Chromium Crusher grinders

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories' started by EeJay, Aug 1, 2007.

1. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

It's been a long time since i've posted in these parts. In fact, I think the last time was when this board didn't exist and it was only CheapTalk. My avatar used to match the board's colour scheme.

Anyway, i'm looking for a grinder. The Chromium Crushers doing the rounds at eBay at the moment have caught my interest and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or heard anything about them before. Any info would be much appreciated.

I have searched and read through all 16 pages of the Space Case thread, and most of the other grinder threads, and I haven't seen this particular grinder mentioned at all.

So, anyone?

2. Trocisp

Trocisp Guest

I haven't used one myself, but I've seen them used.

They work well.

3. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

I personally have never seen it, nor heard about it, so you can completely throw this opinion out in the wind if you'd like, but

I wouldn't trust any grinder that cheap. It will of course grind your buds, and it will of course collect kief, but I would very highly doubt it matches anything close to the amount that a spacecase or sometihn like a mendomulcher would collect. Not only that, but with my cheap kief collecting grinder, it mixes a lot of herb along with the kief.

I wish I woulda spent the extra bucks for something nicer. But if your just looking for a grinder, and something that will occasionally build up enough kif to smoke, then go for it. But IMO, it certainly doesn't look like it would be top of the line

4. Broliette

Broliette ~~~_\|/_~~~

Wow, first welcome back buddy! :chokin:

I personally have never used anything but spacecase. I love the durability, magnet, and (if I had one) kief collector. I know it's pretty expensive but I believe it would be well worth it and the payback would be tenfold in the long run. IMO :wave:

5. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Dark: Kief collection is secondary to a quick and consistent grind for me. I'm just sick of using scissors to chop up my weed, and it's especially annoying when the bud is loaded with crystals, making it a sticky and messy affair.

That said, I am looking for one with kief collector, just because it'd be cool to have some available every now and then. But it's the quality of the grinder i'm mostly concerned about.

6. Bowlblaze

Bowlblaze Banned

Dude, welcome back man. It's awesome to see another old timer around here. :wave:
    I have a reasonably solid knockoff that grinds my bud really nicely and quickly for 30 bucks. But I think I'm going to invest in a spacecase pretty soon personally.

7. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

You may find that sticky herb wont grind well, and tends to stick to the grinder teeth, and sides of the grinder. I have some sticky Mazar & Blueberry right now, and it tends to stick to the grinder somewhat, so keep that in mind.

That being said, I'm getting insane kief from this stuff. :) My grinder is not a Space Case, but it is great, regardless. Had it almost 3 years now, and when I clean it, it looks as new as the day I bought it. It grinds the perfect consistancy for vaporizing as well.

I have seen the large Space Case grinders, and they don't grind well, IMO. Not ground finely enough for me, but that's me. :)

8. ADIDAS

ADIDAS Represent. KY

If you are going for power/ground evenly, choose the spacecase. There isnt a grinder on the market that can outgrind it right now. You can put the stickiest buds in there and itll shred it up very easy. The teeth are so strong, I have yet to find one sturdier.

9. SuperTorch

SuperTorch Sr. Member

I own the Chromium Chrusher 2.25" 2 piece and for the money its the best that I have owned(4 differenct brands). A grinder can only do so much different than any other grinder but the one I own(you can see the pic in the sticky thread) is rock solid, teeth are very uniform and diamond shaped, it has a heavy feel because it's a steel alloy, it also has a teflon/silicone twisting ring for very smooth action, mine feels like silk when twisted. For the money you can't go wrong. Plus is has a Blackish Chrome finish - Very Nice. Mine was $13.98 to my door. I prefer 2 piece units though.

10. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

Bowlblaze is one of the few names I still recognise over here. I see CheebaMonkey is still part of the staff too. Looks like Panama is long gone though, he was this forum's (well, CheapTalk's) head guru in my time here.

Moving on. I'm getting a lot of helpful info here. Again, much appreciated.

