Cleansing Methods, FAQ and Detection Times for Hair

Discussion in 'Blood, Hair & Saliva Testing' started by Mr.Crowley, Feb 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Crowley

Mr.Crowley Guest

2. Mr.Crowley

Mr.Crowley Guest

3. MacCuj0

MacCuj0 New Member

MacCuj0 Hair Method

This works every time...My friend works in a forensic lab showed me how...I passed 8 hair tests Never failed.

1. Strip hair with vinegar..Leave in and let it saturate into the hair for about ten minutes. "Dont Rinse Out"....Oh yea watch your eyes the crap burns like doo doo.

2. Should told you this first...But you will need to buy a bottle Clean & Clear skin toning and deep cleanser...It's for pimples and acne....You will need to put that in your hair while the vinegar still there. You will feel a burning sensation. Masage into the scalp for about 5minutes. What happens is it cleans while the vinegar has your pores open

3. Ok now as crazy as this crap sounds but you will need Tide laundry detergent.
    Powder or liquid it doesn't matter. Wash your hair with it and rinse thoroughly with warm water. Please dont get the Tide in your eyes..keep eyes close shut . Tide has the best cleaning agent of all detergents.

4. Now just use your favorite aloe (moisturizing shampoo).....Any kind you want to use.

5. Do that four step process the day of your deadline

I dont believe how some of you guys worry like that.....I'm heavy user of all drugs for 15 years....Be surprise what alittle knowledge will do...Have a nice day ya'll

25 people like this.
  4. Jaycrills

Jaycrills New Member

Sound's like that would leave your hair ****ed up.

5. MacCuj0

MacCuj0 New Member

No not really. It kills all the toxins in hair immediately. Leaves no traces what so ever. Just moisturize your hair afterwards. But what it sounds like is not important, passing your hair test is...Trust
    Mac

ForestMagic2016 likes this.
  6. Suetaz

Suetaz Seasoned Activist

Cannabinoids in hair: strategy to prove Marijuana/hashish consumption.

Highwire - Medline Abstract

Delta(9)-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and 11-nor-Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid (THCA) are equally used to indicate consumption of cannabis (hashish and Marijuana). Publications of the early 90's demonstrate the possibilities of determining THC, cannabinol (CBN), and cannabidiol (CBD).

All these substances are present in cannabis smoke and can be incorporated into the hair only by contamination. Generally, washing procedures should prevent false positive results, but finally it cannot be excluded that traces of THC may be found in hair after mere passive cannabis smoke exposure.

Three authentic cases illustrate the problems originating in the exclusive determination of THC/CBN. The first example is the case of a couple living together in an apartment. Both persons' hair samples had been taken and gave positive results for THC and CBN. The male subject admitted smoking cannabis several times per day, but the female mate denied any consumption. Examination of the hair for THCA showed a high level (>6.6pg/mg) in the sample of the male person and negative results (LOQ 0.1pg/mg) in the sample of his mate.

The second case hair is of a self admitted cannabis user's hair and was tested first by an immunoassay and GC/MS with a negative result. Nevertheless, the THCA concentration quantified in his sample was 2.7pg/mg hair.

The third hair sample is of a 2-year-old child that was tested positive for cannabis by using an immunochemical test. No THC and CBN were detectable by GC/MS, however, trace amounts of THCA using GC/MS/MS. A comparative study of hair samples (screening for cannabinoids using ELISA test, THC determination by GC/MS, THCA by GC/MS/MS) showed that only 26 segments of 66 were positive for both THC and THCA. Thirteen were negative for THC and positive for THCA, and six were positive for THC but negative for THCA. The cases were selected by an ELISA test or re-examined when the blood/urine results or the statement of the accused did not match with a THC outcome. The most appropriate strategy to prove cannabis consumption is immunochemical initial test followed by a GC/MS/MS confirmation of THCA.

7. positive4

positive4 New Member

Hair Testing FAQ

I would like to start a sticky with general information about hair testing. I really don't know a whole lot about the specifics, so I am going to post some questions. I think there are a lot of people that have the same questions I do and could benifit from this information.

Q: How do drugs get into hair (what is the basis of hair analysis)
    A: As drugs circulate in the blood stream, they enter and nourish hair follicle cells. As cells grow, they trap the drug molecules within the hair cells and are eventually "sealed" in the keratinized hair shaft. Thus, the amount and time the drug(s) are in the blood stream is proportional to the amount of drug detected in the hair (3). THC stays in your blood for 2-3 days (2).

