Donating Blood

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by TaylorSays, May 21, 2009.

1. TaylorSays TaylorSays

• Since: Mar 15, 2009
    So, I have recently turned 16 and by the law of my state, I am now of legal age to donate blood. :]

So, my school is having this blood drive in a few weeks, and I would very much like to donate, however, as is obvious by my presence on this site, I am a marijuana user. I smoke usually 2-3 times a week.

So, my questions are,
    - Am I still eligible to donate blood?
    - Will they test the blood for THC content?
    - Can I be high while I go to donate?
    - If there is legal barriers blocking me from donating blood, how much ahead of time do I need to stop smoking so that I CAN donate?

Thaaaank you, marijuana.com. <3
  2. Mr Charles Fiji Mr Charles Fiji

• Since: May 17, 2009
    Yes, you'll be eligible to donate blood (and plasma, for that matter) if you smoke/have THC in you.

I wouldn't donate while high, but I'm sure you're aware of this. Needles suck sober, let alone high as shit!
  3. TaylorSays TaylorSays

Okay, thank you for the information. :]

But, wouldn't being high make the needle hurt less? I don't feel shit when I'm stoned, you could probably chop off my arm and I'd laugh.
  4. Mr Charles Fiji Mr Charles Fiji

• Since: May 17, 2009
    I dunno about that, maybe for you :p.

I personally would be paranoid as shit the whole time until the needle was in me. I'm terrified of needles :eek:.
  5. Maximus Maximus

• Since: Mar 22, 2009
    They check for aids, trackmarks on your arms but not THC.
  6. BartSimpson BartSimpson

• Since: Dec 31, 2004
    Please consider this.

We are talking about a medical issue = the blood you give will be saving someone's life.

While trace amounts of THC will not likely create an issue, if you have to ask this question then you should see that you have a personal moral problem not a legal one. I mean that deep down you want to do something good, but also are concerned about the results, because you do something "bad". Maybe it's not that bad.

Screening is far more in depth than you might think - because it is medicine - but the finding of a risk factor does not result in a criminal charge, just a waste of everyone's time.

You are old enough to pick up the telephone and call the blood-bank yourself. I promise you they won't ask your name or call the DEA. It is an outstanding question and the answer might need to be shared with some of your peers who might not be so bold as to ask the question.

And you better not be smoking skunk weed - when I need my blood transfusion, I'm going to want the best MJ out there.

Some tongue in cheek - but we are talking about saving people's lives. Good on you.
  7. femalesmoker femalesmoker

• Since: May 5, 2009
    i asked the same question, the only difference is i was donating plasma for 40 bucks ha. i called and the place i donate just said if your asking if you can donate because you smoke (weed) then all i say is don't donate plasma when your high or if you smoke the day before. i went sober got high after wards and the night before now thati think about it. no it doesnt matter i guess they only check your blood for disease if you shoot up thats a diffrent story.
  8. TaylorSays TaylorSays

Okay, so I'm thinking I just won't smoke for the sunday-thursday before I donate...
  9. Ska Ska

• Since: Apr 14, 2009
    They don't test it for any drugs and yes you can donate
  10. TaylorSays TaylorSays

Just as a late update, I donated blood WHILE stoned and everything went without a flaw.

No passing out, no problems. I barely felt the needle prick, however it was a bit of a sobering experience. Probably because of them taking THC out of my blood along with the blood. xD I will definitely do it again, it was entirely easy, bearable, etc.
  11. XxImJaneXX XxImJaneXX

• Since: Oct 31, 2012
    Okay , I have a dime calling my name but a week from today I'll be giving blood .-. So uhm will smoking now "ruin" the blood or will I get in trouble . Can they still use what I donate or? I just don't want to give blood if it's not useable ..