Experienced smoker, feeling sick after smoking

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by kaelalto, Nov 24, 2011.

1. kaelalto kaelalto

• Since: Nov 24, 2011
    Hello everyone! I'm new here and hoping to find some answers or help with a problem. I'll try to keep it short:

Me = female, 20, big girl. I've been a daily smoker for the past 2.5 years, mainly using a vaporizer in the last year. Since about May I've been experiencing weird nausea-like symptoms and other adverse reactions to smoking weed, and I've no idea why.

My reaction can best be described as nauseousness/stomach tightness that comes in waves and makes it difficult to swallow, and then panic attack like symptoms of racing heart and sweaty palms, minus the freaking out. I have to emphasize the waves thing, though, because I'll feel fine, then sick for a few minutes, then it passes, and comes back worse. It will eventually peak start to subside, seeming to follow the rise/fall of my high. Sometimes I get a little burning in my stomach after the nausea passes. I also feel less sick and for a shorter amount of time if I vape only a few hits as opposed to the full bag.

This summer I thought it was a stomach problem and got a prescription for Prilosec, which seemed to help until it stopped working after the first 30 days. I've had it suggested that I might be hypoglycemic, but that doesn't quite fit for lot of reasons. In any case, the inconsistency and inability to medicate has me worried.

I'd been getting stoned every day of my life with no problem until last May. It started to happen on an infrequent basis, which I wrote off as smoking too much good bud and smoked with caution in the future. Since then it has happened semi-frequently and lately almost every time. Its happened smoking different strains and strengths... regs, kush, dro. Tired and well rested, stressed and chilled out, hungry and full stomach blah blah... It will happen or not happen seemingly without reason, and I'm scared to smoke a bowl with my friends or hit the vape before taking a nap. Sometimes I toke and nothing happens, but if I want to have a good time I can't take the risk. It's ruining my ability to get high and do anything. Marijuana is something I really enjoy, and I can't tell you how much it sucks being afraid of my favorite thing.

My question/pleas are these: has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have some ideas on what could be causing this reaction? Am I crazy? I'm open to any suggestions at this point.
  2. Hashbrick Hashbrick

• Since: Oct 5, 2011
    i dont know if the vaporizer changes anything but if i get smoke in my stomach and dont deal with it or w/e i sometimes get nauseated but i dont get pains... i hope someone else can help more because i know what its like to be afraid of smoking because i used to get really paranoid and it sucks
  3. kaelalto kaelalto

This isn't so much a bump as a follow up for anyone who has the same problem.

I've had to quit smoking, I don't know what's wrong. I even saw a gastroenterologist who just said that marijuana is the #1 cause of nausea in 20-year-olds, which sounds like bullshit, but whatever. I haven't smoked more than two hits (total) in the past month, I'm back on prilosec and I'm feeling better than I have in almost a year.

I'm trying to move on, but I miss smoking a lot. I bought a big bag just before I quit and I just had a roommate ask to buy some of it off me (because obviously I won't be using it). I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm looking for answers, if anyone has any ideas I'm open to them. Please remember that I'm not an amateur and that I know the difference between being too high and being sick, at this point it doesn't take more than one hit to aggravate my stomach.
  4. Alan1978 Alan1978

• Since: Mar 30, 2012
    Ive been having the same symptoms for the last couple of months, everytime I smoke a joint my stomach tightens up and feels uncomfortable and my heart sometimes feels a bit racey. Any updates on your situation or are you still not smoking ?

I was thinkin that it was some kind of build up of cannabis in my system as my consumption has increased over the past year but cutting down hasn't seemed to make a difference. Just stopped smoking tobacco and REALLY DON'T want to stop smoking my Ganja :(
  5. Cap'nBakes Cap'nBakes

• Since: May 3, 2011
    i thought weed hepled nausea? this is odd. i get wicked dry mouth and its even hard to breathe, ubt usually eating or drinking something helps a lot.
  6. kaelalto kaelalto

I should mention that the inevitable reaction of "Weed is supposed to make you feel better!" get's old after the first three stoners react that way. Proclamations of surprise and disbelief do not a helpful suggestion make.

Alan1978, no improvement here. I haven't smoked anything in about a month, mostly because I don't have the time to ride out the illness if it happens. I understand completely how you feel, and I can tell you that weed was/is my favorite thing, and I smoked every day multiple times a day. But when it came down to it I couldn't do it anymore, and I've filled my time doing other things. Your health is more important, and I really feel like consistently good for the first time in a long time. It sucks, but it will be okay. I doubt any doctor you go to is going to react helpfully to the question "Weed is making me sick. Can you figure out why so I can smoke weed unfettered?:... biases of the medical profession and whatnot.