Q: How soon after use can a drug be detected in hair?
    A: It takes approximately 5-10 days from the time of drug use for the affected hair to grow above the scalp. (3)

Q: When THC metabolites are filtered into the hair do they create a ring around the hair follicle? Or does THC migrate along the shaft like cocaine does? The essential question being will cutting my hair short enough work?
    A: ?

Hair testing requires a sample of hair about the diameter of a pencil and 1.5 inches long. They can not be done with a single hair. So approximately 50 strands of hair from the scalp are sent to a testing lab where it is liquefied. The hair sample is dissolved in a series of solvents which extract the drug metabolites and then are analyzed via GC/MS. It can take several hours to days just to extract metabolites. The liquid is run through the most sensitive GC/MS machines available, and can detect as little as 1 ng/mL.
    Q: This was taken from Erowid and was originally published in 1998. Is it all still accurate?

Q: How much hair do they need?
    A: A standard screen with GC/MS confirmation requires 20 milligrams of hair or approximately 60 strands. (3)

Q: Can tests be run on people with little or no hair?
    A: Yes, hair can be collected from several locations on the head and combined to obtain the required amount of hair. In addition, body hair can be used as an alternative to head hair. (3)

Q: Does body hair give the same type of results as head hair?
    A: Yes, body hair can be used to test for the five standard drugs. Body hair growth rates are considerably more variable and slower than head hair. Most body hair is genetically controlled and replaced within one year. Therefore, it is difficult to accurately represent the time period of a standard screen with body hair. (3)

Q: How does the Testing Lab establish its cut-off levels?
    A: Cut-off levels are established by the minimum detection levels for GC/MS confirmation. (3)

Q: What is the cut off level for cannabis in a hair test? (? pg/mL)
    A: CARBOXY THC 1 pg/mg. (.001 ng/mL) (4)

Q: How many hits are required to get 1 pg/mL of Carboxy THC into your system?
    A: "You need to smoke atleast 3 times over the tested time period for there to be enough THC to test positive." - Mustangabd (I found this in the "question about time period" thread? Is this really accurate.)

Q: So Mustangabd says three times over the time period. What if you have half inch hair, is it only one time then? 1 inch hair only two times then? 90 Days 1.5 inch hair meaning three times?

Q: So if you have only smoked once in the last 90 Days, should you keep your hair long to dilute the sample?

Q: How does alcohol affect THC? This is mainly for all the college students who drink a lot. Will drinking a lot of beer help you cleen your system out. Your taking a piss every 10 minutes, and drinking plenty of water if you want to avoid a hang over. On the other hand will drinking a lot of beer cause THC to be stored in the fat cells you gain from drinking beer (i.e. beer gut).

Q: Will using a shampoo or lotion with ingredients such as Hempseed Oil a(Cannabis Sativa) or similar cause a hair test to be positive.

Q: How long does it take a lab to test a sample?
    A: "4-5 business days" - mamasita
    A: "Lab turnaround time is about 5 days - don't know if they count weekends or not." -RSXDSM

Test Cost
    Hair Test: $150-$300
    Urinalysis: ~$65
    (Are these current prices?)

Hair Growth Information
    Per Day: 0.44 mm, 0.0173228 inches
    10 Days: 4.4 mm, 0.173228 inches
    20 Days: 8.8 mm, 0.346457 Inches
    30 Days: 13.2 mm, 0.519685 Inches
    40 Days: 17.6 mm, 0.692913 Inches
    50 Days: 22.0 mm, 0.866142 Inches
    60 Days: 26.4 mm, 1.03937 Inches
    How quickly does hair grow?

“On the eyebrows, the growing phase is only about 10 weeks, so eyebrow hairs never grow very long. Pubic and armpit hair growth rates are roughly similar, while leg hairs grow more slowly and are shorter.” So these types of hairs are replaced about every 10 weeks? Health News
    "Armpit hair grows at about .3mm per day." -trapt
    “A healthy scalp hair grows an average of half an inch or one centimeter per month.” Health News

Sassoon Clippers – Comb Cutting Attachments
    #1: 3 mm, 0.125 inches
    #2: 6 mm, 0.250 inches
    #3: 9 mm, 0.375 inches
    #4: 12 mm, 0.500 inches
    #5: 16 mm, 0.625 inches
    #6: 20 mm, 0.750 inches
    #7: 25 mm, 1.000 inches
    Inch - Metric Conversion

Shampoo Information

[edit]teufelfisch: Propylene glycol is the primary chemical in detox shampoos that removes carboxy-THC from hair.

