Bringing a pipe thing on a plane

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by fh12345, Feb 21, 2008.

1. fh12345 fh12345

• Since: Feb 8, 2007
    I'm in Colorado and I found this cool little pipe thing in the snow yesterday .its like a fake ciggarette made out of metal and you pack the weed in at the end.i am flying back to new york Sunday and want to take this pipe with me. It has a lot of resin in it but I will clean it out. My only concern is that its made of metal so I wouldn't want tocarry it on risking any conflicts because I will be flying with my parents. Would it be safe to put it in one of my pants pockets that will be in one of my suitcases? Any suggestions?
  2. steakii steakii

• Since: Nov 4, 2006
    They are called a one hitter. They are cheap, and not worth sneaking on a plane. The small amounts of metal could set of the detector and that is the last thing you want. They have them at every head shop for less than $10.
  3. fh12345 fh12345

• Since: Feb 8, 2007
    I'm saying what if I put it in a non carry on bag I mean there's lots of metal objects in suitcases such as nailclippers , tweezers ECT.
  4. Hookahs Hookahs

• Banned
    • Since: Nov 18, 2004
    Chances are if you clean it and stash it in some clothes they probably won't find it. But they do open some luggage and search it. Trust me, I have seen the notice left in my luggage after such a search.

What you have to ask yourself is this. Like steakii said, are you going risk ruining you and your parents vacation over a $10 pipe?
  5. BartSimpson BartSimpson

• Since: Dec 31, 2004
    Where I am from they are called a Bat - hmmm. Anywho, I am a bit of an expert on flying with weed, and I offer some general comments with the advice that "your mileage may vary".

The security screening is specifically for the security of the aircraft - in order to achieve constitutional status under the Fourth Amendment, TSA Screeners are only trained in the identification of threats to the aircraft or airport facility, but sometimes the process yields evidence of crimes not directly related to aviation security. In the course of carrying out their mission of screening for weapons and explosives, when they incidentally discover illegal items unrelated to transportation security, Federal law and TSA policy require that they refer such items to law enforcement officers for appropriate action. See, for example, United States v. Marquez, 410 F.3d 612, 617 (2005).

But many options are available to you - such an item, "clean" and in your checked luggage would not likely be considered a threat; the item may not be considered a threat in your carry-on luggage but that would be a local determination by the screener; and in your pocket it might be considered a threat or a illegal item to be reported. The last place you should have it is on your person, and in the bottom of your checked luggage is likely safe.

I travel a lot. It is impossible to predict the behavior of TSA Screeners - take the 3-1-1 rule for liquids. I have had screeners not allow small repackaged containers because the volume was not printed on the container or because I did not have original manufacturer packaging. I have also argued over the difference between 3 oz or 100 mL (which is 3.4 oz) in a container. Never a dull moment in the Security line - which is why I suggest . . .

that you mail it home to yourself and avoid any risk.
  6. drkseph drkseph

• Since: Feb 10, 2008
    I wonder why no one is asking the obvious...

Why on God's green earth would you want to smoke out of a pipe that you found outside that's obviously been used? That's pretty scummy when you could just buy one for less than $10 yourself... How do you know what kinda nasty stuff is on the pipe or whats been smoked out of it? For all you know it coulda been a weed/crack pipe for some crack addict with AIDS or something.

Throw that crap away and go buy yourself a glass spoon or something.
  7. steakii steakii

• Since: Nov 4, 2006
    Good point. I would just soak it in rubbing alcohol overnight. You arent going to get aids from smoking a pipe after someone unless there is infected blood on it and a cut in your mouth. But for all you know the person could have been smoking opium from it, its not likely but possible. Spend some money and buy a new one when you get back if you really want one.
  8. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I can't imagine anything that would be on a pipe that wouldn't be completely obliterated by rubbing alcohol, hot water, and soap.
  9. Jake Jake

• Since: Jul 31, 2005
    Yeah, watch out for finding pipes, especially one hitters, because they are crack pipes...that also can have weed smoked out it.

Those pipes are common though. You can buy them in just about any gas station, usually between 5-10 dollars. It's not worth the risk even though the risk is small.
  10. drkseph drkseph

• Since: Feb 10, 2008
    If you're gonna use alcohol don't use 70%, get some hardcore 90% Isopropyl alcohol. Although if you consider the cost/risk analysis, if you get caught with it and can't get on the plane or get arrested/harassed by the police, is it really worth a $5-10 pipe? You could buy a really nice glass handpipe which will hold a whole bowl for anywhere between $10-30+ depending on quality and looks of the pipe. Why bother pilfering someone's one-hitter, especially when there's a chance your plane trip could be ruined?
  11. Quiet420 Quiet420

• Since: Sep 28, 2006
    Just don't do it.

We're talking about a one hitter thats worth less than $10-- just buy a new one. Whatever you do to clean it or conceal it, it's not going to remove the trace residue that will be detectable, and you would be in the realm of possible (but unlikely) multiple federal charges (international if your traveling through any domestic international airports). Possession CDS (residue), Possession (paraphanelia), Smuggling of a controlled dangerous substance, and possibly more.

This guy had real problems, accidently bought 22 lbs in south africa, only had a week there lol