First grow, is ventilation really needed?

Discussion in 'Growing Topics' started by G-roller, May 3, 2011.

1. G-roller G-roller

• Since: Jun 19, 2010
    Hi, Im doing a pc grow. The plants are only going to stay inside for 2-3 weeks before I place them outside. Im wondering, is a fan really needed for seedlings? I have a couple air holes.
  2. stoneygreenbud stoneygreenbud

• Super Moderator
    • Since: Oct 31, 2005
    Plants need co2 (air) in which to live, I've never tried a pc grow, I'm picturing a gutted out desk top tower?, now thats not a very big space, but if you are only veggin a couple of seedlings, it should be fine since it's only temporary, for a couple of weeks.

I would recomend that you open the cab up at least once, maybe twice a day, just to get some fresh air to them, and keep a close eye, what type of light will be used?

the more intense light you use, the more fresh air flow your gonna need to have, or those seedlings will get too hot and whither/die.

~Stoney~
    1 people like this.
  3. G-roller G-roller

thanks! I will be using a 11watt fluorescent tube and a 20watt office lamp, so I'm guessing heat won't be a major problem?
    1 people like this.
  4. stoneygreenbud stoneygreenbud

• Super Moderator
    • Since: Oct 31, 2005
    Yea, you should be fine like that, I would just make sure to open the cab once or twice a day, just for good measure.

~Stoney~
    1 people like this.
  5. G-roller G-roller

alright, will do! :D
  6. Buds_Of_Steele Buds_Of_Steele

• Your Undisputed Disputer
    • Since: Jul 11, 2009
    20 watt office lamp? is it fluorescent? If it's incandescent then scrap it now. Incandescent bulbs waste energy by producing more heat than they do light, and the light they give off isn't very useful to your plant anyways. 30 watts is fine for just a few seedlings, but my personal minimum is 75.

Ventilation, as well as having a fan blow across your plants is almost as essential as water if you want the best for your plants. plants, like humans, can suffocate themselves by using up all the CO2 in the air (oxygen for humans) and then being left to try and breath air devoid of the gas they need. Of course thats only if your grow cab were airtight, but poor airflow is almost as bad.

Plants can use up to, I believe it's 4-6x the amount of CO2 thats available in the air around us, before they begin to have complication due to toxic levels of CO2 (much like how breathing pure oxygen can kill a human) therefore it would be beneficial to get as much CO2 to your plant as possible while staying within those parameters. After adding a CO2 generator to my growcab I noticed a significant increase in the amount my plants would grow daily.

Another thing is that when air passes by a plant, on a very small level it leaves tiny little cuts in the stems and leaves of the plant, these are too small to be seen with the human eye, and are also too small to cause any major stress to the plant. in fact, these cuts are actually beneficial and help to strengthen the plant. A stronger plant can hold up more buds, therefore giving you a greater potential yield.

My first plant, I didn't think I would need a fan. When my plant got to around a foot and a half tall, i had to tie her to the pot (like cables on a really tall building) to keep her from falling over from the weight of her buds. I had to adjust these ties daily and add more almost as frequently. This gets to be a pain, and i think it's worth it to avoid all this bullshit by simply aiming a little fan at your plants.

Good luck man, and happy growing
  7. MrIMStoned MrIMStoned

• |BIG BROTHER|
    • Since: Mar 17, 2002
    Without some kind of breeze the plants will get wimpy/limp and won't be able to handle the move to outdoors.

As for as having enough air to breath, the plants will be fine in a box with a few holes. I think you may have better results if you just plant the seeds, or whatever you have, outside right now. If they're going outside eventually might as well start them out there and they will grow to be mighty plants.
  8. johnny-0 johnny-0

• Since: Oct 5, 2005
    IMHO-You want a light breeze blowing across your seedlings from day 1.
  9. Bud Is good Bud Is good

• Resident non smoker
    • Since: Jul 15, 2009
    Do you still have the fan that came in the tower..You could always mount it reversed on the back and blow in fresh air..
  10. G-roller G-roller

Alright thanks, I am using a fluorescent lamp
  11. G-roller G-roller

Sadly, I threw it away :soapbox:
  12. G-roller G-roller

thanks for all the help so far people! To build stem strength I will put them outside a few hours a couple days a week, or try and find a mini fan. A small update and question:

Most of them have grown, and are almost touching the light I originally placed 2inches from the pots. Now, my concern is this. They are not equally tall.

Should I move the light 1inch from the tallest seedling, or not? My fear is that not moving it further up will burn them. But if I moved it further up I'm afraid the smaller ones would stretch in order to get closer to the light.

All help is greatly appriciated! Not easy growing so far north
  13. jaydizzle jaydizzle

• Since: Apr 6, 2011
    An inch or two should be fine. CFLs can be VERY close to a plant without burning it