Enhanced VaporGenie Classic pipe as "Plan-B" Prototyping Platform

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Egzoset, Dec 29, 2015.

?

Do you avoid relying on butane?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

Salutations,

In retrospective i realize i wasn't ready to launch a dedicated thread for my "Plan-A" concept (based on Induction Heat) years ago, while i still faced serious trouble just trying to adjust my "Plan-B" - where "B" stands for butane...

;)

First things 1st, back then i could vaguely sense the VG Classic pipe might prove convenient as a "Prototyping Platform" so i thought i'd simply need to work for some time on "defocussing", to prevent/delay premature formation of a hot-spot preceeding combustion...

M'well, initial efforts involved the inclusion of an air layer within my Sphere's core, like this:

[​IMG]

Which was later revised to evaluate a mix of air/metal and even glass:

[​IMG]

Then a screen-wrapped secondary SiC "puck", to promote more even distribution of intense heat above the bowl:

[​IMG]

But i was still failing to notice VaporGenie's patent (US 7434584 B2) actually mentions a metal disc (fig. 11), so as seen from my own perspective it felt quite exciting when i found in a local store what i later designated as the "Unidentified Filter Object" Element (see middle component in middle box):

[​IMG]

But although real significant progress had been made such changes remained localized to the main core cavity only, while a last revelation awaited beyond...

:rolleyes:

Many seasons had passed in the meantime. My enthousiasm over flexible PVC Tubing Extensions never vanished as it always felt convenient having direct line-of-sight, ideally combined to a #55 size "PinHole" (à la VapMan style):

[​IMG]

Too bad hardened PVC will end up cracking from mechanical stress, most especially in "J" shaped articulated version, which is certainly a must-have DeLuxe option anyway! Not to mention the PinHole as i was counting on this to help develop some finer ritual(s)...

Then, besides torch flames often going extinct in long ordinary funnels, safety for my finger's skin became a major concern too...

[​IMG]

Though not anymore since i successfully implemented recessed metal-ring scenarios, finally!

[​IMG]

:cool:

It was also the right move to continue testing sandwich structures inside hybridized cores, with the UFO Element in it, as that proved to renew my motivation a great deal doing so:

[​IMG]

And my imagination too i must confess!...

[​IMG]

Well, at least so it seemed, until i decided to flatten this newly-found UFO shape into a disc, as follows:

[​IMG]

Then being limited to VG's main cavity, inside its metal monobloc, the thought occured to me perhaps that was exactly where i happened to be overlooking all along:

[​IMG]

And it turns out the final solution was to take my core closer to its target by adopting an equally hybrid cavity which extended to the Screwing-Base aperture (hence VG's monobloc became too long)... The thing is i only installed 1 SiC Puck using a Sphere's top opening; alternately, my Brass-Screen wrapped Top-of-Bowl SiC Puck and associated 17-Holes Metal Disc were juxtaposed to it proceeding from the other side.

:)

By the way, after numerous configurations it became desirable to simplify written notes using my own personal notation, for example:

[​IMG]

As strange as it may sound millimeters & fractions felt appropriate (!); that way i could keep track quick just by refering to previous posts with a few numbers on them. In such given case its Front Puck was 3.25 mm thick, its Metal Disc was 1.25 mm thick and its Top-of-Bowl Puck was 2.75 mm thick. All of that could fit inside a genuine-look easy-to-reconfigure VG Sphere, knowing the full treat actually depends on a level of customization translating as a cut of the hard metal monobloc itself, nonetheless.

[​IMG]

Lets say it was no trivial task and yet i must recommend it with very little hesitation:

[​IMG]

Especially once the reader has been informed what tools worked best...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:p

Only then could i expect my dreamed-of ellusive "sweet-spot" zone to reveal itself, sometime, somehow (...):

Eventually...

o_O

Lucky me a couple patterns emerged that proved sufficiently inclusive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YMMV. A favourite layout will be determinded by a guy's targetted "range-of-application", meaning the broader aim leads to more trade-offs and often with paradoxal effects from the human part of this equation (learning curve accounted for). A conservative spotless one-size-fits-them-all setup would range around "4¾ - 1¼ - 3¼" while i'd find "4¼ - 1¾ - 2¼" more appropriate for Micro-Bursting and/or further "Calumet" experiments using weaker flames, etc.

