Would You Pay 30,000 Dollars for this “Bong”?

Posted by & filed under Art, Glass.

Weed - Would You Pay 30,000 Dollars for this “Bong”?

Listed Price: $30,000

I just returned from the second annual “Big Industry Show” in Las Vegas, an event that can only be described as a literal glass menagerie. The Big Show, a three day trade show and exhibit for glass blowers and other industry mavens, was simply a sight to behold. Calling much of the glass on display paraphernalia really just doesn’t do it justice. This was, in affect, true, cutting-edge¬†art…that also happens to be functional.

A more detailed report on the event, along with full analysis of the glass and innovation on display will be forthcoming–but I simply couldn’t wait to post photos of this one particular wonder of a smoking device. Calling it a “bong” would be criminal–it’s more like a glass garden that you can medicate with. Without further ado, feast your eyes on the legendary, Oregon-based glass artist Darby’s absolute masterpiece:

The slide and bowl is a removable tail that enters the skeleton of this extinct creature.

The piece also features removable bamboo shoots–that double as their own, elongated water pipes:

Notice the precision on the dino-skeleton by Hamm and associates:

The artist, Darby, informed me that it took a team of glass blowers “weeks” to develop and complete this glass jungle. These images do not do the piece its full justice. Like one of Michelangelo’s sculptures or Monet’s paintings, the work of Darby and his peers (who I’ll be covering soon) cannot truly be appreciated.

Can any stoner outside of Richard Branson and perhaps Joe Rogan afford this crystal concubine? Probably not. But if you win the Mega Millions and had $30K to blow…you’d have to buy this, right?

Comments 18 Comments so far... Add Yours

1. Star

I don’t think I could spend that much on that bong… I dunno, just doesn’t seem that amazing to me

2. Kush

You would have to pay me to get that. UGLY. Personally I would never spend over $500 on glass. Anything above that I would have to keep in a museum case and probably woudn’t use. lol.

3. Aimee Winslow

That piece is probably worth more than that, with all the hours of work and years of learning and practice; materials, equipment, fuel, etc. I love the fact that the bamboo is functional as well; very clever! Wish I could see the skeleton better, though, because that is amazing.

Would I buy it? Probably not; if I had that much money, I’d upgrade from my secondhand torch and cold studio space. :)

4. Megan

Darby and Buck are amazing artists. I had the chance of seeing some of their work at the AGE show in vegas and was absolutely blown away by the detail in the glass. Some of the best glass I have seen in my life.

5. wes

What happen if your animal knocked it over that would suck I would want to at least try it once my friend is artist so i would create my own but its great work of art the detail of the bamboo and the skeleton was sick you do not see allot in cali.

6. neuromodulation

Many industries including the promotional items industry aim to grow and
    pick the times, so one way to do this is see just about every cloud, even ash clouds, Beats By Dre with a silver
    cellular lining. Thank that part of you for its work
    to care for you and invite it to reassess its perceptions and responses and release the emotions that have fueled the physiological reactions.

It works by blocking the movement of the muscles that cause wrinkling and
    thinning of the overlying skin. Anxiety and feeling overwhelmed is what leads to allergies in the first place, so becoming
    anxious about coping with allergies would make a person even more
    allergy-prone. A bladder is overactive when it secretes urine frequently.

7. www.youtube.com

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great.
    I actually like what you have acquired here,
    certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart.
    I cant wait to read much more from you. This is
    really a wonderful web site.

My website :: top eleven hack (http://www.youtube.com)