CA: Keep Your Pets Away From Pot

Discussion in 'The Drug War Headline News' started by Buzzby, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    When It's Pot Versus Pet, There's A Bad Trip In Store
    In Northern California, man's two best friends make a poor mix when canine companions gobble their owners' marijuana stashes.
    Andrew Strickler | LA Times | 07/06/2005

When Tank, a 3-year-old male pit bull mix, arrived with his owner at a veterinary office in Humboldt County, his jaws packed with white powder, it was clear that something was seriously wrong.

Earlier, Tank had mysteriously consumed an entire box of baking soda — odd behavior, even for an animal with famously indiscriminate eating habits.

But more disturbing was Tank's demeanor. He sat trembling, his front legs stuck out at an awkward angle, his dilated eyes fixed on a distant point. A check of the heart revealed a coma-like 32 beats per minute, far below normal.

Joseph Humble, the attending veterinarian, suspected poisoning. But from what? The dog's owner pleaded ignorance. Tank, distracted, wasn't saying.

(BuzzNote: Could it be baking soda? It would certainly mess up your pH.)

A few minutes later, the mystery was solved. "The guy called me right back and said, 'Doc, I know what happened,' " Humble recalls. " 'The dog ate some pot — kind of a lot of pot.' "

Marijuana's action on humans is well understood: Once its psychoactive agent, Tetrahydrocannabinol, better known as THC, is carried from the lungs or stomach by blood to the brain, it binds to nerve cells and activates the brain's pleasure centers. Effects include sensory sensitivity, motor impairment and an increased desire for Doritos.

The plant's effect on canines is considerably less benign. Even a few grams can cause staggering, vomiting, urinary incontinence and, in severe cases, seizures and coma. "Some people may enjoy pot, but I assure you dogs do not," Humble says.

Although no statistics are kept on marijuana poisonings, the nation's canine-to-pot ratio reveals potential for a problem. The American Pet Products Manufacturers Assn. estimates that 43 million U.S. households include a dog, while more than 25 million Americans fessed up on a 2003 government survey to having used marijuana at least once in the previous year.

In Northern California, which is believed to have the highest concentration of medical marijuana users in the country and where pot cultivation is a popular hobby, vets face a preponderance of such cases, with some attending to several zonked-out dogs a week.

But unlike in human medicine, where entire textbooks are dedicated to doctor-client communication, there are no such rules for vets, leaving them to their own strategies for broaching a touchy question: Any chance the dog ate your stash?

Because marijuana toxicity can resemble the early stages of a life-threatening poisoning by garden chemicals or antifreeze, identifying the toxin quickly is critical. But due to pot's shaky legal status, many people are reluctant to admit that their pet is stoned, and most vets choose to skirt the issue rather than confront owners.

"The classic question is, 'Do you have teenagers?' " says Edward Haynes, a Mendocino County veterinarian who sees a spike in such cases during the fall pot harvesting months. "Then you say, 'Is it possible that the dog came in contact with any recreational drugs?' " he says.

Owning up to the truth

Even in cases where the owner admits that the dog was exposed to pot, many are still reluctant to take responsibility. Humble, who says he treats dozens of marijuana poisonings every year, says, "It's always a roommate's or the neighbor's. It's never theirs."

As was the case with Tank. His owner explained to Humble that his roommate had baked a tray of potent marijuana cookies, leaving a warning that consumption should be limited to a quarter of a cookie. Left alone, Tank gobbled the entire batch. And the baking soda? "The animal had the munchies," Humble says.

Jeffrey Smith, a vet at Middletown Animal Hospital in Middletown, Calif., says he engages in profiling to aid diagnosis. "The majority of these cases, they tend to be young people, sort of 'living life and loving it' types," he says. "They come in two or three at a time with one pet, kind of nervous and looking at each other."

Other vets employ a mild form of blackmail. In cases where marijuana poisoning is suspected but not owned up to, some vets explain that if a more innocuous poison cannot be identified, their pet will need a full treatment of intravenous fluids, a stomach pump and an enema — costing the owner hundreds of dollars, not to mention a seriously bad trip for the dog. "About two-thirds of people, you have to kind of squeeze it out of them," says Smith.

