Clay Bong Safety

Discussion in 'Homemade Paraphernalia' started by Dank Nugz, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Dank Nugz Dank Nugz

• Since: Jan 10, 2005
    I did a search on here but couldn't find anything.

I built a clay bong in art class, and glazed it. I put a slide in it and I am wondering if it is safe to use? Or is it toxic to be smoking out of something made of clay?

Anyone know?:confused:
  2. Midnightsmoker Midnightsmoker

• Banned
    • Since: Sep 16, 2004
    What's the bowl made out of? I don't think it matters though. I'm pretty sure clay would be fine to use. You should post a pic.
  3. PooFoot PooFoot

• Since: Jan 13, 2005
    they make ceramic bongs, should be fine to smoke out of it as long as your using a glass bowl, thats all the flames touch really- id make sure to wash it out a few times though just incase theres any residue or anything- and yea, PIX!
  4. homemadebubbler homemadebubbler

• Always bubblin'
    • Since: Jun 2, 2005
    Clay seems to be safe (although I'm not sure about the glaze). All that really matters is the bowl.... If that is clay to I personally wouldnt glaze/paint it. Oh ant btw get us a pic!
  5. Stoned247 Stoned247

• Since: Aug 29, 2005

Why would he glaze the inside of the bong? I cant see how glazing the outside would hurt any.
  6. imported_ThurgoodJenkins imported_ThurgoodJenkins

• Banned
    • Since: Nov 29, 2004
    you made it in art class?

heh weirdo
  7. Stoned247 Stoned247

• Since: Aug 29, 2005

Haha not wierdo.. STONER!
  8. Bx4Lyfe_2005 Bx4Lyfe_2005

• Since: Aug 10, 2005
    If you just glazed the OUTSIDE of it, and not the inside or the inside of the bowl itself, you should be ok. Just think is there anyplace where the flame would burn the glaze, or where you could inhale the glaze?

The clay itself should be safe, since you would have burned out any impurites when you fired it - But if you are unsure, why not ask the teacher? Dont say you made a water pipe- tell them you want to make a clay pipe for a relative, and you want to know if its safe for smokeing or just as a conversation piece.

Yes, post pix, should be interesting to see!
  9. Yaznaki Yaznaki

• Since: May 1, 2005
    I haven't hit up google yet, but I thought ceramic glaze was glass...

And ceramic is fine to smoke from.. it just tastes terrible compared to glass :D

EDIT:
    stolen from here

how hot is a bic's flame? combustion of MJ is around 400f

EDIT:
    Stolen from here
    It also says a propane torch maxes at around 1830C

EDIT Yet again...

Stolen from here

I'd say not to smoke the glaze :D
  10. Dank Nugz Dank Nugz

Thanks for all of the replies guys. It's only glazed on the outside so I think It's alright to smoke. For the bowl I used one of the caps to the icing things bakers use. It's like a metal funnel. I don't know if that's completely safe to use, but It's only temporary until I get a glass slide.

I'll try and get a pic up as soon as I find our digital camera.
  11. Bx4Lyfe_2005 Bx4Lyfe_2005

• Since: Aug 10, 2005
    I hate to be a real nitpicker, but you MIGHT want to think on using that metal funnel. Because its a blend of other metals (tin, aluminum, zinc plating) it'll give off the same heavy metal fuming as other products. If it wasn't made to get hot, then anything it gives off when exposed to continus flame isn't very good.

My acrylic water pipe uses a metal bowl, and even though its a thicker material, and made to hold hot tobbacco in it, its still somewhat not as pleasent as smoking from a glass bowl. If you have the $10, get a bowl/slide from a good shop, its worth the extra wait until you can break it in...!
  12. InLoveAndDeath InLoveAndDeath

• Since: Feb 1, 2005
    Ha a kid at myschool made a bong in art and the slide and bowl...Could you be him?

Probably not
  13. GanjaGirl420 GanjaGirl420

• Banned
    • Since: Apr 13, 2005
    Remind me to give you some rep tomorow. I think the idea of using a icing bowl is awesome. Thats what I used when I made my first bong.

Tell me, at school did they allow you to make a bong? I made a really neat looking pipe out of clay and the teacher said he wasn't allowed to fire it because it would be considered encouragement of using drugs or some bull**** like that. =/
  14. Dank Nugz Dank Nugz

I didn't tell my art teacher it was a bong, I told her it was a flower pot. I think she knew I was going to use it as a bong, considering I put a hole in it for the slide, and just doesn't care. She was probably once a pothead herself.:cool:
  15. Jake Jake

• Since: Jul 31, 2005
    Wouldn't the teacher notice the shape of a bong when he's teaching the class?

I once had a clay pipe, it was fine to smoke out of. I never glazed it though.
  16. Oase.one Oase.one

• Since: Feb 11, 2011
    I made two clay bowls from clay i took from art class. then when we were using potters wheels, i put them inside of a pot i started and just closed up the top so it was too small to see inside. it was kinda like a jug. then i got it fired and when i took it home i just broke the jug and got my two fired clay pipes out. XDD
  17. Skanking4ever Skanking4ever

• Since: Sep 13, 2009
    yo if the inside of the bong where the water is isnt glazed then the fired clay will suck up the water and eventually start to grow mold. you will need glaze anywhere water will touch.
  18. tgunderson12 tgunderson12

• Since: Oct 19, 2011
    I'm an artist.

Ive made a few clay bongs. In order for them to be chemically safe to smoke out of you must glaze them INSIDE and OUT because they clay has a lot of chemicals that react to heat and may cause harmful side effects. The glaze hardens into a glass light substance sealing the clay and chemicals.
  19. WildGerg WildGerg

• Since: Sep 2, 2011
    Glaze

Since you made this at school the glazes that you would have access to would all be safe to make a piece with. Glazes come in "dinnerware safe" and "leaded" as the names suggest dinnerware safe glazes can be used to cook and eat food and drink and leaded glazes contain lead and will leach lead into anything prepared on them. Obviously a school wouldn't have lead glazes in the pottery class as that would be a prime target for a massive lawsuit. If your really worried about it ask your pottery teacher if the glazes are safe for cookware and I'll bet you he'll say yes. If you have access to the glazes original containers they will have a label on them stating that contain lead if they are a leaded glaze.

I have a small pottery kiln at my home so I've defiantly looked into this a great deal and made a few pieces to smoke from. The only problem is that most lead glazes are WAY cooler looking than regular glaze.