Don't eat baking soda.

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by Bhikku, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Bhikku Bhikku

• News Administrator
    • Since: Jun 14, 2006
    It rained the other day, so instead of cooking our expensive ribeyes on the grill, my dad decided to make stroganoff with them.

Unfortunately he was a little drunk and accidentally put baking soda in our stroganoff instead of cornstarch (trying to thicken it up)...He had labored on this stuff for over an hour chopping garlic and onions, mincing herbs, the whole bit. It's a family recipe and he's proud of it.

Well, there was already vinegar and wine in the sauce, so it bubbled over like a kid's science fair volcano. Then it turned green and started to smell like raw shrimp. No joke.

It was completely inedible. I can't even describe the taste. I took one bite of it and had to spit it back out. My dad couldn't eat it either. My parents are gourmands, so it's the first thing I've ever spit back out in my parent's house since I was an infant.

Baking soda + anything that's not baked = bad idea.

Don't do that.

P.S. Oh yeah, and my mom was doing her low carb thing, so she had just taken her ribeye aside and butterflied it with a little butter in the skillet. So she got perfectly cooked ribeye steak; me and my dad got salad and a roll.

The end.
    2 people like this.
  2. lilgrasshoppah lilgrasshoppah

• Since: Feb 17, 2004
    i have a somewhat similar tale...

only it involves a big pot of chili and cinnamon instead of chili powder.... :)
  3. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I sometimes add a little baking soda to a batch of chili to neutralize some of the acid coming from the tomato paste and tomato sauce.

BTW, I think you meant "gourmet", not "gourmand". The latter is kind of insulting, indicating people who eat great quantities of food without any regard for its quality.
  4. Trocisp Trocisp

• Since:
    gourmand
    1. a person who is fond of good eating, often indiscriminatingly and to excess.
    2. a gourmet; epicure.
    1 people like this.