Did I fuck up my weed butter?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by Casual Day, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Casual Day Casual Day

• Since: Sep 16, 2008
    QUICK RESPONSES WOULD HELP A LOT

I just posted this thread but I don't know where it went so I'm posting it again.

I think I fucked up my weed butter. Where I really think I went wrong is not starting with water. I started with butter in a saucepan, let it melt, put weed in, and cooked it on heat setting 2 on my stovetop. I read something on the internet that convinced me to put water in it AFTER I already started making it with weed and butter, so does that completely fuck up my recipe.

At first, I had two cups of weed-butter mix, now I have 4 cups of weed-butter-water mix and it's completely liquidy and I don't know how it's going to harden in the fridge.
    Instead of having a weed butter-looking thing, I have disgusting yellow green water with grass in it.

1. Is the weed butter still good? Am I over-reacting.
    2. If not, can I still save it?
    3. What recipe should I use? (Post your own or a website)

UPDATE: I figured water will just not harden, so I thought about and I think if I turn the heat up to 6 and start to boil the water and let it evaporate, the water level will go down (admittedly, I probably will lose some THC). After the water goes down to an inch or so, I'll put it in the fridge and the cannabutter should separate itself from the water and I'll have a disc of cannabutter that I can pull out. Will this work or is this the most retarded thing you've ever heard?
  2. Ganjika Ganjika

• ☼ Account Closed ☼
    • Since: Sep 21, 2006
  3. o_t00high_o o_t00high_o

• Since: Aug 21, 2008
    There are recipes that call for adding water to it after you are already heating it, but the only ones I've seen that say to do that are for when you are cooking it for hours, like 4 or more. And you should strain it too, don't know why you'd have bits of grass in it. I have never made it myself, I'm only going on what Ive read and heard.
  4. steakii steakii

• Since: Nov 4, 2006
    Well the butter will still be potent, but it imagine it will be hard to cook with. You are not supposed to add water to the butter mixture, whoever told you that was mistaken, or giving help for a specific recipe.

Did you ruin the potency of the butter? No
    Is the butter going to be near impossible to do anything with? Possibly.

my advice, put it in the fridge and the butter should harden and leave the water on the top. The water might be potent, so you might as well drink it, but im sure it will taste horrible.

For future reference, do not add water to the butter, and strain the weed out of the butter using a METAL strainer (no plastic, i learned that one the hard way) once it is finished.
  5. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    If you put your water/butter mixture into the refrigerator, the butter should float to the top and harden, leaving the liquid water underneath. It is difficult to get fat and water to mix so that won't happen. You'd have to go through the same process they use to homogenize milk.

The only reason water is used at all is to keep the butter from burning. As long as there's water in the pot, the temperature can't get above 212ºF. I've always boiled the water, turned it down to a simmer, and put the stick(s) of butter on top to melt. Then I sprinkle in the ground up weed and let it simmer for a while. The weed won't mix with the water because it's coated in fat. As long as there's water in the pot, you don't have to worry about losing THC, since its vaporization temperature is considerably higher than water's.

After the simmering, I put the pot into the refrigerator for a couple of hours. By that time, I have a disk of butter sitting on top of some water. I run a knife around the perimeter of the disk and lift it out. I dump out the water, put the disk back into the pot, and set it into a larger pan with boiling water to re-melt the butter. When the butter is as hot as it can get, pour it through a coffee filter to remove the weed particles, and put your cannabutter back into the fridge to cool down.
    2 people like this.
  6. Casual Day Casual Day

• Since: Sep 16, 2008
    That's Good

Thanks for the replies.

Before I heard back from this thread, I put the water in the fridge, it hardened on top and made decent weed butter. I had a normal high except everything looked very rich and zoomed in like a fishbowl effect, but it wasn't bad. There were bits of weed stuck to the bottom of the butter, so that was kind of gross. Next time, I'll probably use a double boiler or two pans instead so I don't have weed stuck to it and have to use a gross cheesecloth.
    2 people like this.