12 Good Reasons Y Marihuana Should Be Legalized

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by koah_nicole, Jun 12, 2004.

1. koah_nicole koah_nicole

• Since: Jun 9, 2004
    1) It Is A Natural, Growing Herb, Not A Man-made Substance Such As Alcohol, Cocain, Herion, X And Other Drugs.
    2) It Isnt As Dangerous As Alcohol Mentally Wise.
    3) The Effects Of Marijuana Doesn't Last As Long As Long Nor Is As
    Intense As Alcohol.
    4) It Helps Ppl Cope With Stress.
    5) It Helps Ppl With Eating Disorders.
    6) It Helps With Depression.
    7) It Helps Calm Ppl Down Mentally And Physically.
    8) It Wuld Give Police More Time To Deal With Real Criminals.
    9) It Isnt Addictive.
    10) They Could Let The Ppl Out Of Jail And Prison For Marijuana And
    It Would Give Room For Ppl Who Actually Deserve To Be In
    There Instead Of Spending Money To Build New Ones.
    11) You Never Hear About Ppl Getting Killed B/c Of Marijuana.
    12) There Will Be More Hemp To Make Clothing, Rope, Etc.

If U Have Any More Suggestions Please Feel Free
    To Put Them Down. This Was Just A No-brainer
    Reasons. I Didnt Sit Down And Think
    Of All The Reasons.

Koah Nicole Hayes
  2. punx punx

• Since: Jul 19, 2003
    just thought of this but, if u consider cocaine or heroin being a man made drug, then do u consider hashish a man made drug?
    cause cocaine is made from coca da plant, and heroin is made from opium da plant.
    hash is made from weed.
    so they aren't man made, is all i'm saying.

i think that marijuana can both calm you down and excite you, and sometimes both at the same time.
  3. StewScum StewScum

• Activist
    • Since: May 22, 2004
    1) It Is A Natural, Growing Herb, Not A Man-made Substance Such As Alcohol, Cocain, Herion, X And Other Drugs.

Eh true but so is cocaine and herione like punx says. The problem with the both of those drugs is that they are extremely addicting and can be made cheaply when cut with other ingredients to make more of a profit. More people die from snorting other than cocaine than the actual cocaine, but thats not the point. I agree that marijuana is a safe drug however.

Not sure what exactly you meant by this one. Some people feel like they are mentally addicted to marijuana, i think thats crap but meh. One can become physically dependant on alcohol so in this way this reason is right.

Intense As Alcohol.

Hehe, I can see where your getting at but i have had highs more intense than any drunk feeling, and i have been pretty drunk.

Maybe, but i wouldn't rely on it as a stress reliever. If you do you might think your dependent on it.

Maybe anorexia or belemia, but after either or ate too much they still are gonna feel really full and probably puke it up. Marijuana makes you eat, but i wouldn't say it helps too much. Maybe you have seen people where it helped, but i havn't heard of anything like that.

Same with the stress

Above...

True, but it would put alot of police out of the job or in a diffrent department. EIther of which I dont have a problem, but according to them we are the criminals. I agree, rapists, murders and theives need to be put in jail for sure.

9) It Isnt Addictive.

Some will argue, but it is not physically addictive so to stop smoking is a matter of will.

I agree, but i don't think they don't make room for rapist, theives, and murderers. They are people everyone agrees should be in jail.

True, but the goverment propaganda machine is still waiting for that one person that gets high and shoots somebody.

I dunno if you made this your biggest reason or your smallest, but i think it should be your top reason. The economic possibilities of marijuana is endless, it could very well save our economy and the enviroment. The second should be its is not dangerous.

Its a good list, and i hope you take my blurbs as constructive critism and not me taking digs at your list. Your reasons certainly find a place with the hundreds of other reasons why it should be legal.
  4. ThomasCat ThomasCat

• Since: Jun 1, 2004

From what I read the smoking and industry type plants are very different & basically not interchangeable. Good list
    ::camper::
  5. Blitzed King Blitzed King

