Did my weed-butter work?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by MonarchX, Dec 24, 2007.

1. MonarchX MonarchX

• Since: Oct 2, 2005
    I took 1 stick of butter, melted it, took 6g of weed and put them in mortar and grind it. Then I placed grinded stuff in butter and let it cook for 30 minute low fire.

It was green half way through, and I added some water in the end.

Now the butter is green, but on the bottom of the container is all the grinded stuff!

Is this thing going to work? Its for my mom to try because she won't be able to smoke it.
  2. MonarchX MonarchX

That stuff made my mom almost vomit and it produced 0 effects. Nobody got high...

WTF did I do wrong? I followed everything right, for the exception of dosage. I would think 6g in one butter stick is more than enough!
  3. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Did you melt the butter in a pan over boiling water or just cook it on the stove? The latter process can get much too hot and boil off all of the THC.

Whether or not 6 g is enough depends on how potent it is. Figure that you need three times as much per dose eating marijuana to get the same level of effect as smoking the same weed. How strong was the weed? How many doses were made from the 6 grams?

The process of making cannabutter extracts the cannabinoids from the weed, leaving the plant matter fairly inert. The standard process has you float butter on boiling water, add the weed, and let it simmer for a while. Then you refrigerate it. The butter hardens. You remove it. If you want to get the plant matter out of it, re-melt the stuff and pour it through a coffee filter.
  4. MonarchX MonarchX

I put it on the stove, but the heat was on LOW and it was luke-warm (I could hold my finger on top). I melted butter on medium setting, then added all of 6g of weed, and turned heat to low (like I said its barely warm) and let it cook for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes the butter was brown, and I let it sit for another 15 minutes afterwards

I did turn on the air-sucker so maybe thats it...

After my mom ate the butter, I tried it too and it was just YUUUCK grass taste. I tried eating the cooked green weed and it also gave me nothing, lol.
  5. RookieSmoker RookieSmoker

• Since: Oct 14, 2007
    I've never made cannabutter before, but I'm pretty sure you need to strain out the ground up weed before letting it cool in the fridge. The THC is supposed get absorbed by the fat in the butter (i think) so the plant itself won't be getting you high after you cook with it. Theres one video on youtube that I saw a while back, could be wrong but it said to use an oz of weed to 1 pound of butter (you can make more or less just keep the ratio) and to that 2 cups of water. Get the water to start boiling, throw in the butter to melt. Once melted throw in the finely ground weed and stir, let it cook on med-low for like 30 minutes, after that you strain all of this through a cheese cloth so you get the weed out, then put the liquid in a dish and let it sit in the fridge, the butter will harden while the water will just cool and when its a solid you can just fish out the butter and get rid of the water. I wanna try this recipe during my break but I need to get my hands on about a half oz for me to try this...or a quarter incase i mess up.
  6. Muggze Muggze

• Since: Oct 12, 2007
    Here are a couple things I do that you could try,

I haven't done it yet but I will be getting a food or probably liquid temperature and check the water which I believe should be somewhere in the high 300's degree?? Someone should give you the correct temperature that weed is adsorbed into fat.

Use a double boiler or find two pans that one can fit into the other and still have a snug fit.

Let the butter and water cool and then strain with cheesecloth or medical gauze and make sure really get the butter out of the herb because a lot of butter keeps in the material.

Put water butter in freezer or refrigerate over night and then scrap out butter and cook, eat a cookie and wait for the medication to do its thing.

Good luck

Peace:p
  7. MVP MVP

• Since: Dec 9, 2007
    Just be careful to not get the Cannabudder or Cannaoil over 275 degrees F as it cooks/simmers, as the THC vaporizes at approx 285 F and you will lose much of your potency. I use a crock pot to make budder and oil as it keeps the temp controlled much better than other methods I have tried.
  8. Muggze Muggze

• Since: Oct 12, 2007

Yea I kinda missed that by 100, sorry for my incorrect judgment :(

Now how long can you leave the butter cooking and be sure all thc is mostly absorbed?