FreshBaked: Awesome. I've been posting similar threads to this through many different cannabis boards and you're the first poster (so far) to have used a Chromium Crusher first-hand. Exactly what i'm looking for. I've got a few questions for you:

1. You say you prefer a 2-piece set, and in the stickied vapourising thread, you say there was a noticable quality difference between 2-piece and 4-piece. Can you expand on that? Was it the way the pieces fitted? Something to do with the teeth or screen?

2. I've had it confirmed from the eBay seller of Chromium Crushers that each tooh are separate pieces of metal "forged together" (his words) with the base of the top and bottom grinding pieces. This worried me a little, as I assume this method of manufacture would make the teeth weaker than other brands, in which the teeth are cut out from one solid piece of metal.

It doesn't seem as though you're having any problems with the teeth so far, as you have no complaints, but can you see any realistic potential there for a tooth breaking off? Also, how long have you owned yours?

3. Can I ask which other 3 brands you own?

Thanks very much, your answers to these could very well seal the deal for me.

11. SuperTorch

SuperTorch Sr. Member

1. I'm just not a pollen collector as of now maybe someday I'll give it a try. Just grinding up my herbs is all I need and a 4 piece has the holes that the herb can fall through into the screen chamber and not get as ground up or consistent as a 2 piece that keeps the herbs trapped inside while you grind away for as long as you want to. 2 pieces are just what I like today but if I saw the perfect 4 piece I'd still buy it. The Chromium Chrusher 4 piece I got I think was just a bad one that didn't fit together in the perfect way I like, and did have one odd tooth, also the finish on the sides I didn't like they have lines/texture on the top and sides, the top is a nice swirl texture that chromes very well and matches the side of the 2 pieces better with the all chrome on the 2 piece, the 4 piece has horizontal lines on the sides that are thinner than the top and just seem a tad different. If mine had fitted together better than I would have kept it he refunded my money no problem and if he ever just goes to Black Chrome on the 4 piece sides I'll try it again because only one section was off, the other screwed on like a dream and you couldn't even see the seam.

The teeth seem strong as hell to me and I'd be shock if the were individually attached, for the most part the teeth seem absolutely perfect. I've owned it one month

Kinds I've owned: Ebay cheapo 2 piece aluminum $11 to my door - my first grinder 1 year ago. A TruBlendz very vey nice 2 piece unscrachtable finsh(their out of them now but he felt in Oct he'd get new ones that also have a twisting ring)(I won't buy a grinder with out a twisting ring now that I've owned one) and the other one is from the same manufacture as the Chromium Chrusher it's a 4 piece 2.5 that was $19.95 shipped, when I saw the BLACK CHROME 2 piece I just had to have it, When I got it I thought I just have to get this in the 4 piece pollen collector, but when I got it, it was just a bad one, threads weren't as perfect as I like and it didn't fit together as well as I'd hoped but I do feel that if you got one that was made right It would be a damn nice grinder.

If I was you I'd get a 2 piece Chromium Chrusher in what ever size you like, the price is so fair you can't lose. The aluminum unit I have waiting to be given away puts off small aluminum dust where the 2 pieces meet, you can run your finger on the grove and get the blackend dust after just 3 or 4 minutes of use. All bare aluminum on aluminum twisting contact will do this - some less than others. Absolutley no offence to Space Case owners but no way I'd pay even $50 for their nicest unit as the competition has as good if not better units for as little as $14, if the TruBlendz had a teflon ring for twisting I would consider it to be the ultimate Bargin aluminum grinder because the teeth were surgical in their build and their next run may have it(the unscratchable typel 3 anodizing was a huge factor for me on the TruBlendz, type 3 is a military grade coating Mag Flashlights are type 1. The TruBledz I have the magnet is ultra stong but the magnets did not allow the two piece to seat perfectly elimnateing dust but allowing pollen to make its way out while grinding it just didn't have a peferct seal( again I think I got a bad one where the magnets stood out a little and wouldn't allow for a perfect seal)

It's as I stated earlier a grinder can only grind so good, pollen collectors my be different, but the screen on the 4 piece Chromium Chrusher looked good to me.