• Since: Jun 11, 2004
    Intense As Alcohol.
    ..ya right. i might not be a heavy drinker but ive had my experiences with alcohol and my weed experiences have been much longer and mebbe more intense at first. alot of the time when people smoke weed they continually smoke, say my friend had a empty house for a day, and we had alot of weed, we would just smoke spliff after bowl and again and again until we had no more weed. If we had alcohol, we'd just have gotten drunk and chilled with girls. So people are sometimes high way longer than they ca be drunk. also the burnt out period adds to the lasting effect of weed.
    YES !YES! YES! this is completely true and this would create alot less angry drunk people at night, going around robbing people and breaking into houses.
    true, and it is possible that the government of both canada and usa could make a ton of money taxing the sale of the chronic. it is said that there is masive amounts of underground greenhouse growing operations in canada for medicinal. there have been many theories stating that canada is producing way more marijuana than necessary in labs for medicinal patients. if the government could sell this they could make large sums of money that could be used for more important things.
    Good list
  6. PhreshwaterPhunk PhreshwaterPhunk

• Mister Natural
    • Since: Dec 30, 2002

Alcohol is just the fermentation process common in nature. It is just rotting fruit. Cocaine is a concentrated form of the coca plant. etc.

Comparing it to other dangerous things does not make it less harmful. If I said a pistol is less harmful than a shotgun, it doesnt mean a pistol isn't harmful. I don't think alcohol should be legal.

3) The Effects Of Marijuana
    Doesn't Last As Long As Long Nor Is As
    Intense As Alcohol.

See rebuttal for No. 2

Not necessarily, lot's of people I know run extremly stressed lives BECAUSE marijuana is a factor in their lives.

It helps people with MOST eating disorders, overeating is a disorder too.

A fake, hour long happiness. Often times the user will feel happy, even when not high, shortly after experimenting with marijuana. But once the user uses too much, and it interferes with family and friends, it often leads the user to depression rather than away.

No, people often experience panic attacks, where they feel anything BUT calm.

In the eyes of the police, we are real criminals. We steal money for our drugs, we go behind the backs of our neighbors and lie to use drugs, we are criminals.

9) It Isnt Addictive.

It isn't physically addictive, but is very phycologically addictive. I have been very dependent on it in the past.

True, but there are lots of people in jail that don't deserve to be, and lots of people running free who deserve to be in jail.

You never hear about people getting killed because of stealing, doesn't make stealing right.

Hemp is legal

I am not disagreeing with you that it shouldn't be legal, but I am just pointing out some flaws with your argument. If the government saw this, it would not help you're case, it is too full of holes.

Smoke tree :chokin:
  7. Srvflunky420 Srvflunky420

• Since: Jun 3, 2004
    I understand where your comin from but they are right other drugs are natural
    now im not so sure, if u said not as harmful physicly id understand
    Intense As Alcohol.

Marijuana can be very intense but what hes saying is the high is different and not nearly as dangerous. I once got so drunk I threw up all over my room and passed out hard onto a dvd player (dam you to hell Jack Danields), could have fallen down the stairs or done something really stupid like tried to drive a car.
    It can help with stress but not the best idea, will help to relax though
    Sure it can help people with eating disorders who dont eat enough but it can be even more helpful to people who have something like Aids or are on Chemotherapy who cant eat or keep the food down.
    Not the best thing but could help, all depends on the person.
    Relaxation is a better word
    yes it would, and about putting people out of jobs? maybe they could be put to good use growing the plants? :laugh:
    9) It Isnt Addictive.
    true dat

true dat
    no one has ever died of an overdose of marijuana, true dat
    Hemp plants dont contain nearly the amount of thc as marijuana for smokin does and is pretty much a different plant all together. But still legalization would help open up laws on hemp and marijuana for foods. mmmm.... brownies
  8. TiKiTiKi TiKiTiKi

• Since: Jun 15, 2004

The reason why she said that they are man made is because the extracting of the different things is a much more maticulate process. I dont know if I spelled that right... To take and smoke bud off a plant, requires nothing really but your hands and a piece but to extract whatever it is from the coca and opium stuff takes a lot more work.

You can take bud from a plant and get high. Its all natural. Taking stuff to get coke out of the coca plant isnt considered all natural.

Dont flame me if I am wrong but it is just from what I know about harder drugs. ( which isnt much)
  9. Cassius Cassius

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Sep 3, 2006
    "Meticulous" is the word you were looking for. =)
  10. Stoney Stoney

• Since: Jun 1, 2004
    If you want to be technical here, most people don't know it but heroin is a synthetic opiate...made from the even more powerful pain-killer Fentanyl. As is buprenorphine, oxy contin, methadone. Actual opiates (from the plant) are things like opium and morphine.