There was some misinformation in the original version of this FAQ. EDTA will not help you pass a drug test. It removes metal ions from hair, and has little or no effect on lipophilic organic molecules like cannabinoids.[/edit]

Shampoos

Nexxus - Aloe Rid (Since so many people swear by this stuff I thought I would put the complete ingredient list down. Only one EDTA is present.) List: Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Ceramide 3, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Thiosulfate, Sodium PCA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Blue 1 (CI 42090).

Aloe Rid Treatment (Nexxus.com says "Used with Aloe Rid Treatment to eliminate “chlorine green” and other pool or spa chemicals. Combats swimmer’s hair and chemical build-up.") List: Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Tetrasodium EDTA, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Blue 1 (CI 42090).

Shampoo Note: Important Read! ::camper::
    "For every story of someone using a "home remedy" or so-called detox product and passing, there’s another story of someone else doing basically the same thing and failing. The truth is, it’s all a big crap shoot for people who have been regular users. The only guaranteed way to pass a hair is ABSTINENCE and TIME. Quit for about 90 days prior to being tested, and get 1 reasonably short hair cut PER MONTH to get rid of all the evidence." -RSXDSM “I think the consensus seems to be that “Detox Miracle Products" don’t work. Most people use the MacCuj0 method or a variation because it is cheep and has given good results to many people. Although not working for everyone. Using Nexxus Aloe Rid or Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three is an everyday treatment that relatively inexpensive and seems to aid in cleansing your hair of toxins. You have to wash your hair anyway so why not use one of the two or both. That is just my 2 cents.” –Positive4

Detox Shampoo Treatment
    "I would also recomend Root Clean by Detoxify.. I personally know three pople who have passed a hair test with no other preperation." -UNLVmike
    "I used Root Clean and failed." - hairtesthater
    Clear Choice shampoo. I took the test and failed! - karmagirl010
    "Q Clean Hair Detox, Failed" - ricky_williams9

Most of this information was found at Erowid. On two pages:
    1 - Drug Testing FAQ
    2 - Drug Testing Basics
    Most of the FAQ stuff came from 3 - SACS Consulting
    4 - Cutt Off Levels

Can anyone reading just make sure everything is accurate. Thanks

Other Drug Hair Test Information
    Drug Test Cutoff Levels for the (GC/MS) Hair Follicle Test
    Drug: picoograms per Milliliter (pg/ml)
    Marijuana metabolite*: 1 pg/ml
    Cocaine metabolite**: 300 pg/ml
    Opiates: 500 pg/ml
    Phencyclidine (PCP): 300 pg/ml
    Amphetamines / Methamphetamine***: 300 pg/ml
    MDMA (Ecstasy): 300 pg/ml

* Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid
    ** Benzoylecgonine
    *** Specimen must also contain d-amphetamine at a concentration > 100 ng/ml

12 people like this.
  8. melanotaenia

melanotaenia Seasoned Activist

Drug Detection Times

Just to have a handy help/aid for those who are faced with certain non traditional drug testing methods. Here are your windows

Blood: 1-48 hours, 72 hours max for chronic use

Saliva 1-24 hours, 48 hours max for chronic use

Hair: 90 days or more for chronic use

As of late, I have been unable to find/develop any methodologies to circumvent the blood and saliva tests; however, with such a small positive window, I feel it should be easy to quit for a day or two to pass a simple drug screen :cool:

Cheers

12 people like this.
  9. Secs

Secs New Member

Teufelfisch, I thought this thread might be the place to ask this. The above is from another thread and is a partial quote of one of your posts.

I was using a product called "UDDERLY SMOOTH" Udder Cream. I use it on my very dry heels and elbows. Works wonders for that purpose. It also works very well on cows udders during calving and milking as well; which is what it is made for. (I live in agriculture country). My point is, the product contains only 4 ingredients (listed as printed on the package):
    Allantoin, Dimethicone, Lanolin Oil and Propylene Glycol in an Emmollient Base.

I don't know if that would work for a pre-test treatment for hair testing or not. It has got to be easier on your hair and scalp that the stripping effects of the super shampoos. Sort of like an oil treatment for the scalp and hair. It does contain the Propylene Glycol that is needed, I just don't know if it contains enough quantity to do any good.