As a matter of fact i believe the VaporGenie company should offer their Classic/Bronze pipe with multiple Spheres, e.g. full-length + trainer + full-custom in order to accelerate acquisition of operator skills - and who knows, ultimately, perhaps even an IH-compatible Sphere designed with butane-free/optional-butane alternate-power scenarios in mind...

[​IMG]

Now imagine being able to inject brief "packetized" bursts of heat directly into such a core, wirelessly!...

:eek:

Oh and of course it already got a fantasy-name of my own: "Lava", where "A" stands for "Plan-A", in a Bi-Energy VG scenario!...

Good day, have fun!! :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

Salutations,

Time for a brief update!

Recent attempts trying to adjust my "Calumet" layout somewhat further (see picture below) have caused strong allergy signs to re-emerge:

[​IMG]
    It turns out the problem was me: insufficient eye-contact on my torch-flame happens to explain it all. The situation is now back to my usual routine using a "J" shaped extension tube with fully customized Sphere, etc.:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Except now the black mouthpiece has VG duck lips and it can be rotated on its base while it also contributes just to the right amount of air restriction, for convenient fine-tuning.

Eventually my next experiment will need to evaluate a · 1⅜ · 2⅝ hybrid core, right now i have a dual-Sphere set: “4.0 · 1¼ · 2¾” works best with my kitchen-size blue "jet" flame torch, while “4½ · 1½ · 2¼” has less thermal inertia that fits medium-power torch lighters such as my dual convergent flames unit (in black/green with a key-chain). The discontinued MF-208 "Female-Gun" feels great in a previous slower ritual but my preference actually goes to what i call "Micro-Bursting" these days, which corresponds to the orange-red king-size tool on that image next:

[​IMG]
    It's like such short-pulse mode helped with hesitations that result in errors...

Finally, here's my bowl after a type of event which i didn't even suspected could be attained with my pipe only a few months ago (...):

[​IMG]
    I tagged this the "Punch-in-the-Face" effect, i could also have made a reference to jet-plane pilots who risk loosing conciousness from high acceleration in training accelerators... It's effectively so thick i wanted the new set to aim slightly away from such potential abuse, hence the new configurations suggested today. It's still possible to drive it hard though, and yet observe how little discoloration resulted from this - because it was intense but very brief - much like a candle extinguished with 2 fingertips won't risk to burn skin: the energy pulse was absorbed before it left a cooking-hot spot behind.

So it doesn't look like it but i do remember it was a tough toke to handle!

In any case the Metal Disc external dimensions are close to 12½ mm (dia) x 1⅜ mm, then seventeen #53 (dia.) holes reduce total volume. Which means an approximation of mass can be performed eventually, relatively to my "Plan-A" scenario.

3. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

UPDATE

June 24th Well-Balanced Duo of Spheres (2016-May-22) [800x500] .PNG

More updates on top of this one:

Dual Sphere June 24th Kit v2 - Empty Bowl (2016-May-29) [400x300] .PNG Dual Sphere June 24th Kit v2 - Filled Bowl (2016-May-29) [400x300] .PNG

Customized VG Spheres (2016-Jun-1) [800x300] .PNG

About method:

Micro-Bursting Sequence (2016-May-3) [480x100] .PNG

µ-Brusting Profile (2016-May-21) [640x300] .PNG
    Trying to minimize inhalation in presence of a blue flame, promoting the use of stored heat instead...

4. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

5. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

Great news!

