airport x-ray machines

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by WNB, Aug 13, 2003.

1. WNB WNB

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Feb 9, 2003
    I did a few searches, and couldn't find anything about this. So, here's my question. If I leave a small bagging of pot (6 grams) or a glass pipe (1.5 inches long) in my carry on luggage, will security pick them up with the x-ray machine?

If it would, does anyone have any ideas on how to get a small pipe and some weed onto an airplane? I'm leaving for college in a few days, and I'd like to bring my stash with me. I plan on attaching it to the draw string of my shorts, but I haven't found a place to store a pipe that won't be found with a pat down. Any ideas?
  2. Almost Bliss Almost Bliss

• Since: Jul 28, 2003
  3. Niteshift Niteshift

• L.E.O. in Good Standing
    • Since: Dec 5, 2000
    The x-ray isn't your concern, it's the machines that sample the air for explaosives, because they also sample for drugs.
  4. WNB WNB

• Seasoned Activist
    Niteshift, do most airports have those? And how sensative are they?
  5. Niteshift Niteshift

I don't know how many are using them. I know several that are and I'm sure more will being using them as funds become available.

They are very accurate. I've seen them trip the explosive detector because a guy with heart trouble had taken a nitro tablet before the flight and the residue was on his briefcase handle.
  6. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Feb 24, 2003
    On the link nightshift gave for the machine it didnt say anything about smelling marijuana. Only amphetamines,ecstasy and the other off topics and the like.
  7. Herb Ninja Herb Ninja

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Mar 21, 2002
    They often search bags now... and drug dogs are not far. I would not recomend you risk it. Is it worth the risk?
  8. Niteshift Niteshift

They often search bags now

Since the first of the year ALL bags are required to be screened at one level or another.

On the link nightshift gave for the machine it didnt say anything about smelling marijuana.

It detects mj. It's almost considered stating the obvious because mj is one of the easiest contraband items to detect. I've seen the complete list and there was honestly stuff on there I had to look up.
  9. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    Do you have the list or link from the site by anychance. I bet I wouldnt have to.:D
  10. WNB WNB

• Seasoned Activist
    Niteshift, only bags are subjected to this scan, right? So I can just not put anything in my bag?

Regardless, I'm thinking I'll just bring the bud attached to my draw string, than buy a pipe or papers or something when I get there. Seems much safer.
  11. FadedToBlack FadedToBlack

• Since: Jun 12, 2003
    Good luck with the weed man. Hope ya don't get busted.:)
  12. Niteshift Niteshift

Do you have the list or link from the site by anychance.

I don't think they make the complete list public.

Niteshift, only bags are subjected to this scan, right? So I can just not put anything in my bag?

Regardless, I'm thinking I'll just bring the bud attached to my draw string, than buy a pipe or papers or something when I get there. Seems much safer.

Be careful which airport you're going through. I went through one earlier this year that was using this:
    http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/iontrack/prod_entryscan.html

They line it up with the metal detector. You pause inside and air is blown from one side to the other. The air is then sampled for both explosives and drugs. Pretty cool stuff to tell you the truth. Some jails are also using them to detect drugs coming in.

There is another company that makes a similar product, but I forget their name.

And no, I won't tell you which airport it was.:p
  13. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    Do you think these machines could be used for when a person enters a building such as a mall for "security purposes"?
  14. Niteshift Niteshift

I doubt it.

First, there are a load of entrances into a mall. It would require hiring people to stand there and ensure that everyone wen through the machine and paused to be "sniffed". So you have a lot of employee expense and shopper inconveinence

Second, you'd have to buy how many of those machines? Talk about cost prohibitive! I don't know the exact dollar figure, but I know the handheld unit that does the same thing costs approx. 35,000. A stand alone like that would cost WAY more.

You won't see something like this in a mall until the proce of the technology comes WAY down.
  15. WNB WNB

• Seasoned Activist
    Ok. I did a ton of research on airport security and airport weed busts, and I'll share what I found.

First off, busts. There are plenty of small news sites that actually write stories about people getting busted at airports, and plenty of larger sites that do stories about celebrity busts at airports, and they all have one thing in common-the weed was either in the carry on, or it was on the person and they also had metal on them.

So I checked the TSA (travel security agency) website. Here's the airport security process.

1) X-Ray carry on luggage. As far as I can tell, they bust alot of people with pot in their bag, leading me to believe that the X-Ray is pretty accurate.

2) Walk through metal detector.

3) Pat down and search with the metal detecting wand. You only get this if you're one of the people randomly selected, or if you set off the metal detector.

So that's 3 things you need to beat. Clearly, the way to do this is to have the pot on your person, and not have any metal on you. If you're a little more careful, it's probably best to also have your stash in a place a pat down won't find it, in the case that you somehow set off the detector, or are seleted for a random search.

Looks like taping it to your boxers, near that special area where no pat down has dared to go, is your best bet.

Oh yea...one more thing. Don't bother quadruple bagging it, using dryer sheets, and doing whatever other VooDoo your dumb friends have suggested to throw off dogs. In the unlikely event that there is a dog, it will smell your weed, regardless of how you tried to disguise the smell-the only thing to do here is to ditch your stash.
  16. Niteshift Niteshift

The TSA info you reposted deals only with their SECURITY measures, ie. keeping guns off planes. It didn't address the measures I've outlined, which are in place at some airports I've been through since 9/11.

near that special area where no pat down has dared to go, is your best bet.

Huh? If I had an aofficer training with me and he didn't search the groin, he'd fail for the day and if it re-occured, he'd be sent back for training. If you're going to search sloppy, you might as well not even search.
  17. WNB WNB

• Seasoned Activist
    Niteshift: cops don't do the searches, airport security guards do them. Also, there would be a ton of law suits if they went around grabbing people's nuts and such.

Anyway, I'm flying tomarrow with 6 grams and a small glass pipe simply duct taped to my boxers. From what I've read, the chances of getting busted are extremely small.
  18. Herb Ninja Herb Ninja

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Mar 21, 2002
    Remember your not a minor anymore. You take a big risk of possibly going to jail. Your playing around on their ground, airports are federal juristiction, drug dogs, random search's. Make sure you are metal free as you pass throught the metal detector, take off shoes and send them through the x-ray. Don't Panic, goodluck.

(I would tape the stuff to my inner ass cheeks if I was so desperate as to take weed on a plane, and take papers as they are smaller then a pipe. Taping them to your boxers, if the stuff has any weight it could move around and possibly arouse suspicion.)
  19. Niteshift Niteshift

cops don't do the searches, airport security guards do them.

A proper search is a proper search. Period.

And the searches are not always conducted by TSA personnel. The officers at the airports can and do conduct searches when they need to be involved.

Also, there would be a ton of law suits if they went around grabbing people's nuts and such.

Whatever. I don't know anything about the topic.:rolleyes:

From what I've read, the chances of getting busted are extremely small.

But if you do, it'll be a nice federal charge for you.
  20. mindraver mindraver

• Since: Oct 29, 2001
    personally i wouldnt take the risk of getting caught...even if the chances are small. just wait until you get back to your college to buy more marijuana. 6 grams of weed and a pipe is simply not worth it.