CAN : Marijuana Smoke Contains Higher Levels Of Certain Toxins Than Tobacco Smoke

Discussion in 'The Drug War Headline News' started by Dedbr, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Dedbr Dedbr

• Domestic War Veteran
    • Since: Mar 24, 2001
    CAN: Mairijuana Smoke Contains Higher Levels Of Certain Toxins Than Tobacco Smoke
    12/18/2007/ http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /Staff Report

ScienceDaily (Dec. 18, 2007) — Here's another reason to "keep off the grass." Researchers in Canada report that marijuana smoke contains significantly higher levels of several toxic compounds -- including ammonia and hydrogen cyanide -- than tobacco smoke and may therefore pose similar health risks.
    David Moir and colleagues note that researchers have conducted extensive studies on the chemical composition of tobacco smoke, which contains a host of toxic substances, including about 50 that can cause cancer. However, there has been relatively little research on the chemical composition of marijuana smoke.
    In this new study, researchers compared marijuana smoke to tobacco smoke, using smoking machines to simulate the smoking habits of users. The scientists found that ammonia levels were 20 times higher in the marijuana smoke than in the tobacco smoke, while hydrogen cyanide, nitric oxide and certain aromatic amines occurred at levels 3-5 times higher in the marijuana smoke, they say. The finding is "important information for public health and communication of the risk related to exposure to such materials," say the researchers.
    The study, "A Comparison of Mainstream and Sidestream Marijuana and Tobacco Cigarette Smoke Produced under Two Machine Smoking Conditions," is scheduled for the Dec. 17 issue of ACS' Chemical Research in Toxicology.
    MLA American Chemical Society (2007, December 18). ScienceDaily.

(I guess we need to take the good with the bad, huh? We need this research to be done, and we need to accept the fact that it's not all good. I hate to see that there are higher toxin levels in herb smoke, but I have always suspected it.

After all, honesty is the best policy.........;) D)
    1 people like this.
  2. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    • Since: Dec 8, 2004
    A good reason to vaporize? I think so. ;)
    4 people like this.
  3. neconide neconide

• Since: Apr 16, 2008
    Agreed. Vaporizers are gooood :)

(psst. I still love my bowl more.) haha
  4. Dedbr Dedbr

• Domestic War Veteran
    • Since: Mar 24, 2001
    Ya know, for a long time it's been said that herb smoke didn't hurt you as bad as tobacco, and in the back of my mind I always thought that it couldn't be true. I knew when testing started that it would show more harm than tobacco. Of course it's not safe to breath or inhale smoke anyway, so that's a given from jump street......;)

I was surprised by how much higher the toxin levels are in herb, though. I am going to get a vape. I am beginning to think that's the way to go, for sure......:D

Some Where In Ded Land.............
  5. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Not really. People who are concerned about the negative health effects of inhaling smoke have the options of vaporizing or ingesting their weed. I vape every day. I smoke maybe once or twice a month.

Considering how little marijuana people smoke compared to the amount of tobacco consumed by nicotine addicts, it's very unlikely that the average marijuana smoker is likely to cause as much harm to himself as the average cigarette smoker. And, of course, the better the grade of marijuana, the less you need to consume to have the desired effect.
    4 people like this.
  6. hermosthigh hermosthigh

• Since: Mar 31, 2008
    First, I am not a scientist, nor a medical professional . . . so please consider this lack of expertise . . . since I'm really not qualified to discuss this topic intelligently.

However, I feel compelled to ask these questions: Where did the marijuana come from? Since there are no regulations monitoring the growth of this precious weed, won't every sample be a little different? What influences cause these harmful agents to be in the smoke? Is it the dirt? The actual composition of THC? Other environmental factors? Are the conclusions to this study consistent with ALL the variations of plants available? Or only the ones used in this lab and this experiment?

While it is very important to have all the facts about consuming and enjoying this plant, I am often leary that marijuana studies seek to uncover negative factors without presenting the entire picture.

HMH
    (who is off to learn about vaporizers . . . a brand new concept for ancient me)
    2 people like this.
  7. Capablemite Capablemite

• Since: Jun 23, 2010
    I agree. I wonder how cyanide and ammonia get into plants that are grown completely naturally. I would understand how those things get into cigs because there is a manufacturing side to it, but if the Marijuana was grown and dried without tampering I don't see how poisons like that can get into it or most flower buds and vegitables would have traces of it as well, no?
  8. Nephrosis Nephrosis

• Since: Mar 8, 2006
    knowing them... they prolly added chems and shit to "show" how bad marijuana is...

Outdoor marijuana grown with no additives has MORE shit in it then if its GROWN hydro with just the nutes....

