GA : Georgia gets a medical marijuana green light

Discussion in 'The Drug War Headline News' started by allenlovesgreen, Jun 22, 2009.

1. allenlovesgreen allenlovesgreen

• Subscriber
    • Since: Jun 26, 2008
    Georgia gets a medical marijuana green light
    6/21/09|Macon.com| by Ronald Fraser

[IMG]

At long last, policymakers in Washington have begun to draw a line between illicit drug use and the legitimate use of drugs as medicine. In March, President Obama’s attorney general announced the federal government will no longer prosecute medical marijuana clinics that operate in compliance with state laws. This means lawmakers in Atlanta are now free to decide — without interference from Washington — if marijuana will fill a medical niche in Georgia.

Thirteen states have already removed criminal penalties for the use of medical marijuana and actively regulate how, with a medical doctor’s recommendation, marijuana is made available for patients with cancer, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis, severe pain, glaucoma, epilepsy and other chronic conditions. But until now, Washington has disregarded these state laws. Since California legalized medical marijuana in 1996, for example, federal agents have raided over 100 marijuana distribution centers there.

WASHINGTON’S FIRST STEP.

The first step has been taken with Washington’s tacit acknowledgement that closing down state-regulated marijuana clinics is a misuse of taxpayers’ money and harmful to Americans coping with serious illnesses. Many thousands of ill people attest that smoking, vaporizing or orally ingesting marijuana relieves pain, nausea and other symptoms far more effectively than Marinol, a pharmaceutically available synthetic version of marijuana.

GEORGIA’S NEXT STEP?

According to the Marijuana Policy Project, a Washington-based advocate for legalizing medical marijuana, Georgia already has a limited medical marijuana law on the books. Under this statute, the state is authorized to distribute marijuana received from the federal government to a small number of patients taking part in research programs.

Washington’s new medical marijuana policy gives Georgia the freedom to exercise its historic roll as the primary watchdog for the health and welfare of its citizens. Whether or not Georgia patients will be given greater access to medical marijuana is now up to the state Legislature.

OTHER MEDICINAL DRUGS

Marijuana is not the only targeted medical drug. In all 50 states federal raids can still close down pain clinics and arrest pain management physicians who prescribe large doses of opioids, highly effective, legal painkillers made from opium or synthetics with the properties of opiate narcotics.

Dr. Joel Hochman, director of the National Foundation for the Treatment of Pain in Houston, Texas, says the drug-war hysteria is making it too risky for many doctors to accept patients in chronic pain and that, with help from the media, federal raids on so-called “pill mills” paint a false picture that the streets are awash in drugs carelessly handed out by unprincipled doctors. Instead, he claims, these clinics provide last-resort care to largely uninsured or under-insured blue-collar and other limited-income workers, many with work-related injuries, who can only afford a five-minute visit at high volume, low-cost, low-profit clinics.

What to do? “End opiophobia and fantasy-driven public policies,” says Hochman. “Confront the fact that law enforcement agencies and prisons are all strung out on the drug prohibition laws and need to be brought back to reality.”

Here is a rare opportunity for elected officials in Georgia and in Washington to take a long hard look at how harsh drug laws are undermining medical care in America. For the millions of people desperately coping with chronic ailments, let’s not waste it.
    6 people like this.
  2. LowRider LowRider

• Since: Jun 20, 2008
    sweet!!!! I knew they had a program but was never sure how it worked. hopefully the state gov gets on board and broaden its medical marijuana laws. And i'm moving there, SWEET...
  3. thewayiroll thewayiroll

• Since: Feb 24, 2009
    Legal from Doctor

I have had to Back surgeries and quit taking pain meds years ago because they were So addictive it took 6 months to come off them and the withdrawals were worse than my back pain. I smoke now and I do well. I live in Georgia and have been writing congress for a while, hopefully everyones hard work will pay off. If you live in a state that doesnt have it I would reccomend writing them daily. GOOD LUCK TO ALL ! This is a good day in Georgia and when it passes will be better.Congress do it for all the Tax dollars we pump in to this economy,Do it because citizens in pain need affordable options,Do it because it works for so many different ailments,do it because we the people have been asking for it and most of all do it because God gave it to us for many reasons and we should be allowed as adults to reap his gifts.
  4. BudSmoker92 BudSmoker92

• Since: Nov 26, 2008
    Ugh reading all these medical MJ bills make me hate living in Florida =(
  5. thewayiroll thewayiroll

How long?

Does anyone know once it is approved by congress how long it normally takes for the state to be in business?
  6. thewayiroll thewayiroll

You gotta remember Fla. is making a lot of money on ILLEGAL DRUGS and would bet many politicians are being paid to hold off as long as possible, but the good thing is its been a long time and the debate for Fla should happen soon for you hopefully. Write your congressmen everyday
  7. buzz buzz

• Since: Sep 24, 2007
    1 people like this.
  8. fivas69 fivas69

• Since: Apr 23, 2009
    Hey, at least you have a little chance. I live in Utah, we have no chance at all. Hopefully Idaho passes a bill soon.
  9. healthyherbi healthyherbi

• Since:
    Ending Prohibition

I personally do not remember the end of the prohibition of alcohol, but this is what seems to be in the works with Marijuana. The difference is that there are beneficial medical properties. The idea that it is a bad illegal "drug" is only because of the years of prohibition, brainwashing people to believe that is it dangerous. Meanwhile, legal use of alcohol has contributed to tens of thousands of deaths each year. It will be a slow process, but changing the mindsets to understand the benefits is the only way Marijuana will be accepted. In the meantime, there is a company that has developed a tax remittance, stored value card for the Medical Marijuana industry. Their solution will help the process of making a legitimate business out of Medical Marijuana. It gives the state and dispensary a way to easily monitor many aspects of business, including: tax issues, not having to deal with cash, patient information security, etc. Check them out at: Medical Marijuana, Inc.
  10. ConcernedGAResident ConcernedGAResident

• Since:
    Help the severely disabled and legalize

Very disabled people are suffering and sometimes the typical medications are not affective and sometimes cause serious reactions in certan patients. This is why doctors should be able to legally prescribe Marijuana in these situations. So I sincerely ask that the state of Georgia pass a law that would protect these patients right to have this medication. More information about an effective program that the state of Oregon has administered can be found at: State of Oregon: Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP)