.
The latest horror story comes out of, unfortunately, Colorado, where hash is ironically more readily available than anywhere else in the world.
Fire officials say an explosion at an Aurora townhome was caused by two men making marijuana hash oil. The blast on Saturday afternoon was so powerful, it blew windows out of homes.
The explosion happened in the 4500 block of S. Hannibal St.
9NEWS talked to the father of one of the men responsible. He said his son and his roommate made a dumb mistake and paid for it with serious burns that put them in the hospital. [9NEWS]
It’s scary, it can happen to anyone, and it’s easy to avoid. That said, these explosions don’t just happen to home chefs. The exact same thing has happened to seasoned professional extraction artists and companies, not because of oversight–but because accidents happen when you play with fire.
There is a simple way to take this risk out of making hash: use closed-loop extractor (like the Emotek). As expensive investments as they may be–they completely take the risk out of making your hash because they rely on a closed loop system.
While I don’t know enough about hash-making technology, I’ve seen these kind of machines at work first hand and know this much: there’s nothing escaping them, and they make just as good hash as a hand blower.
Of course–and unfortunately–most people can’t afford high tech hash making machines, even some professionals out there. While Colorado is making a concerted effort to eliminate open-loop extraction (and targeting illegal operations), open-loop extraction remains alive and well in California, Washington, and every black-market state in this country.
When cannabis is federally legalized, you can safely bet your life savings that open loop extraction will be illegal, and dabs will be a controversial topic. But until then, if you’re going to make hash, you’re better off using some Keif and your moms iron then trying to become the next great dab-maker.
Making dabs should be left to professionals–whether it’s open or closed loop–and if you want to learn how to make dabs, you should seek a mentor.
Naturally, if you’re going to blast your own hash, please, for the love of legalizing cannabis, do it outdoors, do it with gloves on, and don’t light up a cigarette any where close to where you blasted.
Hash is certainly very powerful, even too powerful for some. But it’s marijuana at it’s purest form, and when made properly, its medicinal potential is simply untapped. If idiots keep running afoul of both common sense and the law, it will be continued to be labelled as a dangerous, crack-like substance.
While labeling hash as crack couldn’t be further from the truth, making the stuff the wrong way is a serious, serious risk, and not just for yourself, but for the entire movement.