100% pure cocaine does infact come from the plant. Although the way it was used was by chewing the leaves. somewhere along the line, they began using alcohol mixed with mashing out the psychoactive chemical from the leaves. A few more steps and some heat lamps and they got powdered cocaine, Columbia style.

Methamphetamine...my god what a horrible drug. Man-made from the most poisonous chemicals. When using Meth, your putting things like Red Phosphurus, and Acetone into your body, along with several more deadly chemicals. Heavy use can cause 'speed-bumps', addiction, sleep deprivation, starvation, insanity, and death. As they said on "Reno 911": "Don't meth with meth!"
  11. vaya vaya

• Activist
    • Since: Jun 20, 2002
    Let the jailed smokers out of prison?? Hell no, why bruise the U.S.'s record of holding 25% of the entire world's prison population? :kiss:

[/sarcasm]
  12. koah_nicole koah_nicole

the thing is punx, i was talking about marijuana not hashish. and as for the eating disorders for ppl that cant eat, my mom hit her head so hard in an accident that the switched her senses around for her tastes and smell. it isnt exactly the same. everything that smells and tastes good to us stinks and taste nasty to her, and visa versa. i have depression and i have a lot of stress so it helps me when i get high i stay in a better mood, even afterwards. U hit the right on the spot TikiTiki. u also add things into alcohol. as for what i meant about it isnt as dangerous is, it dont effect (for the most part) what u r seeing such as alcohol. and u dont go and do supid stuff b/c u r high, again such as if u were on alcohol. i didnt say not once tht marijuana isnt at all harmful. it is just less. now i have been totally wasted and made stupid decisions as if i was just high i wouldnt have. but it all depends the ppl and how they're body reacts. My b/f has adhd so it does calm him down mentally meaning that it slows his brain down to where he can concentrate, and physically, meaning he can sit down and focus on something and not be so aggity. yeah it does make ppl paranoid but usually they get to a point to where they laugh about it, not worry about it. i am sorry but i am about to go kill someone for stealing from me. havent u heard of "drug dealers"? i KNOW that ppl get killed b/c they owe money, so that is just like stealing. sorry phreshwaterphunk that was was a bad example. and for ppl stealing for their "drugs" again, i am talking about marijuana. u dont hear about adults stealing for marijuana, harder drugs that they r addicted to yes. now am i such a criminal b/c i keep to myself and smoke a blunt everyday? i really dont think so. and ppl only think that they r addicted. just like coffee or any other drug. thanks u guys who liked my list. later peeps!!!
  13. koah_nicole koah_nicole

thats said that we hold that record!!!
  14. koah_nicole koah_nicole

i mean thats sad. real sad b/c some of them r falsey accused.
  15. arnold layne arnold layne

• Since: Jun 16, 2004
    hey koah nicole-

"If U Have Any More Suggestions Please Feel Free
    To Put Them Down."

how about this.......
    "A Spanish medical team’s study released in Madrid in February 2000 has shown that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active chemical in marijuana, destroys tumors in lab rats. These findings, however, are not news to the U.S. government. A study in Virginia in 1974 yielded similar results but was suppressed by the DEA, and in 1983 the Reagan/Bush administration tried to persuade U.S. universities and researchers to destroy all cannabis research work done between 1966 and 1976, including compendiums in libraries.
    The research was conducted by a medical team led by Dr. Manuel Guzman of Complutence University in Madrid. In the study, brains of 45 lab rats were injected with a cancer cell, which produced tumors. On the twelfth day of the experiment, 15 of the rats were injected with THC and 15 with Win-55, 212-2, a synthetic compound similar to THC. The untreated rats died 12-18 days after the development of the tumors. THC treated rats lived significantly longer than the control group. Although three were unaffected by the THC, nine lived 19-35 days, while tumors were completely eradicated in three others. The rats treated with Win-55,212-2 showed similar results.
    :jawdrop:
    is it still illegal because it could put a serious dent in a multi-billion dollar industry?
    imho, this information warrants furthur (gov. sponsored)research into the subject.
    keeping it illegal is not only cruel, it's insane.
    peace-
    zookeeper
  16. koah_nicole koah_nicole

hey zookeeper,
    i didnt know that. that is awsome!!! i just found out yesterday yall that my grandpa has cancer in the back of his lung and in one of his kidneys. the cancer went to his brain. the doctor gave him 3 months to live. So do u think that marijuana will help him too?? i dont think that it will b/c it has already went to his brain pretty bad. my mom told me that she will find out more about it on tuesday. so i might be driving 8 hours back home soon. this sucks. i wish that it would help him.
  17. StewScum StewScum