Lets do some Scientific guestimation?
  9. SpiralSpindle SpiralSpindle

• Since: Jan 15, 2009
    I was going to say what buzzby did.

Howmany people do you hear say they smoke a packs worth or more cigs a day? Then how many people do you hear saying they smoke the amount of a pack or more of weed?

You do have to take the good with the bad. But when you're smoking more than 50% less than you would with cigs, the fact that it has 20% more of some stuf for the same amount, you're still getting less of the bad stuff.

Plus with tobacco being so publicly accepted, not many people are using vapes, and can you cook with nicotine at all?

I'm still perfectly fine with my vaporizing of cannabis over smoking some teeth yellowers.
  10. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    They're not in the plant. They're byproducts of incomplete combustion, otherwise known as smoke. New compounds form in the process of combustion. If you don't burn the plant, this is not a problem.
    2 people like this.
  11. quester quester

• Since: Mar 19, 2010
    Looks more and more like the vaperizer I gave myself for Chistmas was a better gift that I had thought.
    1 people like this.
  12. PepeTheMano PepeTheMano

• Since: Feb 14, 2010
    I agree, I looked up how much tobacco is in one cigarette and most were either a little above or below 1 gram. In most cigarette packs there 20 cigarettes. So a tobacco smoker smokes 20 grams of tobacco everyday! (If they are a pack a day smoker). When I smoke I probably only smoke about .1 gram a day. 10 times 20 is 200.....so I can conclude that I am smoke 1/200th of plant material versus tobacco smoker? Am I right?
    1 people like this.
  13. l No l FeaR l l No l FeaR l

• Since: Mar 11, 2009
    And if there is ammonia and cyanide in the smoke "just as much as tobacco" then why hasn't anyone died from marijuana yet thousands of people day every year of tobacco?
  14. l No l FeaR l l No l FeaR l

• Since: Mar 11, 2009
    U must have some DANK ass bud if you only smoke .1g a day...

A rillo can be filled with about 1-1.5g and I can smoke several of those a day. That is of course with just reg mids but still.
  15. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    The cyanide and ammonia aren't what kill tobacco smokers. Cancer and COPD kill tobacco smokers. The small amounts of deadly poisons in the smoke aren't enough to kill you, but they're not good for you. In the long run, they may contribute to tobacco's cancer outcomes. Marijuana has an anti-cancer effect that apparently cancels out the effects of the carcinogens.
  16. PepeTheMano PepeTheMano

• Since: Feb 14, 2010
    It's all about tolerance, and the way you can consume. I don't like getting blasted, just a very small high that let's me enjoy my music and food. My example was a little extreme but I still think I got my point across :D
    2 people like this.
  17. Le0n Le0n

• Since: Feb 17, 2010
    I find it hard to believe a tampered product such as Tobacco releases LESS carcinogen than natural marijuana. I find it hard to believe because a product such as tobacco which knowingly has many additives still releases less carcinogen.

Also,There are many other alternatives to using combustion method, all of which are much more potent anyway.

Sometimes it is hard to avoid carcinogens, so I would also be reluctant to believe that a user of marijuana and a user of tobacco both share the same consistant intake of carcinogen.

I use both, I guess that could be called wreckless? Anyway, I have my vape here which is used regularley. At when it comes down to it, perhaps combustion methods are becoming obsolete? Perhaps. We used to smoke, now many vape. Cigarettes MAY start to see the E-Cig become an alternative to the new generations.

Just a though :)
  18. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    The levels of carcinogens in marijuana smoke is pretty well established. I see no reason to doubt the figures.

They don't, but not because marijuana has lower levels. The average pack-a-day smoker burns 20 grams of tobacco every day. I vape 0.3 g of marijuana every day and I don't know any marijuana users who smoke more than 2 g a day. More important, it has been proved conclusively (study of 65,000 people) that marijuana does not contribute to developing lung cancer and may actually prevent it in some cigarette smokers.

Wreckless is when you don't smash up your car. Smoking tobacco is reckless, but your marijuana use might protect you from its effects.
    2 people like this.
  19. Freshness420 Freshness420

• Since: Nov 10, 2009

I mean if it is worse then wouldn't there be more people dying of marijuana every year? The smoke of the herb has anti tumorous characteristics and I think this leads to the Carcinogens and other toxins not affect you as much as tobacco products. I mean more people who just stick to weed would be getting cancer or more health factors if those carcinogens affect them as much as they did in cigarettes.
  20. metanoia metanoia

• Smoke. Weed.
    • Since: Oct 7, 2009
    A machine the simulates smoking habits of users eh? What kind of habits do I have? Biting my lip?
    1 people like this.