contributing to delinquency of a minor

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by suflyaboverf, Feb 5, 2006.

1. suflyaboverf suflyaboverf

• Since: Feb 5, 2006
    I'm 18 and I have a cannabis card. My friends and I were at a park smoking. I let them smoke some of mine. The cops rolled up and I said the marijauna was mine. WE had less than an eigth. My two friends were 18 but my third friend was 16. I was the only one that got in trouble. Contributing to delinquency of a minor. Now I have to go to court. Im going to plead guilty. Has anybody experienced this before? outcomes? thoughts? anything please. This is in california, contra costa county.
  2. BartSimpson BartSimpson

• Since: Dec 31, 2004
    Hardspot, meet rock.

My favorite - the teenage trifeceta: some teen males, in a car, in a Public Place. Fish. Barrel. Police.

You are in a real pickle, my friend. While your card allowed you the liberty of possession, it did not prevent your circumstances from being the provider in a group of others. A good attorney is in order to try to plea the contributing charge to something else. About $2k in the Bay Area ought to do it for an intellegent NORML-friendly attorney. But otherwise you are not going to defend your position and you will enjoy being made an example of inapproriate use of Medical MJ. Unfortunately because of the law in California, it is going to be very difficult to defend your position. You were better off without the MJ Card.
  3. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    Not to interject, but I didn't see any mention of a car being involved.....however, that doesn't change anything Bart has said
  4. suflyaboverf suflyaboverf

Well it is a misdemeanor. How bad can I get in trouble? It's my first charge.
  5. oneluv4boognish oneluv4boognish

• Since: Nov 13, 2005
    Probably a fine...just curious how you're 18 and got a cannabis card?
  6. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    • Since: Jan 13, 2005
    They may take your card away
  7. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

Why wouldn't a legal adult be able to get a cannabis card if they qualified for one?
  8. Dennis Dennis

• Since: Jan 22, 2004
    Flunk the Course, Learn the Lesson

Don't give your marijuana to minors, especially in public.
  9. suflyaboverf suflyaboverf

yeah, I know. It was a real stupid mistake. Im hoping I just get off with a fine that is close to a thousand or under. I just remembered though that I did tell the police officer that the minor had brought some of his own and we already smoked it. Would that help lessen my charge or does that not matter? I think the cop may have wrote that down. Will the judge look at that? Can I go find out what he did write down? I know i'm still guilty but it may lessen my charge.
  10. BartSimpson BartSimpson

This is not a do-it-yourself situation - what about hiring an attorney?
  11. suflyaboverf suflyaboverf

I dont have two thousand dollars. I'm still in high school.
  12. squeezegged squeezegged

• Since: Feb 4, 2005
    just like your alcohol........

I would not, nor never did!
  13. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    Maybe that could be part of the punishment.
  14. BartSimpson BartSimpson

From the Medical Marijauna Law:

You engaged in conduct that condoned the diversion of marijauna for nonmedical purposes. You have no defense in the minor having his own (and I doubt he would testify in court on your behalf, right?) Deposit $500 with a good Lawyer, work out a payment plan and get this matter handled professionally. The penalty for the contributing charge is not the issue - the long lasting effects are. Sell your car, your CD collection, sell your mother if you have to, but get an attorney. YOU cannot fix this - only make it worse.
  15. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

I was referring to onelove's question about how an 18 yr old would get a cannabis card.
  16. law420 law420

• Since: Jan 18, 2006
    It will cost more than 500 for a good attorney. If you get a court appointed attorney or one working really cheap, they aren't going to put much/ time effort into your case. Tell your parents about what happened and they should help you out to get a decent attorney to resolve the situation. You screwed up--dont make a bad situation worse, because in the long run this will cost you more money than the fine or attorney fees.
  17. Cassius Cassius

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Sep 3, 2006
    He didn't say it costs $500 for a lawyer, he said deposit $500 with a lawyer and work out a payment plan. Lots of lawyers will do that as long as you have some money up front (for a deposit). Also, there are lots of pre-paid legal services these days, it won't be long before having a lawyer is as common and necessary as having a doctor.
  18. grillmeats grillmeats

• No Longer Active
    Reading is a skill.
  19. law420 law420

Your post was confusing because you didn't use the right vernacular. The deposit is called a retainer fee and the payment plan would be included in the retainer agreement. Most attorneys are going to want the money up front. To be honest, I dont know many lawyers who are going to take a $500 retainer fee. With expenses, that will be used up in less than 2 hours. Many attorneys charge more than 500 dollars an a hour. What you don't understand is how expensive it is to run a law firm and how much debt attorneys have. 500 dollars will cover the initial consultation and thats about it. I worked at a small firm when I was in law school and they required a much larger retainer agreement--even for something like this. None of the other lawyers I know take such a small retainer, but of course this is in New York. If your in Arkansas or West Virginia, you might be able to get away with this fee. In New York a new attorney can make 75 dollars an hour just taking on indigant criminals, so I dont see why any lawyer would take the case under those circumstances. Personally, i think the lawyer would lose money on the deal. If I had my own firm, Id take the case pro bono before I'd agree to a payment plan who was only going to give me 500 up front. You might be able to get a solo practioner to do it for a 2 grand retainer, if he was hungry enough. The thing is, as long as you have a credit card, you should be fine. If you want a good attorney with experience, your going to need a 5K retainer and you can just charge it to your card and pay it off later.
  20. law420 law420

What the hell is a prepaid legal service? Are you talking about a flat fee arangement? The fee arangement you chose has nothing at all to do with the total amount. You can have a flat fee arangement for a million dollars if you wanted. I dont care what lawyer youre dealing with--even the cheapest ones are going to charge you 150 an hour. One laywer in Texas is now charging a thousand dollars an hour. If the lawyer is going to court, he might charge you a set rate--lets say a grand, because he could be sitting there all day. A lawyers job is not like fixing a car--its hard to redict how long it will take to do something and estimate what contingencies come up. Although this is a rather simple case, it might be easier to predict a fee. Simple things like mortgages, wills, bankrupcies, and uncontested divorces are easier to predict because they involve largely transactual lawyering. When you have to litigate a matter, anything can happen. But remember, in the law just like anything else, you get what you pay for. If the lawyer is charging you a real low fee, its because hes not putting any time into your case. Any lawyer who gives quick legal advice akin to a routine checkup with the doctor is on the fast road to disbarment. If you can find a lawyer who wants to risk his license and give you crapy legal advice be my guest. There are plenty of law mills out there, but I wouldnt recomend one to anybody--especially to a kid whose whole life could get screwed up because of this.