As far as i can tell this specific configuration now seems pretty much SOLVED judging from the sort of aroma-taste appreciation it can support using a butane lighter with the proper blue "jet" flame output (Slick MF-208 or similar flame throttle prefered):
    Except maybe its Brass-Wrapped Top-of-Bowl SiC Puck could be made somewhat thicker, eventually, possibly like 2⅝ mm thick instead of 2½ - then i'd try a slightly lighter 17-Holes Metal Disc in my core to compensate (@ ¾ mm thick instead of ⅞ i guess)... Other than that i feel further "tweaking" might at best result in little more than a set of lesser-balanced trade-offs. Consequently this is the layout i'd naturally refer to for future "Plan-A" (Induction Heat) considerations, keeping in mind that the 2nd half of a symetric LavaWand capsule wouldn't necessarily happen to be exactly equivalent to that "Calumet" Tube + Handle path relatively to airflow and hence require recalibration...

Actually i'm still attempting to gain the same level of aroma-taste appreciation on my favourite "Plan-B" Bronze Sherlock configurations ("3⅜ • ⅞ • 2¾" at the moment), that's a physical layout which obviously reacts differently in terms of airflow as this other scenario now integrates a 3-lengths PVC Extension Tubing system to allow airflow adjustments while the vegetal substrate gets gradually depleted: my Calumet sessions using the exact configuration illustrated above just felt simpler i must confess. In other words the Bronze Sherlock design may be less tolerant to customization changes or require some "shift" in numbers.

M'well, if i were to compare both scenarios at this point i'd argue the "Classic" look aluminium VaporGenie pipe is most probably the BEST AROMA-TASTE OPTION i could evaluate in a VG pipe customisation context so far, followed by their wood Classic line of pipes (because of similar aerial dynamics i figure). The Bronze Sherlock arrives later, it doesn't appear to "breath" too well using a PVC Extension Tube this long - some more tweaking may be in order. Too bad, alternately the visual contact is less direct using a "Classic"/"Calumet" layout and i don't see how to reconcile that. IMO VaporGenie should have given that particular Sphere's socket some light inclination towards the pipe's tip, this would be near-perfection when customized with my PVC Extension Tubing!...

Last but not least lets mention the customized HerbalAire MouthPiece (from a "H2.2 5 Bag MouthPiece" kit) with a pear-shaped end to ease insertion while i enlarged its upper-half hole to ¼" (dia.) so a genuine VG DuckLips MP will fit on top (in μ-Bursting sessions for example), if desired. The result is more airflow combined to a possibility to adjust in a true pocket format.

6. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

Salutations,

And here comes my next best one i believe, m'well... Unless someday i get the means to move a pipe's Main PinHole directly onto a Sphere as this last customization feature would most likely help to promote "conservation" by injecting a bit of fresh air right above the cannabic load inside my Bowl, during Pre-Heating cycles...

Changed to "3⅜¾", as mentioned on this illustration of July 15:

I'm starting to get the impression one likely reason why i keep looking for a "sweet-spot" in terms of PVC Extension Tubing might have something to do with VaporGenie's path in a Bronze Sherlock pipe being already optimized by design. At least that's how it felt when testing a reversible auxiliary "PinHole" concept (see medaillon), after i decided to put back the Neck segment which i initially cut away... The Open Ring is a simple length of copper wire trimmed to a desired fixed PinHole Aperture, so it can't be made any more basic than that!

:p

Or maybe both, don't try to fix what's not broken + what works in a Classic type of pipe doesn't necessarily apply to this particular one. Not to mention that i modify said path with the addition of some sort of Half-Ball-of-Wire, so to speak. It's seen on my post of June 9 (using a snapshot captured on May 29 actually):

[ http://oi65.tinypic.com/35i8y00.jpg ]

Now here's a couple closer views:

Another basic item, yet well adapted to the task.

;)

The comment still applies.

Finally, about "ritual" lets see how i can perceive the sequence of events today:

Notice the "Pause" cycles with moderately reduced inhalation force allowing the "bubbles" to stretch while "sampling" a stream awaiting for early signs which will guide an operator further, e.g. after injection of a "Heat Charge" into the Hybrid Core (behaving like a "Thermal Bottle") "Release" the noble molecules using that heat then "Transport" the goodies along the pipe's cannabic path, so to speak. Conclude by "Purging" at the end of a toke to promote cleanliness and economy...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  7. Garberry

Garberry New Member

Just see all of you post here. Looks decent and up to date. Carry on!

8. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

Salutations Garberry,

Thanks for passing by! Unfortunately the thread is missing bits here and there as i try to spread my attention between multiple on-line resources while i can no longer stand the torture chair for as many long hours as i once did, etc. Not to mention these last few weeks there's been less and less sun in my veranda to help me perform further adjustments, mainly on airflow since i don't have much left to do but tweaking the path just a little more, if that's feasible. As a result of numerous manipulations the SiC cores i got left finally started to erode so much i already lost 1 of my 3 Spheres anyway - and i've already spent a thousand canuck bucks on pipes which i destroy and/or give away, so to be honest what you found here should be viewed as my legacy...

I appreciate the good words, though it's also necessary for me to mention that i seem to have reached my personal limits: little more can be done without switching to "Plan-A" as i fail to see the motivation without access to the proper Curie alloy parts. On another hand the thread itself could be seen as an incentive inviting future readers to duplicate such experiments or even create more of their own, so that other people find inspiration to seek their own answers, etc. The few items remaining on my to-do list are related to writing a review but i can hardly engage into detailed work as i once did; this may be the signal i should write another letter to the manufacturer suggesting them to add electro-magnetic Induction Heat to their US patent, again, but i was counting on photo sessions with automn colours for the background and it appears i may have missed that window, etc. Plus reception felt a bit cold the last time, as i recall (VG didn't want to be bothered with it)...

Briefly put, if you know a of younger mind in search for top-notch challenges then please send him here as the 2nd phase of this project awaits someone to take over such crunchy stuff. Perhaps the prospect of becoming a pioneer of the "Bi-Energy" niche would be sexy enough as this remains some practically unknown subject to this day, etc.

Also, my present customized pipe offers the means to open a window on "packetized" (someday hopefully IH) vaporization, the Micro-Bursting alternative consumption mode, etc. But yet wihtout the necessary metals it's still a "Plan-B" to me.

More substance will be added later as i have a couple more pictures ready, etc.

Good day, have fun! :D

Garberry likes this.
  9. Garberry

Garberry New Member

Once a again looks superb. I am much interested to visit it again. Thanks!

10. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

Salutations GarBerry,

Great, i appreciate having enthousiast support! Simply remember it's still not meant to replace any ready-made product(s), though i do happen to use "Plan-B" on a regular basis - always trying to gain more perspective on "Plan-A" (IH) mode, to be exact.

For example...

[​IMG]

The idea of simultaneous bilateral heating comes assorted with a pair of complementary/extreme Hybrid Core configurations which i tried to adjust as a function of each other (in a Near-Symetrical Adjustable-Mixing scenario):

Sampler/Trainer: "3⅜ • 0.93 • 2½+" (10-15)
    Extractor/Medicator: "3⅜ • 0.86 • 2½" (10-15)
    That means when used alone those Spheres will feel a bit on the edge, it's because they're meant to work in tandem while powered by electro-magnetic "excitation"...

Initially i imagined attempting to control inlet airflow at the Flame-Catcher level, by sliding or rotating a Capsule installed in a contraption that supplies fresh-air via a pair of aperture interfaces with complementary mating gradients. Then it seemed to me perhaps i wouldn't require the full range of imbalace in order to implement a sufficient method of "heat control" after all... M'well, provided a bowl itself becomes the mixing site, that is: it now exits in the center area of my diagram.

With no Curie-alloys (and much less VG parts made of those!) "Plan-B" will never grow into something more than just a "window", because emulating "packetized" energy injection with fire can only remain approximative.

At least there's real progress made with "Plan-B" in the process, for example the notion of future "bio-feedback" functions helping with learning curves:
    Lucky me this summer i was able to acquire some really decent butane lighters offering stronger throttle blue flames. That's one major item that i wanted to evaluate for a long time and i was pleased my duo also came with a sexy look.