Once marijuana poisoning has been established as the cause of the patient's distress, vets say the best approach is to monitor the dog's vital signs and wait. "Most of the time, they do fine if you just let them sleep it off, just like people," says Haynes.

Because of the importance of distinguishing marijuana toxicity from other poisonings, some vets call the 24-hour poison hotline run by the ASPCA Poison Control Center in Urbana, Ill. Since 1998 the center has consulted on about 600 cases of marijuana toxicity among animals from around the country, with New York and California leading the list.

More than 95% of cases involved dogs, a disparity that does not surprise veterinarian Caroline Donaldson, an ASPCA consultant who has written about marijuana toxicity for the journal Veterinary Medicine. "Dogs eat anything and everything. It's the nature of the beast," she says.

Although canines are clearly on the front lines of the pot-versus-pet drug war, the ASPCA has documented a handful of cases involving cats, rabbits and horses. Humboldt County vet Judy Horvath once treated an iguana that fell unconscious after snacking on some buds supplied by its owner.

"We had to hook it up to an electrocardiogram to even find a heartbeat," Horvath says. The iguana came to several days later, shaken but alive.

Is it animal abuse?

Such cases bring up the question of legal responsibility. Although 12 states, including California, have decriminalized marijuana, the federal government still classifies pot alongside heroin and LSD as among the most dangerous Schedule 1 controlled substances. In addition, a 2004 California law obligates vets to report cases of animal abuse or neglect, which could include animals irresponsibly exposed to toxins.

Melissa Stallings of the California Veterinary Medicine Assn. says, "It's really up to each vet to make a common-sense call. They have to ask, does it rise to the level of abuse?" So far there have been no reported cases of a vet turning in a pet owner for pot-related abuse.

Smith sums up the feelings of many vets regarding their role in drug law enforcement. "My only concern is the animal," he says. "I don't have to be the local cop as well as the local vet."

Others feel obliged to take it further.

"A lot of times a kid will stash some pot in his room and leave the door open. In goes the dog and out goes the evidence," Haynes says. Once marijuana poisoning is established, he says he feels obligated to inform parents, if only to protect a dog with impaired short-term memory. "I've busted a lot of teenagers that way."

Don't Give Your Dog Your Pot
    Samantha Henig | Columbia Journalism Review | 07/06/2005

In all of the hubbub over medical marijuana rulings last month, it seems one question was grossly overlooked: What about dogs? Thanks to an article in today's Los Angeles Times, we finally have the answer for which an anxious nation has been waiting: It is not okay to give your dog pot.

The article opens with the heart-wrenching tale of Tank, a male pit bull mix who fell victim to an attack of the munchies and, well, being a dog, promptly ingested an entire box of baking soda. Obviously Tank's owner forgot rule number one of the Pets and Pot Owner's Manual: If you have marijuana around in reach of your dog, make sure there are safe snacks -- hey, how about dog biscuits! -- nearby for later.

As Tank sat trembling in the vet's office with a "coma-like" heartbeat and dilated eyes, the vet probed Tank's owner for answers: "Joseph Humble, the attending veterinarian, suspected poisoning. But from what? The dog's owner pleaded ignorance. Tank, distracted, wasn't saying."

Ah, good thing the owner had rule number two down cold: Train your dog to keep quiet even when interrogated. (Also good thing author Andrew Strickler knew to cover this one with a fairly tongue-in-cheek tone. It would have been unbearable if written in sincerity.)

Soon the owner fessed up: "'Doc, I know what happened ... the dog ate some pot -- kind of a lot of pot.'"

According to Dr. Humble, this is not an uncommon problem in the greater Los Angeles area.

And thanks to the Times's serious number crunching, we can see why: "Although no statistics are kept on marijuana poisonings, the nation's canine-to-pot ratio reveals potential for a problem."