Just a little FYI for ya. Have a good one!

2 people like this.
  10. teufelfisch

teufelfisch Seasoned Activist

Hmm, sorry I didn't see this earlier. I suspect that there wouldn't be enough propylene glycol in it to act as a detox method but it would be interesting to find out!!!!

11. SheilaG

SheilaG New Member

Shampoo

I have been on this site for days now, I think I have read just about every thread. As a former Hairstylist I have some knowledge. I just looked at my Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3 bottle it does NOT have the Propylene Glycol in it, however my husband uses a professional product called Nioxin as it some potent stuff, originally for men with thinning hair as it stimulates the scalp this does have the PG in it. Just to let everyone know Nexxus went public which usually pisses hairstylists off, so if a salon sells Aloe-Rid treatment and you want it, better buy it as a lot of salons are going to stop carrying it. John Amico sells a product call "come back" very potent stuff to strip the hair. As I sit here and stress about my test next week I have very fine blond hair and I am just gonna go with the Nioxin as I know this is some powerful stuff. Also Malibu 2000 treatments are great as long as the process is done correctly, work the product in really well and lots of heat to open the shaft, also when rinsing product out of the hair use hot water as cool water closes the hair shaft back up and traps the product.

2 people like this.
  12. 1tokeovertheline

1tokeovertheline New Member

The PM 3 has the three EDTA's that were originally reported to have an effect on the hair test results. Aloe Rid Treatment, Malibu 2000 and other so called "salon" products can be purchased at Rite Aid drug Stores. Interesting as a hair dresser you are going to use heat. A study quite a while back was started using heat with the Mac method and other treatments. Then the posters disappeared.

13. SheilaG

SheilaG New Member

Thanks for the info on PM3 didnt know thats what to look for. Yes I know those products can be bought at Rite-Aid and without posting unecessary info Hairstylist strongly oppose diversion of product a long standing debate in the industry. Hmmm... well heat opens the shaft, today I used vinegar and Nioxin cleanser, sat in the sun...burned like hell, not to mention I overclorinated my pool and soaked my hair in that...LOL... I will do the Mac method next week before my test. I have very fine hair and dont want to dissolve it with that "cleanser(pink stuff)", I gotta have some hair for them to test. Keep in mind I was a smoker for about 20 years and quit about a year ago hmmmm....well about a month ago I took 3 hits off a pipe and now I have the test on July 13th(45 days later), I think I am ok, but damn thats all I keep thinking about is failing this stupid hair test.

14. 1tokeovertheline

1tokeovertheline New Member

It is unclear which actually works. Some think the Aloe Rid Treatment because of the Propylene Glycol and some the EDTA's in the PM 3. I use both products with a vinegear soak and passed with 30 days clean. I think you will pass but understand you being nervous. Good luck.

15. SheilaG

SheilaG New Member

quick note

The Nioxin cleanser has both EDTA and the Proplyene Gylcol, think that will be enough with vinegar?

16. FakeBoobsRule

FakeBoobsRule Nice legs are a must (LC)

I saw in an earlier post that you don't want to use the clean and clear stuff because as you said you don't really want to "dissolve" your hair. The Macujo method obviously is not 100% and it doesn't look like anyone knows exactly why it works sometimes and other times it fails people. You really should reconsider adding the clean and clear to the routine. Have you tried to apply a small amount of the clean and clear to a small patch of your hair to test its effects on your hair and if it can take it? The salicylic acid step seems to be very important or else it wouldn't have been included in the method. True I did burn my scalp a little but that was after doing about 8 treatments the last day. I saw you are a former hairstylist. You have probably seen some of the different dandruff shampoos that have salicylic acid in them to help treat dandruff. I know all scalps are different but if they are using salicylic acid in shampoos it can't be all that bad, or at least for many people. I would bet that the application of the vinegar, salicylic acid, and then Tide play a greater role than using PM3 or Aloe Rid Treatment or some of these other products or else people would just shampoo their hair 20x with one of those shampoos.

I would offer a suggestion to you that if your hair can take the clean and clear then use it. If your hair or scalp can't take it then at least use a dandruff shampoo containing salicylic acid like Neutrogena T-Sal. This is actually what I started with then switched over to clean and clear. I thought that using a keratolytic would help expose the inner hair shaft so I was using T-Sal and vinegar (I have no idea if it this is why it works but it is a possible and sound theory). Then I found this site and followed the Macujo method almost exactly as written. I just did it about 20 times more than he said to.

