Cracking pot seeds while before planting them???

Discussion in 'Growing Topics' started by codyf, Oct 26, 2010.

1. codyf codyf

• Since: May 16, 2010
    I have like 40 pot seeds and I've done EVERYTHING to germinate them, a few grew roots but they died after I planted them. What I just did is I took about 15-20 seeds and cracked the shell in half and removed half of the shell, exposing the embryo. Immediately after I planted them, in the right direction, and they're now under florescent lighting until they sprout (then I'll put them under a grow light). My question: Did I just fuck up 15-20 good pot seeds? lol, thanks!
  2. kmak kmak

• Since: Feb 22, 2010
    I don't know to much about growing but why would you crack them?
  3. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Yes, you just ruined a bunch of perfectly good seeds. Seeds are designed by mother nature to germinate when the conditions are right. If seeds needed to be cracked open to germinate, the cannabis plant would never have existed in nature.

Germinating seeds is very easy. You can put them into wet paper towels in a dark, warm place for a few day and plant them when roots appear. The easiest way is to put each seed in a flower pot, keep the soil moist, and let nature do her thing.
    1 people like this.
  4. cmate cmate

• Since: Oct 14, 2010
    I read about something this in the grow bible and somewhere else - they explained that some seeds have a tough shell that make them difficult to germinate - even if you soak them in water.

They said you have to put the seeds in a small box like a match box with a piece of sandpaper inside. Then you shake the box - probably not too hard. It scuffs the seeds, removing some of the outer shell, but not actually breaking all the way through. The idea is that it is enough to allow the moisture to now sink through the rest of the shell.
    1 people like this.
  5. Bud Is good Bud Is good

• Resident non smoker
    • Since: Jul 15, 2009
    Don't crack the shells..But you can shave off a little bit of the seam with a finger nail sander..That seams to hellp the really hard shells pop more easily..Hope this helps you, I know it helped me..
  6. stoneygreenbud stoneygreenbud

• Super Moderator
    • Since: Oct 31, 2005
    The shell is there for a reason, let nature take its course.
    I have been growing for many a years, and my best advice is like buzzby said, get a plate and a papertowel put the seeds into the folded papertowel and keep it wet and warm.

when I need to germ a few seeds I will set the plate on top of my cable box (it emits heat) and I put the seeds between a folded papertowel and keep it nice and wet, most of the time the seeds will sprout its tap root with-in 24/48 hours. although not un-common some seeds may continue to sprout up to 3/5 days. anything beyond that, the remaining seeds are probibly non-viable (wont sprout)

~Stoney~
  7. Dizeazed121 Dizeazed121

• Since: Jul 23, 2008
    I agree 100% with Buzzby and stoneygreenbud. Germinate in a wet towel.
  8. smoking Joe2 smoking Joe2

• Since: Feb 7, 2009

I agree, also when you plant them the tap root should point UP and will turn around as it grows.