Ah, the classic canine-to-pot ratio. Just as a reminder, that ratio is determined as follows: "The American Pet Products Manufacturers Assn. estimates that 43 million U.S. households include a dog, while more than 25 million Americans 'fessed up on a 2003 government survey to having used marijuana at least once in the previous year."

So the ratio is a staggering 43 million to 25 million. That's a lot of people with pot, and a lot of people with dogs! Now if only there were a statistic for how many people are dumb enough to give that pot to their dogs, we could really get somewhere.

We don't mean to make light of the pain endured by pups suffering from marijuana poisoning -- what kind of heartless person could poke fun at a defenseless doped-up doggie? And we understand the editorial philosophy of "Give 'em bread and circuses."

But we have no problem mocking an article with the headline "When it's pot versus pet, there's a bad trip in store." Surely there must be more important things for a newspaper to shed light on than the fact that a creature that's the size of a toddler and can't even stomach chocolate is going to a have a tough time digesting mass quantities of weed.
  2. Phyxius Phyxius

• Since: Aug 3, 2004
    So this article is just concerning the dogs eating pot, right? While I'd never force a pet to get stoned, my friend had a dog who would beg to be let into the room when we smoked it out. She'd get in our faces and breathe the smoke, then lay at our feet with the most utterly content look on her face. These articles talk about the effects of dogs eating pot, but no mention of the smoke's effects. I know they're vastly different for people, so I'm sure they're vastly different for dogs too.
  3. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Poochie Budz had the experience of ingesting something on the order of 1,000 mg of diazepam (valium) when he was about 6 months old -- got thru a door and ainto a cabinet to get it. We found a very sedated puppy when we got home from practice that nite.

Yes, dogs will get into anything and will often eat anything.

And vets are quite non-confrontational -- they just want to help the animals.

Keep in mind that dog are not only smaller in weight than humans, but also have a completely different system of brain chemicals. Add to that their inability to digest plant matter and you can see why if your dog eats your stash, it requires a trip to the vet. Often the cure is to provide the dog with sufficient fluids by IV (as the dog will be too groggy to keep themselves hydrated), assist either in the movement of the cannabis through the digestive system without further absorbtion, or pup the animal's stomache.

In any event, prevention s the best route. Keep that stash far awy from doggie -- and kitty too.

Thanks for bringing up this article -- and remember folks -- that Vet is your dogs 2nd best friend...

...have a dog biscuit ;)

Hugz,

Poochie & Lucky Budz

and Mama Budz too ;)
  4. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    From the Posting Guidelines:

There is to be no discussion of getting animals high. You (the human) decide whether or not to smoke Marijuana, but pets cannot make a conscious decision on whether or not what they consume will cause potential damage. Until the day that animals, other than humans, can make a reasoned judgment concerning Marijuana based on the available facts, and verbalize them, this subject will remain off topic.
    I posted the article because of the dangers of letting your dog eat weed, not to open a discussion about getting your pets high. The position of this site is: Don't do it! If you do it anyway, please don't talk about it here.
  5. cutie_f143 cutie_f143

• Since: Jul 31, 2004
    cool

:eek: :eek: :wave: :wave: :wave: cool isnt it? :cool:
  6. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Yup

Yes many dogs will do that... I know of a few personally...

Would be, based on size, breed temparment, history of the dog and at least a hundred other variables.

But as Buzzby pointed out -- and rightly so...we don't discuss it around here because it is pretty close to "stoning pets" and as you read from the clip of the posting guidelines, it's a subject that is off limits for the reasons stated.

Thanks for understanding.

...have a cookie ;)

Mama Budz
  7. killer12382 killer12382

• Banned
    • Since: Nov 3, 2004
    As much as I love Fido, I wouldn't give him any weed....not at todays prices.
  8. vladimir vladimir

• Since: Dec 17, 2004
    if dogs cant digest plant matter, how is the thc from the plant getting into the system?
  9. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    That should have read --- to adequately digest uncooked plant material so as not to cause bloat, a serious gastric disorder due to a blockage in the intestines that can lead to a painful death -- sorry for the shorthand.
  10. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    • Since: Jan 13, 2005
    MamaBudz

Do you give your dogs something, like rawhide to keep them from chewing?
  11. QuestionMark QuestionMark

• Banned
    • Since: Oct 24, 2004
    i give my dog a nice juicy cat every once in a while to keep him satisfied and to keep his coat shiny. cats are full of vitamins and minerals.
  12. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    LOL

Papa would agree with you on that suggestion -- he hates cats...

