Caught with marijuana possession and a pipe in NC

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by camelbug08, Apr 2, 2005.

1. camelbug08 camelbug08

• Since: Apr 2, 2005
    Ok so I got caught. Never thought I would, but I did. Ok. Got a ticket that says, "did possess less then 1/2 ounce of marajuna." On the bottom it also says "did knowingly possess drug paraphanalia with a pipe used ot smoke marajuana." I have nothing on my record at all. I was just wondering what could happen. I think I am gonna get probation, but what does that entail, sorry if this has been posted before, but I am sorta freaking out. Oh and should I get a lawyer?
  2. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I've highlighted the parts that might apply to you.

From the NORML page for NC pot laws:
    Possession of one half ounce or less is punishable by up to 30 days in jail, most likely suspended. Possession of greater than one half ounce is punishable by 1 - 120 days in jail, with a possibility of community service or probation in lieu of jail. Possession greater than 1.5 ounces increases the penalties to 8 - 13 months in jail.Possession of greater than one half ounce is punishable by 1 - 120 days in jail, with a possibility of community service or probation in lieu of jail. Possession greater than 1.5 ounces increases the penalties to 8 - 13 months in jail.

Manufacture, sale or delivery of less than five grams, for no remuneration, is considered possession and not sale. For amounts of ten pounds or less, the penalty is 5 - 6 months in jail. Sale or delivery of any amount greater than 10 pounds is considered trafficking and includes a mandatory minimum sentence. An amount greater than 10 pounds, is punishable by 25 - 30 months in prison and a fine of at least $5,000. Sale or delivery of 50 pounds or more is punishable by 35 - 42 months in prison and a fine of at least $25,000. Amounts of 2,000 pounds or greater carry a penalty of 70 - 84 months in prison and a fine of at least $50,000. Sale or delivery of 10,000 pounds or more is punishable by 175 - 219 months in prison and a fine of at least $200,000.

Penalties for sale, delivery or manufacture are increased if the sale occurs within 300 feet of a school zone if the offender is over 21 and if the sale was made to a minor or to a pregnant woman.

Possession of paraphernalia is punishable by up to six months in jail.
  3. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    • Since: Jan 13, 2005
    Don't Freak Out!

Get a lawyer ASAP and get a deal to keep that mishap off your record. When getting a job, sometimes employers do a 7 year backround check. A charge like that could stop you from getting that job. :)
  4. camelbug08 camelbug08

So, I should get a lawyer, and at best/worst what am I looking at?
  5. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    Get A Lawyer!

At least you will have someone in your corner to get the charges dimminished. :)
  6. vladimir vladimir

• Since: Dec 17, 2004
    i dont know about north carolina, but i know that most of my friends who had a clean record and then got caught with 'personal' amounts of marijuana and a pipe or bong ended up on probation or diversion for about 6 months. this is in kansas btw.
  7. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    Valdimir

Valdimir, with probation the offense would still be on the books and affect employers that do backround checks. :)
  8. vladimir vladimir

• Since: Dec 17, 2004
    i thought the whole point of diversion/probation is that the charge is off your record if you complete the whole program???

or was that just in high school?
  9. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    vladimir

vladimir some companies drug test for insurance, others do backround checks. Some do both.

They go back 7 years. If you are charged over the age of 18, that will become premanent on your backround file, unless someone is there to make sure it never goes on your criminal history, DUI'S are also included in that group, Posession charges are easily dismissable in court, but can stay on your record forever. If a company goes back 7 years, that means 7 years from the time of the charge.

That's where the Lawyer comes in, they know the court system, and if it is the first charge, the lawyer can request to the judge :) to have it never appear for public record.
  10. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Here's two more points why you do not want a record of this if possible:

1-- certain jobs can and will review even your Juvenile record ... (the Bar committee in most States is a good example)

2-- this might effect your ability to get Higher Education funds...so if you have any plans for college now or in the future...get a lawyer
  11. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    Thank You

Thanks MamaBuds, I needed support at this point. I didn't want to confuse myself into believing, I know, what I put into words. (Or What I Am Talking About)

White Sox Won!!

The Cubs are Winning!!!

Will the Illinois Basketball Team win???????

Tune in/Same Bat Channel/Same Bat Time :laugh: :laugh:
  12. nchz nchz

• Since: Apr 4, 2005
    arrested

i got arrested last may, almost a year ago now with a bowl and about a bowlpack on me. i had 30 hours of community service, and 6 months of probation. i throught i was off hence the fact i got put on probation in late august / beginning of september but, i have the possibility of a urine test coming up soon and ive been smoking a lot lately for the past month. wish me luck
  13. camelbug08 camelbug08

Thanks you guys, ya'll are a big help. One of my friends got caught with the same thing ans she got somethign called "project turnaround" does anyone know about this. I am already in college, and most jobs only ask for felonies right? I hope I don't lose any of my scholarships, as they are keepng me in college. Does anyone know how much a lawyer is for this, am I looking at more than 250 dollars?
  14. camelbug08 camelbug08

Ok guys here's what happened. Went to court and got the weed part dropped, but for the bowl the judge gave me 12 months unsupervised probation, and said that in a year I could come back and try to get it expunged. I didn't have a lawyer, but thats because i couldn't afford one. The only thing I am worried about is my financial aid for school. The next time I fill it out tho, i will be off of probation so I guess thats cool. I thought a year of probation was harsh, but I guess it could have been worse. Any thoughts on this?
  15. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    Stay Clean

Keep out of trouble for the year so it won't stay on your record. Good Luck! ;)