• Activist
    • Since: May 22, 2004
    Douchebag goverment

Yea, weed could help him, if not relieve the pain and help him through chemotherapy, even if it doesn't help shrink the tumor. All cancer patients should smoke to help alieve their condition in one way or the other. Alot of times after chemo, cancer patients don't eat and don't build their strength up. Cancer can be beat with chemo and keeping the body full with the fight to live. Zookeeper is right when he said this was cruel and insane. If not for the recreational use, everyone should vote for its medicinal values because it could very well ease many peoples suffering.
  18. arnold layne arnold layne

• Since: Jun 16, 2004
    hey koah-
    sorry to hear about your grandfather. it is a difficult situation at best, and my wishes for the universe to provide strength goes out to you and yours.
    will mj help? i think stewscum was right on with that one, probably only in the area of comfort. the research that was done involved quite a bit more than what one might ingest as a smoker. i have found only limited info on the subject, as the powers that run the show have done a pretty good job of suppressing the info, but i'm sure that the components of mj used in this research were very pure and concentrated.
    i believe that it is probable that, with the proper research and development, the cure will be found. i also believe that cure will come from plants. since mj has shown (more than once) to be effective in this area, one must question the motives behind it's continued prohibition. i think it goes much deeper than we can imagine, and i think the rationale behind the legislation is purely selfish (putting it mildly). all we can hope for is some widespread publicity about this. if enough people know the truth, and stand up to ask "why is there still so much suffering when the answers are right here" perhaps someday things will change. until then, we will have to endure the thousands of bits of "scientific proof" that keep being thrown at us telling us that "mj has no medical use, is a gateway drug that turns people into (o.t.drug) addicts, and is corrupting the morals of our society".
    kinda make you want to move to a small island somewhere.
    again, all of my best to you and yours, koah.
    bright blessings-
    zookeeper
  19. koah_nicole koah_nicole

what do u think???

the thing is though, he isnt going through chemo, he refuses to. he watched his second wife go through it before she died of brest cancer. he says that he knew that something was wrong for a long time but its just something that he wont talk about. he himself dont know that he has 3 months to live. i told my mom last night on the phone that she could probably sue the doctors for not finding it like 2 yrs ago when they found out that he had severe copd and they didnt advance the research on him to find out if he had cancer. i truly believe that if the would have did a catscan on him then that they could have detected it and removed it, whether he told them that something was wrong or not, which he didnt. it is just the point that they should have done it instead of the doctor telling my mom that if he wants to smoke let him smoke b/c the damage is already done when, obviously, they didnt know the extent of the damage. do u think that we could win that case???? im telling ya i should be a lawyer. lol. i can usually argue and mke ppl see my side of the story. thanks for ur sympothy guys!!!!!
  20. king cola king cola

• Since: Mar 7, 2004
    don't rely on marijuana for stress/depression?

Someone said not to depend on marijuana for depression/stress, but it's alright to rely on pharmacutical drugs right! Probably one reason why marijuana is illegal right there, pharmacuticals have no clue how to regulate marijuana so while wasting time figuring that out they fear people will use it wheather they can get it from a pharmacy or not and they will lose out on millions of dollars for their prescription pills selling less. Speaking of pharmacuticals, just so happens one of my relatives talked to someone whos brother is some kind of big wheel within them. The guy who has the brother that works for them told my relative the pharmacuticals have the cure for cancer but refuse to put it on the market for consumers because if they can cure it, that means they won't be making much money. What happens is right now all they are doing is selling the pills to keep the cancer under control and they like to keep it that way because it's still keeping the people alive longer but at the sametime getting them to continually buy the prescription drawing the pharmacuticals residual income! Wheather the guy was telling the truth or not who knows but why would someone make up a story like that in the first place, the way things are going right now i really wouldn't doubt this one bit, especially seeing how cancer patients and people with other medical problems are turning to marijuana over pharmacutical drugs and being harrassed for it.

Coincidently the Bush admin is helping the pharmacuticals out by trying to force people to buy their prescriptions here instead of getting them else where, also, wasn't it Bush who said marijuana has no medical value at all, something pharmacys would want people to believe too!