Bad Tripping. Need Advice From All.

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by thebeckness, Jun 8, 2012.

1. thebeckness thebeckness

• Since: Feb 21, 2006
    My history: I am 37 yr old. Been smoking regular for about 10 years. I do not live in a medical state. About a year and a half ago, I got a Volcano vaporizer. Once I started working from home about 18 months ago, I started using more regular. Every day. Maybe 4 times a day on the vaporizer. The quality I get here was pretty good. Some was the cheap stuff, some good kush too. Basically, I had a good tolerance to getting high. Never had a problem. Always made me feel great. I have a bad back, arthritis from sports and this helped out tremendously. I was also starting to gain weight due to being inactive while working from home. I got up to 250 lbs. for a 6'0" frame late last year. I had quit working out on a regular basis. Usually when active I was around 205. I was around 195 when playing sports.

My bad trip: I got some new stuff the first week in March. The smell was really strong. Really strong. It appeared to be a Kushy strain but didn't look like any I had seen. Like I said I am not in a medical state so its hard to tell. I tried it and after only two tokes from my vape bag, I knew I was good. It stayed with me for the remainder of the night. I went out with a friend to a comedy club and had a great time. When I got back before I went to sleep, I decided to have a few more drags off a bag before I laid down to watch TV. My heart took off. Racing like crazy. Probably got up to around 120 bpm. I have had this happen before but this time it was way different. I freaked out for a second. I called a friend and they came and sat with me. I do Yoga so I just took some deep breaths. I also took an aspirin. After an hour, I was sleeping pretty well. My heart was up but I was calm.

A few days later, after working in the yard all afternoon because of a cookout I was having, I took two hits from my volcano off of some fresh in that batch. I had nothing to eat since lunch. My heart started racing like crazy. I got really sketchy all over. I laid down in the kitchen floor and a tingling sensation started to rise all over my body. A super bad trip. My mom got so worried that she called the paramedics. They came in and did a full EKG. My pulse was up at 100. My EKG was normal. Blood pressure was okay. Blood sugar was way low. I told them nothing about the weed. They suggested that I eat something. I went back to the barbeque. Had a meal. Went to lay down and the same thing started happening again. Heart beating really fast. Tingling. This time with some chest pain. I went to the emergency room to be safe. Told them nothing about the weed. They ran all the tests. I came back the same as in the paramedic truck. The doctor at the emergency room said that it was a panic attack. Gave me a prescription for xanax and sent me on my way. I didn't take one at the hospital because I have heard bad things about pills. I decided to go home sleep it off and call my regular doc. I saw my regular doctor days later. When I weighed at the doctors office I was 214. So I had lost about 35 pounds in three months to my surprise. My regular doc agreed that it was panic attack and gave me a lesser dose prescription and recommended me to a cardiologist. My cardio doctor gave me all the same tests. My heart rate was still up around 100. My EKG was normal but this time my blood pressure was slightly higher. I was also having some heart palpitations from the stress of all of this. He did full bloodwork. All normal. He did an echo of my heart. All normal. I wore a heart monitor for a month. He said that I needed to eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, etc. and quit stressing. Take a half a milligram of xanax when I needed to but that I was fine. I have only had to take the xanax a couple of times since March. Maybe 3 or 4.

What I am coming here for is advice. I have been exercising, eating right, doing yoga. My pulse is resting around 85-95 again. My blood pressure is still a little high at 140/80. I need to know what to do in regards to vaping again. It was really beneficial to my pain in my back but I certainly do not want to have a bad trip again. Do you guys think that what I was having sounded like a panic attack? I don't like the idea of taking xanax and I have researched that marijuana helps anxiety. I was normal in January. Maybe my chronic use was helping me. Now I am in pain and a little stressed. Am I experiencing withdrawasl from not smoking? Should I just try it again and take a xanax if I feel it coming on again? I just don't know what to do. I just don't want another bad trip. I do want to do marijuana for my back though. Its a catch 22.

I really need some advice and some help. Thanks for reading this everyone. Help if you know anything about this.
  2. Cap'nBakes Cap'nBakes

• Since: May 3, 2011
    I would try a different strand of weed, and perhaps a different way of smoking. Also since it was a panic attack, it may be in your head. I know you are a seasoned toker and I believe you've had bad trips before so the biggest thing is staying calm.
  3. thebeckness thebeckness

Thanks for your reply! Actually, this was my very first bad trip. Never had one before. I have been vaping the past year or so. I flushed that strain I had because it was just too strong of a smell, caused a panic, etc. Since March, I have had some anxiety pop up here and there mostly when I am chilled out or trying to at night. I am not sure what strain it was. Not in a medical state so how would I know? It was very very strong though. Made me feel very tingling after just two toke. It looked like Kush but could have been a Sativa. No way for me to know really. Any advice on knowing? Is it possible that the daily intake I was doing helped an underlying anxiety issue. My blood pressure is now around 120/80 consistently but I still feel anxious from time to time. I am wondering if it is Mary Jane withdrawls if that is possible.
  4. SteoToDaG SteoToDaG

• Since: Jun 13, 2012
    Maybe put down the vap for a while til you feel ready again, few joints slowly and see how you feel after each puff. A mate of mine once took a panic attack after hitting a bong of Kush in the 'Dam ( he never touched a bong again). But he still tokes daily :) . . Your body might be telling you to slow down :)
    thebeckness likes this.
  5. SteoToDaG SteoToDaG

• Since: Jun 13, 2012
    Maybe roll a few j's and just take your time, see how you feel after each puff :). . A mate of mine took a panic attack hitting a bong of Kush in the 'Dam and never touched a bong again (but he still tokes daily :)) . . Your body might be telling you to slow down:)
    thebeckness likes this.
  6. UnitedStatesofCannabis UnitedStatesofCannabis

• Since: Jun 5, 2012
    I usually never get panic attacks either but one time I had gotten this strain called Purple Urkle (indica) and everytime I smoked it it gave me serious anxiety and paranoia to the point where I would start shaking and my heart rate would speed up. My suggestion is to try a new strain (which could be hard because of where you are) or new way of smoking. Also try to keep your mind busy, watch a movie, listen to music or play a game, it really helps to keep your mind off of things that can put you in a panic. Hope this helps.
    thebeckness likes this.
  7. thebeckness thebeckness

Its weird I guess because I did it for like 10 years with no trouble. Maybe I was overdoing it. I can get a weaker strain but they are definitely sativas. You know you real cheap weak stuff. I just don't want to have a bad attack. That shit wasn't fun. Hell made me quit cold turkey for 3 months now. I was really overdoing it though. Got up to daily use of like 3 to 4 volcano bags a day vs. just bong rips on a Friday years ago. It kinda robbed me of my confidence and scared me a bit. I lost my Eye of the Tiger. I would love to get back to occasional use. Not sure how.