These units were found in a specialized business selling quality smoker articles on the "main" street of Montreal, past St-Laurent (on the west side). Quite clearly they seemed representative of the very last few guys to genuinely care about this particular niche; so that was a relief finding them at last, as i don't praise e-shoping the least bit.

It turns out i'm one of those clients who needs to touch before i buy and i didn't regret walking into their store, admire the elegance of this double set in my favourite application!

Thanks to having a rich set of butane lighters covering a large spectrum of possible throttles i managed to perform some more tweaking aimed at simplyfing parallels with my Lava ("Plan-A") Capsule scenario, for example (notice going back to 10-15 Flame-Catcher/Monobloc setups, both sides this time):
    Then i recalled how aroma/taste felt with VG's "Classic"-look aluminium model once customized, that's the moment i decided perhaps the time was right for this last recent experiment:
    The trick is to drill the hole larger in steps and still a bit smaller than the taget diameter as the surface needs to be polished, especially the depression holding my PVC Extension Tube with proper grip, from inside. That trench is difficult to grind evenly so it's going to require sanding that 1st as the operation will enlarge the whole cavity as well, which means this later feature is better dealt with in advance. accounting for it or the final result might risk being somewhat "slack"... Yet, success is worth the extra attention as this later simplifies creation of PVC tubes because these don't need to assume shapes as stretched as when using previous mating systems. I also used the opportunity to move my cotton closer to the handle while optimizing its support: instead of a screen it's now a simple slotted ring made just like my Reversible/Adjustable PinHole "Spacer" (illustrated besides my Bronze Sherlock Neck/Tubing/MP option - see "Sweet-Spot" of Oct. 2016 above).

That's a nice thing to write, i wish i could offer the full measure of what that effectively implies to open the window on future alternatives though. You see, i regret increasingly often that the most stimulating thoughts emerge in my veranda while i tend to forget most of it once in front of my keyboard... Honestly, i sense i've reached the limit of my own application domain, beyond which i'm exposed to the peter syndrome just like anyone else: e.g. i did gain perspective on many aspects but i fear i've also lost my fresh newbie insight a long time ago. This is my barrier of incommunicability showing up, suggesting time and time again that now would be a good time to pass the relay to other aventurers who benefit from a relatively virgin background.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  11. Egzoset

Egzoset Member

Salutations,

Time to conclude!!

After a few last undisciplined iterations i finally appear to end up near a suitable "sweet-spot" application range somewhere around here:

Basic/Agile: "3⅓ • 1.0- • 2⅓+" (10-15.6)

My efforts to also find some complement configuration for it didn't result in a similarily conclusive scenario - but i can at least suggest this starting point, although i'm not too enthousiastic about it:

Extractor/Medicator: "3⅓ • 0.95 • 2.45-" (10-15)

So here's what it looks like when comparing a consumption method from "before" (smoker tool, e.g. decades older) vs "after" (my present final solution):

On left (above) my old combustion-based consumption tool, on the right the present/definitive fix for it - many decades later.

Please take note that now 1 "Basic" sphere will suffice, the other being absolutely optional don't even bother twice unless you're the adventurous type.

;)

A few more snapshots:

Now this picture above shows a "Monobloc" once cut to 15.66 mm tall/deep.

Below, m'well... Honestly, back in 2012 i just might have called this a revelation of the St-Graäl!

Last but not least: that which we can juge by, intuitively...

But be warned, this was actually after a potent "dab-like" toke that gave me some of what i came to tag the "pepper" effect, and the "punch-in-the-face" effect wasn't really far neither. So when dealing with delayed/deep tokes i'd advise to think of a protective buffer, like a water toy perhaps. Though the present "Basic" Hybrid Core ratios appear quite appropriate for what i had in mind: if the musical instrument analogy holds fine then it plays soft or hard depending on the operator/player while the outcome depends on his skills very significantly. Much similar in fashion to the traditional smoking habit finally, except with practically all nuisance removed.

Past that stage i'd need to switch to Induction Heat but that won't happen, after all i must admit "Plan-B" works fine enough. No drive left for another 5 years term, not even to go « where no man has gone before »!