Eating weed gets you high?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by jewishjake420, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jewishjake420 jewishjake420

• Since: Sep 27, 2004
    If a person eats an ounce of marijuana, will it get he/she high without baking the plant?
  2. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Yes it will, but not as efficiently as if the marijuana is cooked with fat or oils. Unless it's the worst schwag, an ounce would be way too much. Generally, an oral dose is 3-5 times the amount it would take to get you high smoking the same weed. If you ate an ounce you'd probably sleep for 24 hours and wake up high for another day. Chances are, if you ate an ounce of raw weed you'd throw up.

This question is off-topic for the Methods forum - it really belongs in the Culinary forum.
  3. boom ting boom ting

• Since: Apr 17, 2006
    hmmmmmm

what if u take like a half once and put it in a blender and make a milkshake will it get u high
  4. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Yes, but that's still a hell of a lot of weed for one person. If one gram of the weed is enough to get you high smoking it then you'd want no more than 5 grams as an oral dose. A half ounce is 14+ grams.
  5. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
    You wouldn't want to eat an ounce or even a half-ounce of marijuana. A little less than an eighth should do you just fine. Moving to the Culinary forum.
  6. GreenDragon420 GreenDragon420

• Since: Apr 19, 2006
    Fresh weed usually has more THCA than THC. THCA will not get you high. The THCA has to be decarboxylated to THC for it to be effective. This can happen with dry heat or low-humidity and aging. Rumor has it, the microwave works for this.

After the decarboxylation, the THC has to be bound to oil or alcohol for complete digestion. Otherwise it might just pass through your system. Again, heat helps. Or lots of time. Milkshake: probably not. The milkshake would go bad by the time the THC is dissolved. Too cold. It would have to be heated and re-frozen.
  7. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    • Since: Feb 14, 2006
    Since THC is fat soluble, wouldn't it be absorbed by the milkfat?

<curious>
  8. Mar-iguana Mar-iguana

• Since: May 17, 2006
    It would still need to be heated for it to be released, and then it would be able to bind to the fat, creating a milk shake with or without ice cream and heating that might work, then you could put a cover on it put it in the fridge and add some icecream, and blend it up again to make it milkshaky.....that sounds acutally delicious to me
  9. pontypool pontypool

• Since: Jun 9, 2006

I thought eating was more effective than smoking, because you don't waste any of the bud through wasted smoke.
  10. TheUnseenTruth TheUnseenTruth

• Since: Feb 5, 2006
    I wouldnt say more effective, i'd say that its more of a calm high. Personally I like to have a nice glass pipe of the good ol' jane in the morning as opposed to eating a mama budz brownie (mmmm are they ever good though).

As buzzby said to me in a different thread, its more of a slow ; kick your ass over time type of high. I like the BOOm you're stoned high ,so its all in preference. If you feel gutsy, and want to try cooking canna-whatever the cookbook will help you along, i suggest you read HigherLogic's 1001 recipies.

Also, try not smoking for a few adys before you eat weed to maximize the fun.

Enjoy
    -A
  11. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    The rule-of-thumb is to eat at least three times what you'd smoke. It takes about an hour to come on and then lasts three times as long.

I'd say it's a wash.
  12. firsttimegrower firsttimegrower

• Since: Jun 12, 2006
    I'm sorry i'm posting in this forum but how do i post in the cultivation forum?
  13. nerphroll nerphroll

• Since: Jul 31, 2005
  14. smoking_guru smoking_guru

• Since: May 26, 2005
    How would it just bypass your digestive system?
  15. lilguyboi03 lilguyboi03

• Since: Feb 19, 2006
    because the THC is not bind to any kind of fat, therefore, not entering your bloodstream. correct me if im wrong.
  16. Zubi420 Zubi420

• Since:
    Eating thc is not more effective but it keeps peaked longer. And the whole high last like 4 - 8 hours. Smoking is more sudden and quick and intense and passes quickly but when nsmoking grass the high still lasts 2-3hours which is a pretty long time. Most hallucinogens last many hours including marijuana when injested. Lsd when eaten lasts 6-12 hours. Similar to mj. But if lsd were to be smoked if its even possible? it would last probably 3-4 hours and would be far more intense trip. Also the trip would start to begin a few minutes after smoking it instead of 30-120 minutes when eating. Same thing with grass. Eating takes longer to start and lasts longer while it there. Digesstive system is slower than the respiratory system.

this is the order of intensity and length.

<Intense and quick --------------------------- Long and lasting>

Injecting-------------Snorting------------------smoking-------------eating
  17. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Eating raw marijuana is much less effective than eating marijuana that has been cooked or heated, but it's still effective. According to some things I've read, the heating converts some precursors to THC. Heating in fats or oils improves absorption.
  18. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Marijuana is a very mild hallucinogen and works by a different biochemical path than any of the others. LSD breaks down chemically at temperatures far too low to be smoked.

I think the word you're looking for is "ingesting". Wouldn't "injesting" be telling yourself a joke? :)

Actually, smoking is the fastest route. Oxygenated blood goes directly from the lungs to the brain.
  19. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
    You can't smoke LSD, it's too hot. And I would say eating marijuana is far more effective and efficient than smoking marijuana.
  20. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Apples and Oranges

Comparing the "effectiveness" of smoking, vaporizing, and eating marijuana is comparing apples and oranges. The effects of marijuana consumed by different routes are very different. Vaping produces a very cerebral high. Eating produces a powerful body stone. Smoking is somewhere in-between and depends highly on the variety of marijuana being consumed.