My vote: ALuminum - Get a TrueBlendz, Non-Alumium - Get the Black Chromium Chrusher. Final piece of advice - Don't Pay even $40+ for a grinder not to mention $80+

http://www.spacegrinders.com/mad/trueblendz.html Chromiums are Ebay only.

2 people like this.
  12. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

Fantastic info there, FreshBaked, I can't thank you enough.

I think i'll go with a 4-piece Chromium and hope they're not all bad fitting.

13. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

An easy way to fix that is just turn the grinder upside down while you're grinding it, so it stays in the grinding section and doesn't fall through the holes until u want it to ;)

14. SuperTorch

SuperTorch Sr. Member

True, I like to hold my grinder vertically so that gravity causes the herbs fall down into the botton half of the two pieces together crowding the the teeth for more finer grind as you twist. However I like the storage of the 3 piece units and sometimes you can grind it to much so I'm really for either way. :burnup:

15. Kush Maniac

Kush Maniac New Member

???

wut do you guys think of a coffee grinder. ive always just used one with a small paint brush. both bought brand new. grind the herb to the consistency you want, then brush off the kief with the paint brush. works absolutely perfect. cost me 8$ too at home depot. I couldnt see a space case being better. Wut do your guys think in comparison?

16. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

^I've got a few mates with electronic coffee grinders and they certainly do the job, but I prefer something more silent and doesn't need a power source. Portability is also a factor.

Anyway, my Chromium Crusher arrived and i've only put about half a gram through it, but so far i'm very happy with it.

Love the textured finish which does well to prevent smudges, fingerprint marks, and minor scratches. The pics and description on eBay indicates a black finish, but it's much more of a deep silver/grey. It only kind of looks black from certain angles. Still a very good looking grinder though.

The craftmanship is fairly high. It all fits together well, the teeth are strong and sharp. I appreciate the number and size of the holes, but there were bits of flakey metal around a few holes that I had to file down. Other than that, it is very well crafted.

The screen is tight, strong, and very fine indeed.

I do have one complaint though. The magnets aren't strong enough. I understand that being made from steel, it is heavier than aluminium models, but the magnets aren't even strong enough to hold together if I lift just the top piece. It comes off very easily and would almost certainly come off if the grinder was dropped.

The longevity of the grinding teeth may yet be found out, but for now, I certainly couldn't justify going for a Space Case over a Chromium Crusher, considering the near x5 price difference. It's a very good grinder for it's price.

17. 5drive

5drive Slacker

Thanks for the info. The manufacturer should have cleaned out any metal particles left over from the build process, but it's always a good idea to give a new grinder a good scrubbing with a toothbrush or something before using. As for the magnets, I don't know if they're just using magnets that are too weak or if it's just not practical to use strong enough magnets on a heavy grinder. As long as you're aware of the problem and handle it accordinly, it wouldn't be a big deal for me.

18. Kush Maniac

Kush Maniac New Member

I've got a few mates with electronic coffee grinders and they certainly do the job, but I prefer something more silent and doesn't need a power source. Portability is also a factor.

yeah i stick to the volcano, kinda need an outlet for my volcano so that isn't a problem;)

I appreciate the number and size of the holes, but there were bits of flakey metal around a few holes that I had to file down.

sounds heat!

19. pushmymix

pushmymix New Member

chromium is not steel!!!

looked into wikipedia and this is what i found:

Chromium:

"Hexavalent chromium (chromium VI) compounds can be toxic if orally ingested or inhaled. The lethal dose of poisonous chromium (VI) compounds is about one half teaspoon of material. Most chromium (VI) compounds are irritating to eyes, skin and mucous membranes. Chronic exposure to chromium (VI) compounds can cause permanent eye injury, unless properly treated."

[NOTE: We have discovered that the only chromium that can be used in metal raw material is hexavalent chromium.

check it out on the manufacturer website and the data seems to be the same. so this is highly toxic.
    any comments?

20. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect The Cosmic Chronic

^

Any thoughts on that?

I'm contemplating ordering a Chromium Crusher soon.... :paranoid: From what I hear, it's an excellent grinder. And I really like the black aesthetics.