Geek and nerds

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by circasurvivefan, May 12, 2009.

1. circasurvivefan circasurvivefan

• Since: Jun 5, 2007
    I have had this conversation with several people and we can never come to a conclusion. What is the difference between a geek and a nerd or are they interchangeable?

A nerd to me is someone who is smart and socially awkward, like those kids that are good at spelling bees, they are nerds.

Geeks are people who are obsessed with movies or comics like star trek and star wars fans.

No one take me too seriously, I'm not trying to make fun of anything. I've just had some funny discussions about this topic with my friends.
  2. MrIMStoned MrIMStoned

• |BIG BROTHER|
    • Since: Mar 17, 2002
    I always thought that a geek had all the same qualities as a nerd- except the intelligence.
    4 people like this.
  3. mud_head mud_head

• Since: Mar 28, 2009
    i dont know, in washington we considered nerds to be equal in everything but intelligence, of which geeks had more. we also had the classification of dork, which was like a nerd, only more socially compatible, while still being awkward. the ugly duckling, if i may.
    1 people like this.
  4. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    Geek...a nerd without the saving grace of being extremeely intelligent.
  5. mcduffee420 mcduffee420

• Since: Mar 8, 2009
    wow you did sum it up good though good way of looking at it mr.poster lol
  6. p0th3d p0th3d

• Since: Apr 14, 2009
    yeah..were i live it pretty much the same..a geek is someone who is into comics, star ways, sci-fi ect...and a nerd is a really smart who is socially awkward...however there are some nerds that are geeks as well
  7. everydaysupervillain everydaysupervillain

• Since: Apr 12, 2009
    Here, we pretty much use them interchangeably.
    I consider (and call myself) both. :)
  8. sheshighagain sheshighagain

• Since: Jul 1, 2008

I'm a geek! :banghead:

I recently pondered this question myself. I came to the conclusion that geeks are the smart ones and nerds are the comic book/ star wars fans.

I guess I got that one completely wrong. Ooops.
  9. VeniWeedyVici VeniWeedyVici

• Since: May 13, 2009
    I think nerds are mean and indifferent to most people. Geeks, anyone can be a geek really. You just have to be somewhat proficient at electronics to be called a geek I think.
  10. kontroversy kontroversy

• Im Stpwned
    • Since: Apr 25, 2006
    I consider myself intelligent, and a geek. While also being sociable and outgoing. IE, not a nerd.

I love Star Wars.
    I love computers and technology.
    I love video games.
    I love BSG.
    I wear a Star Wars belt every day.
    I have tattoos.
    I smoke weed.
    I love animation.
    I am in the top of my class.
    I have long hair.
    I have 00 in my ears.
    I like to shoot firearms.
    I can solve a rubiks cube.
    My iPhone is modded and hacked to the 9th dimension.

I could go on for f'in ever.

Oh btw, it is cool to be a geek these days.
    2 people like this.
  11. sheshighagain sheshighagain

• Since: Jul 1, 2008
    kontroversy, I think you rock. And you're right.. it is, in a really strange way, cool to be a geek.
  12. Guru Guru

• Since: Feb 5, 2009
    its called "Geek chic"

source, Wikipedia
    "Geek chic" refers to the embracing of stereotypically unpopular "geek" characteristics such as glasses, comic books, and computer games.
    It is highly debatable whether this trend actually means that "real geeks" are more popular than they were previously, or if it merely represents a superficial addition of "nerdy" elements to current fashion trends. Many elements that arguably define "geekiness", such as varying degrees of social awkwardness, mathematical ability, strong interest in science and/or science fiction and fantasy, and varying degrees of disinterest in one's personal appearance, remain unfashionable[citation needed]. Similar trends have often occurred in the past; for example, French Orientalism and exoticism of the 19th century incorporated visual elements from Asian and African cultures, but did not necessarily imply that people from these cultures were themselves viewed as fashionable.
    Some[who?] agree that the concept was born sometime during the mid 1990s, there is no consensus as to who originated it and where. It is often assumed that it was created by "real geeks" in an attempt to suppress their widely perceived public image as dull, introverted, and academic. However, there is a noticeable lack of prominent representatives in science and other geek-oriented professions who visibly sport geek chic images. Most, if not all celebrity exponents of geek chic have emerged from the entertainment field. Actor David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor in Doctor Who, has described the look of his character as geek chic.[5]
    Aside from eyeglasses, it is also debatable as to whether the geek chic fashion actually borrows at all from the stereotypical geek image which is based on lack of fashion sense, or more specifically an overtly studious, academic appearance, hence the so-called "Poindexter" look. Instead, much of the geek chic image borrows from various alternative youth fashions such as emo, goth, hippie, and bohemian amongst others. Although, t-shirts with computer programming in-jokes seems to originate from the widespread Hollywood depiction of Silicon Valley employees and other computer geeks. This exaggeration is based on the more casual dress code in place in many such companies although in reality, this is still mostly limited to business appropriate attire
  13. yoman3 yoman3

• Has boobs as an avatar
    • Since: Feb 26, 2009
    It's all about being a loser. If you study a hell of a lot and get like, straight A's you're a nerd, but you can still have social skills and be quote/unquote "cool". You can be a geek and still be a cool geek.

If you're really socially awkward though and do the cliche nerd/geek stuff...then you are a loser.
    1 people like this.
  14. Yeshu Yeshu

• Since: May 12, 2009
    The difference between a geek and a nerd is a geek is socially awkward and sticks to their "undesirable" habits, but still wants to fit in. Nerds are intelligent and not into stupid bullshit. Nerds basically tell everyone to f-off.
    I hate the idea that it is cool to be a geek. There is counter culture, which might as well be the same as regular culture; it is equally as fake. Then there is counter-counter culture. Nerds go with the latter.