Fact or fiction: using a bong will get you higher (News flash: it might be false!)

Discussion in 'Water Pipes' started by Createrson, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Createrson Createrson

• Since: Sep 22, 2007
    I always thought that using a water pipe would maximize and intensify your high more so than if you smoked your weed through a pipe or smoked it in cigarette form. Didn't you? Even better, a lot of people seem to think that using a water pipe is a great way to get higher using far less weed (thereby extending the quantity of your stock on hand) than if you smoked it using something else. How can you not love that?

Well check this out: I came across something that now has me thinking I was wrong about all this. According to NORML, water pipes may be detrimental to optimizing your high!

I haven't owned a water pipe in years. I was going to head out later today to buy one from my local California smoke shop. Water pipes are expensive and probrably even a little overpriced. Now I'm having second thoughts after reading NORML's finding. Perhaps a water pipe is a BIG WASTE of money?

I'm interested in what YOU think. What are water pipes good for if in fact they minimize your high as opposed to maximizing it? And...do you agree with NORML's finding?

A quote from NORML:

".... a 2000 NORML-MAPS study found that water pipes filter out more psychoactive THC than they do other tars, thereby requiring users to smoke more to reach their desired effect".

source: Bong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    1 people like this.
  2. FATHERPARIS FATHERPARIS

• Since: Apr 15, 2008
    Well, I wouldn't say bongs minimize your high, but it definitely doesn't maximize it considering there are other ways to get higher off of the same amount of bud in 1 - 2 bong bowls. I have used a good share of bongs but never bought one considering most shops around me don't sell them and I usually don't have enough money to buy a bong and weed at the same time. I think some people think bongs get you higher because the rips are bigger and you can smoke a whole bowl in 1 hit if you are an experienced bong ripper. I personally would rather get blasted off of half a blunt then smoke a bong to my face, but others just like the whole water pipe idea and the bubbling part of it. I like hitting a bong once in a while because it is different for me and it is always fun, but if I had a bong I wouldn't use it every session every day.
  3. Doc Mitch Doc Mitch

• Since: Apr 5, 2008
    This has been posted before. Anyone that has enough experience smoking weed will know that bongs are not going to minimize your high. THC isn't even water soluble. I don't know anybody that smokes out of bongs because it filters tar. I'd say most people smoke out of bongs because they cool the smoke, making it much easier to take bigger hits.
    4 people like this.
  4. Audio Audio

• Ω∫§¥∂∞≈
    • Since: Apr 5, 2007
    Well before I got my vape which is superior to all smoking devices, I would use my bong with a one-hitter sized bowl, I would do 2 nice hits(2 bowls) and be good. With my bowl I would need to pack twice that to get the same high, and the amount of bud I use when smoking alone is not enough to roll a decent joint. I think the fact that my bong is most efficient(besides my vape) has more to do with the one-hitter bowl than the bong itself. I'm just talking about smoking solo here though, when smoking with other people it varies depending on how many people there are.
  5. Createrson Createrson

Hmmm...when I first started smoking my peers told me that using a bong was the best way for getting high with the added advantage of having to use far less weed to achieve a stellar buzz. For the record, none of my peers manufactured bongs for profit nor did they work in a head shop. Me thinks they, and me, were wrong.
  6. Createrson Createrson

Sorry...you mean that a one-hitter bowl on a bong will get you higher than a multiple-hitter bowl? :confused:
  7. FATHERPARIS FATHERPARIS

• Since: Apr 15, 2008
    I think he is saying it conserves weed because you pack less bud in the one-hitter bowl and you can still get ripped off of 2 bowls.
  8. Audio Audio

• Ω∫§¥∂∞≈
    • Since: Apr 5, 2007
    For me, yeah. I know exactly how much to pack to get one good hit so there is no bud burning up afterwards and there's no smoke left in the chamber after my hit. If I have the choice of packing 4 hits separately or packing all 4 hits in a big bowl, I would do it separate so I'm getting the most out of each hit.
    1 people like this.
  9. marijuanavillle7 marijuanavillle7

• Since: Jan 22, 2008
    I love bongs and I get really high so I dont see what the big fuss is about. It's more personal perference then anything.
  10. mmmcute mmmcute

• Since: Feb 27, 2009
    Personally, I think a bong gets you a way bigger hit than a pipe or j would any day.

The more cooling, the less harsh, the less harsh, the bigger the hit... the bigger the hit... the better you feel. =)

And I like the bubbley noise a bong makes when you clear it. Music to my ears.
  11. nik12937 nik12937

• Since: Aug 19, 2008
    I never actually though it got you any higher, I just tend to use more than I would with a pipe, so more weed is all :)
  12. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Bongs won't get you any higher than any other method that depends on burning the weed. What bongs will do is get you high faster because you'll be able to take bigger hits and hold them long enough to absorb the goodness. Bongs also give you a big rush with each hit because of how large they are.

The combination of a bong with a vaporizer is the best way to get high, in my opinion. It conserves weed, doesn't put crap in your lungs, and allows you to take huge rush-producing hits. If you're a clean equipment freak, like I am, you'll appreciate the fact that the bong doesn't get dirty and the bong water doesn't get gross.

I'm currently using my VaporWarez machine with a homemade bong, but I want to get a Vriptech setup when the heat wand becomes available and I can afford it. That looks like the ultimate setup using current technology.
  13. marijuanavillle7 marijuanavillle7

• Since: Jan 22, 2008
    So you water filter your vaporizer hits? Thats interesting. Do you just wait for it to fill up with vapor then rip the bong?
  14. byrned byrned

• Since: Oct 1, 2008
    I agree with Buzzby. A bong will not necessarily get you higher than other methods, however it's does allow you to take larger hits easier and and is fairly decent at getting only what you want in your lungs. I would say bongs are more efficient in that they allow you to comfortably get all your weed in your lungs quickly rather than allowing some of your beautiful bud to go to waste.
  15. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    I took the mouthpiece off of the end of the whip and stuck the hose into the bong's down tube. You fill the bong with vapor, remove the hose, and rip it.

You can take bigger, denser hits (compared to the vape alone) without coughing up a lung.
  16. Cannabot Cannabot

• Since: May 24, 2009
    bongs get me the highest of anything but vaps it does filter out more thc but you do get more smoke from less weed
  17. Oldhaus Oldhaus

• Since: Nov 14, 2005
    From my experience bongs give the strongest hits for the smallest amounts of weed, not to mention it enters your system in one big rush instead of drips and drabs over a 5-10 minute period.
    More head rush, plus a bigger & better high, in my opinion.
  18. 420Downunder 420Downunder

• Since: Dec 10, 2008
    I found this the best vape hit;
    [IMG]
    As for bongs filtering out THC, it's not water soluble otherwise you'd never get bubblehash but trace amounts can be left suspended in the water but in such tiny amounts as to go unnoticed and is more than made up for by the size of the hit.
    1 people like this.
  19. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Bongs cool the smoke and produce tremendous hits that will give you a huge rush. Efficiency is not what they're all about.

If you want efficiency, use a vaporizer. Any method that employs fire is going to burn up a large percentage of the THC. Some vape designs, like the VripTech and the Herborizer, combine vape technology with a water pipe to produce the best of both worlds.
    1 people like this.
  20. hazanko hazanko

• Since: Jun 1, 2009
    the only thing that gets me to a good high is a bong...ive treid joints, spoons, spiffs, vaporizers,even a tin can. the only thing that seems to work is a bong, but thats just me