A fact you cannot google

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by David-the-deity, Feb 13, 2007.

1. David-the-deity David-the-deity

• Since: Feb 13, 2007
    What you think of as your experience of life is just a memory of a future that never occurred.
  2. b1s8e3 b1s8e3

• Subscriber
    • Since: Sep 20, 2006
    How can you have a memory of the future?
  3. 1tokeovertheline 1tokeovertheline

• Since: Feb 15, 2006
    Haven't you ever watched "Back to the Future"?:D
  4. David-the-deity David-the-deity

• Since: Feb 13, 2007
    Time is the illusion of the mind; that is - the human mind.
    1 people like this.
  5. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Where's the "fact"? All I see is an idle speculation. Entropy, a universal physical principle, dictates that in this universe time's arrow only flies in one direction.

For argument's sake, let's assume that your speculation is true. Since everyone experiences their memory as being a record of past occurrences, the "fact" that they are records of future events that won't happen wouldn't make any difference at all.

What if our universe is actually a science fair project created by a 14-year-old in a more inclusive universe? As long as there's no way to detect it, it makes no difference at all.
    2 people like this.
  6. C_Fish C_Fish

• Since: May 28, 2006
    I thought entropy was the movement towards randomness in a system. How does it dictate that time can only move in one direction?
  7. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    The Laws of Thermodynamics dictate that all closed systems tend towards greater entropy over time. Without the addition of energy from outside the system, things will gradually break down and stop working. Eventually there will be no energy differential between any parts of the system and nothing will ever move again. According to the theory, our universe is such a closed system.

Imagine a time-lapse movie of a bowl of fruit made over a period of a few weeks. Run that movie in the forward direction and you'd see the fruit rotting and breaking down. That makes complete sense. Run the movie backwards and you'd see a bowl of liquid yuch turning into fresh fruit. We would instantly recognize that the film was running backwards because in the real world things don't spontaneously move from a state of lesser organization to a state of greater organization.

The tendency of systems to move from higher to lower states of organization means that time only goes one way.
    1 people like this.
  8. Burnin_Dro Burnin_Dro

• Since: Nov 16, 2006
    E=mc2 :wave:
  9. C_Fish C_Fish

• Since: May 28, 2006
    That makes sense. I was high at the time so in my head I was thinking more about time travel than time reversing direction. I vaguely remembered the concept of entropy from high school science. Thanks.
  10. Capton CutClass Capton CutClass

• Since: Feb 18, 2007
    I find this fact hard to believe...it makes sense but i mean it doesnt explain everything...its pointless to argue the semantics of it but how can your prove that the bowl of mush is any different or any better than the bowl of fresh fruit youd probably find the fresh fuit more appetizing. i dont believe it works that way...its like a cycle...like the water cycle or the fact that when animals dies thousands of years ago thier remains turned into fossil fuels. energy isnt created or destroyed...or explain the fact how humans have organized into the societies we have today...that is totally opposite of what your arguing...we will eventually be destroyed and the cycle will start all over again.
  11. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    It has nothing to do with "better" or "worse". It has to do with the level of organization. Fruit is highly organized. Rotten yuch is less organized. In order to move from a state of lower organization to a state of higher organization requires the input of energy from outside the system.

The Earth is not a closed system. It is constantly being resupplied with energy from outside: sunlight. It is this outside energy that allows cycles to continue. Photosynthesis is a process by which matter is raised to a state of higher organization by the energy of sunlight. Fossil fuels are an exhaustible resource, a stored result of ancient photosynthesis. The sun will not last forever, at which time all of these cycles dependent upon the input of outside energy will cease.

Energy isn't created or destroyed but it is only useful when it flows from a higher level to a lower level. Eventually, entropy will cause the energy level everywhere to be the same and there will no longer be any potential for work to be done.

Our civilization depends on the input of outside energy to compensate for the downhill slide caused by entropy in the local system. When the energy runs out, so does the potential for maintaining organization.

Wrong. Without the input of outside energy the cycles will not start all over again. It's not something we'll need to worry about for a few billion years. In a society where people tend not to think beyond the next quarter, the next election cycle, or the next weekend, it might as well be forever.

Don't worry. Be happy.
  12. Capton CutClass Capton CutClass

i dont think you could prove rotten fruit is greater or lesser than regular fruit. im pretty sure ts similair except for a chemical change that takes place...your entropy theory is kinda bogus but if it was true it isnt gonna matter bc you and i will be long gone and btw the sun is blowing up way way way before it happens so idk where your going with it. or how it relates to anything...or anything of the big ass words you used.
  13. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Which is more organized, a building or the rubble left over after it gets demolished? The same goes for a bowl of fruit and its rotten remains.

I have no idea what you mean by "greater or lesser". What I'm talking about is more organized and less organized.

"My" entropy theory has been a pillar of physics since 1824.

The OP was talking about remembering the future. The discussion of entropy stems from that because the laws of thermodynamics tell us that you can't remember the future.

I apologize if my vocabulary and knowledge of physics has intimidated you. :rolleyes:
  14. anonymity anonymity

• Since: Jun 13, 2003
    How about instead of "lower organization", we say "kippleization." That would warm this old heart.
  15. Capton CutClass Capton CutClass

i wouldnt consider a bowl of rotten fruit with lesser organization...it just goes through a chemical change NO PROOF OF GREATER OR LESSER ORGANIZATION...and you don't need your bogus entropy theory to clear up the fact you cant remember the future. common sense would work. the future HAs not happened yet. and btw not all of us are educated in laws of physics and "entrOpy" so dumb down your shit.
  16. 1tokeovertheline 1tokeovertheline

• Since: Feb 15, 2006
    Use this as a chance to further your education.:D
  17. Richi Richi

• CB1 receptor agonist
    • Since: Dec 21, 2004
    Unless, from a high concentration and energy level such as the Big Bang, we move back into what some people believe to be a “Big Crunch” and the cycle starts again.

Or is this theory not popular amongst physicists?
  18. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    I'm not sure I'm capable of "dumbing down" to a level you'd be able to understand. Maybe if I had a lobotomy...

Thanks for being so forthright about your ignorance. Most people who don't understand something would refrain from trying to correct those who do.
  19. Dedbr Dedbr

• Domestic War Veteran
    • Since: Mar 24, 2001
    Buzzby.....

Look everybody, Buzzby's trying to make friends again....:rofl2:

Some Where In Ded Land............
  20. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    The current paradigm is that there is not sufficient matter in the universe to produce sufficient gravity to slow down the expansion and reverse into a compression. In fact, recent astronomical observations indicate that the expansion is speeding up. The astrophysicists are still trying to work out why that would be happening.

Of course, in science the book is never really closed. If new observations don't fit into the current hypothesis, a new hypothesis will have to be developed. Science isn't about Truth. That's the province of Religion and Philosophy. Science is about the best explanation currently available that fits all the observations made so far.