What is a carb and what is it's purpose?

Discussion in 'Hand Pipes' started by j20, Aug 28, 2007.

1. j20

j20 New Member

Hello,

As if you couldn't tell my question, I am completely new to marijuana. I'm interested in smoking some to see how it feels and more importantly, if and how I like it.

Tomorrow I'm picking up my first bowl, and I guess I am getting a glass one. So this leads me to my first question, what is a carb (I have seen the word pop up all over this message board) and what is it's purpose? Is a bowl without a carb useless?

Thanks!

2 people like this.
  2. vern

vern Sr. Member

When you light the herb, smoke fills the chamber (open space inside the glass). The carb is just a small hole that allows air to flow into the chamber and clear it. It allows you to get all of the smoke out of the pipe and into your lungs. How you use it is completely up to you. Some wait until the very end of a hit to use it, some clear it a couple of times in a hit.

3. ITG

ITG Ardent Dilettante

A bowl without a carb is not useless, but different, and harder to draw on.

A carb, or rush, or I'm sure a dozen other names I don't know (call it a carb at the shop, though), is a word for a hole in the pipe that you cover with one finger (usually positioned to be the thumb, in my experience) to close it of when you first hit the bowl. This draws the smoke into the pipe like you would with a normal pipe. Then, when the pipe is full of smoke, you take your finger off the carb to allow air to rush in while you continue to inhale, essentially pushing the smoke into your lungs. If you don't have a carb on the pipe, then it's impossible to completely clear the pipe without putting out the herb in the bowl, which will waste some smoke. You could always forcibly tamp it out, but it's much more convenient to just use a pipe with a carb. Most glass pipes have them, though, so it won't be hard to pick one out that you like.

Good luck shopping. If you want a bit of other advice, I recommend taking it slow- try taking a hit every 10 minutes until you get where you want to be. My first time was with another relatively new stoner, and we smoked nearly half an eighth between the two of us and freaked out. Try to do it with someone who's had experience if you can, and remember these three things:

1. Not everyone gets high their first time. Sometimes it takes the body a while to adapt to it, but usually I think it's just a matter of not really inhaling properly. If you can have someone more experienced smoke with you, they can help you with it. If you've ever inhaled anything else before though, like a cigarette, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

2. Weed is not for everyone. I love it. Most of my friends love it. But not all of them. It just doesn't do it for some people. If it doesn't agree with you, it doesn't agree with you, and that's that. If you decide you don't like it, don't let other people tell you that you're a loser or you're not cool or pressure you into it. It's a personal decision, and that's that.

And, perhaps most importantly...

3. Remember that weed is, by and large, a benign and nontoxic substance. It will not kill you. It will not harm you. You might feel like it your first couple of times since you're not used to it, but that's all in your head. And if you take my advice and take it slow, it shouldn't happen anyway. But if it does, it's just a panic attack. Just relax, and it WILL go away.

Hope you found this helpful, and I hope to see you around the boards more... and finally...

Welcome to the 420 Lounge.

EDIT- Curse you, Vern! ;) You must've posted right after I loaded the page... oh well... he might still find my advice helpful...

4 people like this.
  4. k20

k20 New Member

marijuana is very good... a bowl without a carb can be hot, a cherry will burn long i'd think

5. Jake

Jake Sr. Member

Also, while you're shopping for your glass, check for thickness, especially if you're known to be clumsy...I don't know who decided to mix glass with stoners, but it hasn't been a very healthy for the glass....

Check for imperfections also. Never buy a pipe with a crack. Some pipes will have bubbles in it, my pipe does. As long as these bubbles are super small, and don't take up too much space on the bowl, it should be fine. Just watch out because that part of the glass will be much more fragile.

6. j20

j20 New Member

Wow ITG, thank you for that very lengthy and informative post! You have helped me out a lot. :)

7. Diamond Rasta

Diamond Rasta New Member

Yeah, make sure the piece is thick... and just for the record, the bigger your [Carb] hole is, the easier it will be to take big rips off the pipe. Little carbs = more sucking

8. DiegoDraw

DiegoDraw New Member

This is true as well. I was just going to say something about that. If you have a tiny carb, you will inhale more evenly, but the smoke won't be "pushed" into your lungs like with a steamroller carb (huge hole usually in the back of the chamber to forcibly SHOVE the smoke down your lungs). It's your choice what you want. I kind of like steamrollers.

~D-Draw