Actually Grill Meats, rawhide is something you want to be careful of aroudn your dog. While the chewing is very satisfying to your pet, the chunks of hide can be chewed off nad get lodged in the throat, cutting off breathing.
    So if you give your dog a rawhide chew -- and they are a good chew for puppies gnawing out their milk teeth and getting in their grown up teeth -- only let them have the rawhide when you are with them, in case you need to do a heimlich maneuver on your dog, or stick your figers down his throat on his rawhide pacifier. Still beats your favorite pair of shoes, belt, wallet, protfolio, briefcase and your Mother In Laws $750 Louis Vuitton sac.

A better choice are the large smoked cow and pig bones avaiable at some markets and most large pet stores (Petsmart, PetCo, PetSupermarket) What used to be sold as a soup bone basically. The larger bones when cooked or smoked "crumble" into smaller chunks when gnawed byt he dog and the calcium is digestable and a good addition to their diet. Poochie gets the bone from leg of lamb too when I make that -- he's convinced I cook that dish just for his special treat. And my frends who make pork shoulder always contribute a doggy bag. Don't offer a chicken or turkey bone however, those bones are hollow (bird bones are hollow) and can splinter again causing a choking hazhard.

Wasn't that just more info than you wanted to know?
  13. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    • Since: Jan 13, 2005
    Bones

I use to smoke bones when I owned my own market, It was very popular and easy money. The bones were $.10 a lb. and after I smoked them they were $1.98 a lb. Great mark up for a bussinessman.

Not really have a great day.
  14. r2x r2x

• Since: Nov 29, 2004
    I think he pointed out the dog basicly asked to smoke, but yeah i can understand why this should not be talked about.

I don't smoke near animals or kids.
  15. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Did the dog make a "reasoned judgment concerning Marijuana based on the available facts", and "verbalize them". The answer to that would depend on how high I was.

[:devil:'s Advocate]Am I more able to make an informed decision than my dog? He's experienced the effects and, based upon the facts as he knows them, has decided he wants to experience them again.

It's terribly speciesist to demand verbal communications from another branch of the animal kingdom. Dogs communicate primarily by body language and a kind of pantomime.

We all hate prohibition. Why would we impose it on our dogs?[/:devil:'s Advocate]

Meanwhile, back in reality, I certainly hope that I have better judgment than my dog. I would no more give a mind-altering substance to my dog than I would to a 5-year-old. Nature did not intend for creatures without opposable thumbs or mastery of fire to be smoking weeds!

Now that that's settled, what do we think about catnip? :D
  16. Dro-Man Dro-Man

• Since: Jul 10, 2005
    My boxer ate about 2 grams once, I had a bag sitting on the coffee table, and I went to the back to my bedroom, she was in the living room, I came back to the living room, and sat back down on the couch and watched tv. She had went into another room to lay on her couch (older one). About 15 min. later I go to get the stash cause I'm about to roll a blunt and I start trippin hard casue it ain't there. After searching around the table for about 5 min. or so, I go and check my dog, sure enough I see her spitting out plastic parts of the baggie and parts of it all over the couch. My immeadiate thought was oh **** what do I do. My wife so happened to be a Vet Tech at the time and worked at a vet clinic so I called her up, and I was like "Please don't be mad at me, but Lexis ate the weed". She had to look it up in the toxicology (sp?) book as to what we should do. I forget what the book said. But all we had to do was watch her for anything too erratic. She was "high" for about 2 days. I felt real bad too cause she is my favorite. My other dog Teija (Rottie) is my wife's dog, but she hadn't been born yet. We also have a cat.
  17. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Could you clear something up for me? Who hadn't been born yet, your wife or her dog?