17. SheilaG

SheilaG New Member

Well I have read alot of your posts, You seem to know what your talking about. I will do the MAC method as prescribed...Matter of fact I am getting ready and heading to Walmart. Last time I looked they had the clean and clear, but not in pink, I think they had blue, what about walmart brand(Equate) is that the same? LOL Thanks for your input!

18. FakeBoobsRule

FakeBoobsRule Nice legs are a must (LC)

Look for something with 2% salicylic acid. The reason why I changed from T-Sal to clear and clean was just in case some of the other ingredients in the clean and clear like "benzophenone-4, denatonium benzoate, dimethicone propyl PG-betaine, isoceteth-20" held the key. Walmart brand should be identical to the brand name it imitates but there can be a little leeway. If your job depends on it you might want to play it safe and go with the brand name. Clean and clear can be easily found at CVS and Eckerd's and other drug stores. Try not to use Walgreens they are evil.

19. Jerry G

Jerry G Sr. Member

Jerry G's Bleach and Redye Method

Here's my take on passing a hair test. My advice is oriented towards the current and former heavy user. I am a former chronic user of high end herbs. 24 hrs a day for 30 years.

First of all, if you are smoking now, stop until you pass your test.

Some hair test companies do great marketing. They want you to believe that they can tell when you have treated your hair and that their test is better than others. I think that is complete BS. In all my research here, only one person has reported an inconclusive result, and he is not really sure that is what happened.

After much research and a failed(personally, as well as many other documented heavy users) test using the Mac method, I decided that I was going to treat my hair with basics(baking soda, peroxide bleach, ammonia) which open the cuticle as opposed to acids(vinegar etc...) which close the cuticle.

The cutoff levels were lowered several years ago, this may be why fewer people seem to pass using the Mac method(circa 2003) than in the past.

I'm a hispanic with black hair. The Mac method seems to work best for those with light colored, fine hair.

I knew my test would sample from slow growing arm pit hair, so even though I was between 30 and 45 days clean, I was very concerned.

I bleached and redyed my hair 3 times. I washed the bleach and the dye out with a very strong clarifying shampoo(Toxin Wash). I used a 40 volume developer(the bleach, the strongest a layman can buy), and a dye with ammonia that has to be mixed with a 10 or 20 volume developer. I think it is best to go to a pro, but it has been done many times at home. These product are available at any beauty supply store.

In between treatments I mixed a baking soda paste and massaged it into my hair. Then I washed with Toxin Wash. A bottle of TW goes a long way used only on your pits.

The day of the test I did the baking soda paste, then a full TW treatment and then a full Zydot treatment. According to Zydot customer service, the effectiveness of their product is enhanced by being preceded by a strong clarifying shampoo. I think these two products compliment each other.

I know of no one who has failed when they followed this program exactly. Many heavy users with little to no clean time have passed. I know of two who failed only bleaching and dying twice, with no other treatments.

If you have some clean time, spread the treatments out a little. Do the last one about a week before your test. If you have less than 10-14 days clean, do the last treatment as close to the test as you can.

I personally think that the Mac method with it's acids is contra to this program. Sec thinks a little differently. Each person will have to figure that out for themselves.

Relaxers have had very good success lately. Users report that these are very harsh products that are very hard on your hair. Find one with propylene glycol as a primary ingredient(like 2nd) and that also contains ammonia. I have no personal experience, but there are several recent reports in the results thread.

There are a couple of guys that have posted home brews recently, I like the look of some aspects better than the Mac, but they are unproven at this point(4/25/08).

For the last time, Aloe Rid Shampoo does nothing, it is the discontinued Aloe Rid Treatment that contained a large percentage of propylene glycol that was effective in reducing thc metabolites in the hair. There are swimmers shampoos and treatments that are high in propylene glycol available at the beauty supply store. These shampoos could substitute for TW.

I hope this helps.

50 people like this.
  20. dirtdevil

dirtdevil New Member

Quote is from results thread

I dont know the whole story here, but it would appear maybe some can test for the shampoos. I dont see why not. I know they wash the hair first, but, I mean if the stuff gets inside your cortex, where the metabs are, and you get those out with the shampoo chems, unless you get the residue of the chemicals that removed them out then couldnt they find those too? Im sure its more expensive and time consuming, maybe some do and some dont. My job is extreamly safety sensative, got to pass an important one. this bothers me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.