Best State in U.S. to smoke? (legally)

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by NaturalMystic79, Jun 17, 2002.

1. NaturalMystic79 NaturalMystic79

• Since:
    I was wondering what the best place in the U.S. is it to smoke. I'm talking as far as laws and legality goes. I know it's not legal in ANY U.S. state, but where is it most lineant?

Thanks!
  2. goldberry goldberry

• Since: Mar 21, 2002
    California, you only get ticketed for the poss. of less than an ounce, and the bud is also really dank up there.
  3. MJane MJane

• Since: Jul 9, 2001
    I agree with Goldberry. The cops tend to be more lenient in California, I guess it's that laid-back west coast mentality.
  4. sticky sticky

• Since: Apr 26, 2001
    New Mexico! :p
  5. manvsbigmachine manvsbigmachine

• Since:
    I say it's Colorado. Hell, we've smoked pot on our capitol building steps when Gorman (??) was doing his campain.

I've been caught with up to an 1/8th (little less), asked if I had anything else (as in worse drugs) and let go, with the instructions, "get the hell outta here with that **** and smoke it at home!" This was at a food fair, downtown! That cop was my hero, cause I thought I was going to be ****ed with a fine and loose my ****!

Locals will tell you, that if you know where and when, you will find masses of people gathering and smoking up - things like drum fests and fairs - and the police leave us alone for the most part, as we are not doing any harm. Peace man.

I probably sound like I'm exaggerating a bit, which could be, but I'll just say that I've been to at least seven outdoor mass-of-people smoking events, within city limits, already, this year!

But, as we all know here, DON'T take your free will and weed over into UTAH. They will be quite happy to **** you with it. Utah State Patrol likes to do this, in particular.

One problem, Colorado is going up in flames. Dammit.
    :bounce1:
  6. RIP M.C.B 113 RIP M.C.B 113

• Since: Jun 15, 2002
    its mos def california because u get a slap on the ass mabey even rist and your smokin the next hour

mcb
  7. Panama Panama

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Oct 8, 2000
    NORML

If you check this page you'll find all the states and the penalites.

Maine has decriminalized marijuana and unless you're selling it the fines are quite low. Maine also has a medical law which allows patients and their caregivers to possess marijuana without fear of prosecution.
  8. NaturalMystic79 NaturalMystic79

• Since:
    God Bless Nebraska!

Panama~

Thanks so much for the information NORML website. I'm very relieved... it appears that in my state, Nebraska, possession of under an ounce is a $100 fine and is just a civil citation, with no incarceration. Possession of paraphernalia is the same, with a $100 fine and no incarceration. Keep in mind it's only for the first time offense.

Looks like if I'm smart about it, and don't smoke while I'm driving (because driving while smoking is considered under the influence), and dont deal the stuff, I should be A-okay.
  9. PokeSmot PokeSmot

My state is HARSH on the pot! 1 year in jail, and up to 1000 dollars fine for possession of less than 20 grams, or having paraphernalia!! My license will also be revoked for no less than 6 MONTHS!!! Arggggg.. I had no idea it was so harsh here.

"Possession of 20 grams or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. Possession of greater than 20 grams of marijuana is a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

The delivery of 20 grams or less of marijuana for no consideration is a misdemeanor and is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. Sale, delivery or cultivation of any other amount up to 25 pounds is a felony and punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Sale, delivery or cultivation of greater than 25 pounds is considered trafficking, and all trafficking offenses have mandatory minimum sentences. For less than 2,000 pounds or less than 2,000 plants, there is a mandatory minimum sentence of three years and a fine of $25,000. For less than 10,000 pounds or less than 10,000 plants there is a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years and a fine of $50,000. For 10,000 pounds or 10,000 plants or greater, the mandatory minimum sentence is 15 years in prison and a fine of $200,000.

Any sale or delivery occurring within 200 feet of a college, public park or public housing, or occurring within 1,000 feet of a school, daycare center or church is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $10,000.

The possession of paraphernalia is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

Conviction of a drug related offense also requires suspension of the offender's driver's license for at least six months but not longer than two years."
  10. t0ker t0ker

• Since: Jul 25, 2001
    CA

I smoke at Haight street atleast once a week, out in the open, and nobody gives a damn... So, I'm gonna go with California :p
  11. Panama Panama

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Oct 8, 2000
    No Prob, NaturalMystic79

It's always a good idea to know your state's penalties for possession. :)
  12. Smokin'Jayz Smokin'Jayz

• Since:
    Dear Lord

I was looking at that site and it made me want to cry. Makes me so glad that I live in Canada.
  13. ikari ikari

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Oct 31, 2001
    Re: Dear Lord

Have you had a look at our laws?
    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-38.8/index.html

$1000 fine and/or 6 months in jail

That's pretty harsh for possession under 30 grams...

It's just that most police just give out tickets instead, but they TECHNICALLY can get you for up to this amount of "punishment"..
  14. Dedbr Dedbr

• Domestic War Veteran
    • Since: Mar 24, 2001
    Ohio is the best!

The law is the most lenient here,even though the new law, passed a few year's ago,has a stupid ass driver's license suspension with it now for large amount's,it still is the best state!;)

Why do you think it's called O-High-O?

:cool:
  15. PokeSmot PokeSmot

You guys are lucky then! I've heard of friends of mine being arrested for simply possessing seeds and stems!!! Penalties are HARSH around here... most of Florida doesn't "tollerate" drug use at all.
  16. SmokerForPeace SmokerForPeace

• Jr. Activist
    • Since: Dec 13, 2001
    I would have to agree. Colorado is a good state when it comes to weed. I always see people on the 16th street mall toking in public. Although the current gov. is a dick. A while ago they found a pot plant in the governors mansion yard, lol. I think some stoner planted it there.
  17. manvsbigmachine manvsbigmachine

• Since:
    Colo. Gov. Mansion

Heh heh yeah, everyone talks about tossing in thier old seeds when they walk past the Gov's Mansion. Ha ha! I think it's funny.
  18. MisterT MisterT

• Since:
    wassup denver smokers

Whats goin on. Denver is really lax about pot, im always smoking downtown, in the Civic center park or something. I can imagine some of the smaller cities have asshole cops though.

P.S . I missed that festival in City Park on the 1st...do you know if that was any good or not?
  19. SmokerForPeace SmokerForPeace

• Jr. Activist
    • Since: Dec 13, 2001
    Sorry, man. I missed the rally on the 1st too. I was looking forward to it but I couldn't get a ride.
  20. Conine Conine

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Oct 31, 2001
    Can't belive no one mentioned Nevada:D