Cannabis in Food...

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by haymaker, Aug 11, 2009.

1. haymaker haymaker

• Since: Aug 5, 2009
    Ok, so here in good old Alberta, Canada cops are caring less and less about possession of small amounts of marijuana. You'd think that a province that relies so heavily on boom bust oil/gas would legalize this shit and never have a drop in revenue... but it is run by rednecks....

ANYWAYS.. here's my thoughts.

Anti-depressants, Tylenol, Morphine, Oxycotin... all of these "legal" drugs have "illegal" substances in them. There are opiates, amphedimines and modified hormones in these drugs.. these substances by themselves are illegal but when packaged in a pill they are allowed to be sold to ANYONE.

When you extract the THC from Cannabis and put it in food stuffs (oils, butter, food) you are no longer in possession of the Cannabis plant, but an extract of it. THC is not illegal on its own (or if it is how do you determine amounts of THC????), so if you extact it into a food it is simply infused into a different substance... and if that substance is brownies or butter, well those things are not illegal.

If I was to be pulled over with 3 pounds of weed butter how would they ever know the concentration and therefore how could they charge me with any offense? If a drug sniffing dog took a liking to my chocolate brownies how could they determine if there was any weed in them or if the dog was simply being a dog?

Take your weed, extract it into a substance such as food or booze, get rid of the majority of the smell and all of the evidence... that is the solution to minor possession and the cops.... at least here in Alberta.

Oh and by the way I have NEVER heard of a case in Canada of someone going to jail for possession of food that contained THC......

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback on this.
  2. Sambuca Sambuca

• Since: Aug 11, 2009
    dog

Well i cant completely answer your question.
    But im pretty sure if the dog sniffed your brownies, the cop wouldn't be able to determine if there was THC in them.
    He cant just take a civilians food out of the car.

Hope that helps!
    -Sambuca :spin:
  3. quirkytendencies quirkytendencies

• Since: Jun 18, 2009
    if you are found with THC in your food you are charged not for how much weed you put in it but the weight of the food itself.so you will be charged for 3 pounds of weed.(from what i have heard,not completely sure).like any other weed related law,its bullshit.
    1 people like this.
  4. zappy zappy

• Pondering Primate
    • Since: Aug 26, 2009
    Laws surrounding weed are a complete shamble. Legalize it already, its just a plant!
  5. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    Nopt sure about Canadian laws, but in the US, possession of THC is specifically against the law in any form. Too, if a dog hits onb your brownies, the cops most certainly CAN seize the food for testing if they believe it to contaion an illegal substance. Not sure why people would think otherwise. If simply hiding or extracvting weed into food would make it somehow "unseizable" or somehow legal, EVERYONE would be doing somehting along those lines. The technonolgy certainly exists to test food for weed, and even to find out precise concentrations. Too, as quirkytendencies pointed out, by addingh three ozs of cannabis to 3 lbs of browniues, you may very well be seriously screwing yourself over, as some jurisdictions include the weight of the drug's "carrier" towards the total weight of the "drugs" found in your case, brownies or butter.

Believe me people...if simply cooking weed somehow changed its legal status or made it undetectable, you wouldn't be the fiorst person to think of it. EVERYONE would likely follow the trend if it was actually a valid method to legally possess THC
  6. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    They don't have illegal substances in them. They are illegal substances unless you have a doctor's prescription. Except Tylenol. There's nothing in Tylenol except acetaminophen, which is entirely legal.

THC is illegal, unless it's in the form of a medication prescribed by a doctor. It's on Schedule II. Any substance containing THC, other than the prescription medications, is also illegal.

It wouldn't matter. You would be charged with possession of three pounds of cannabis.

If the officer has a reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed, he can seize the brownies and have them analyzed. The dog's alerting would provide a reasonable suspicion. Drug dogs are training to stop, sit, and stare at contraband, not try to eat it.

[Note: These statements relate to laws in the United States. If you live in Canada, YMMD.]
  7. haymaker haymaker

• Since: Aug 5, 2009
    Ok, thanks everyone for your responses.

That law is complete BS by the way, if you put 1/4 ounce of weed into 3 pounds of brownies I would love to see them charge me with 3 pounds of cannabis possesion here in Canada. It would never fly; infact it would blow up in court very easily.

Anyways, what do you think the probability of a cop pulling you over and being suspicious of brownies or any other food substances is? Do you actually think a cop, pulling you over for another infraction lets say, would search your car and be suspicious of food? If they searched your car and found groceries and a tray of brownies do you actually think they would seize the brownies?

Here in Alberta the chances are next to none, infact I can gurantee that no person here in Alberta has ever done jail time for possession of food stuffs containing THC. Mainly because there is no plant matter and therefore they have no idea where the weed came from and you have no plant matter on you.

Thoughts?
  8. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    If you are soooo sure its a legit way to avoid detection, why are you even asking us? we've told you its illegal and you can be arrested for it. At this point, its up to you. Why ask our thoughts if you are going to dismiss the advice you are given?
    1 people like this.