getting caught, mailing pot?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by hittinit, Dec 29, 2006.

1. hittinit hittinit

• Since: Dec 29, 2006
    What exactly happens if you do get caught mailing under an oz? Most articles I've checked up only talk a bout people getting busted over pounds.
  2. stillalive2029 stillalive2029

• Since: Dec 27, 2006
    i have no idea, but I would also like to know the answer to this. anyone with info?
  3. king cola king cola

• Since: Mar 7, 2004
    I'm not too sure about this but i think getting caught mailing any amount of marijuana in the mail might be a federal crime because your using a U.S government system for something illegal.
  4. stillalive2029 stillalive2029

• Since: Dec 27, 2006
    what exactly does a federal crime's punishments consist of?
  5. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    • Since: Feb 14, 2006
    It would vary, depending on teh crime.
  6. ninfan77 ninfan77

• Since: Nov 10, 2005
    Depends on how much you send, and whether or not it gets turned over to state cops. Be damn sure its at least a hefty fine, a lot of probation for first timers. More than likely a short jail sentence if you got hosed by your lawyer.

It varies is all one can really say.
  7. TGR TGR

• Since: Jan 11, 2007
    One of the big differences in federal and state crimes is how much of the sentence you actually serve. State misdemeanors and felonies involve a "Good time" system with allows you to actually only serve about 75% of your sentence.
    Federal time, if I'm not mistaken, requires you to serve your sentence day-for-day, or 100%. In addition, federal crimes typically involve significantly greater sentences.
    Finally, federal institutions are not what has been portrayed as the posh country clubs. Federal prisons are, 99% of the time, much much worse than a state facility.
  8. king cola king cola

• Since: Mar 7, 2004
    I heard that federal prison is better than state prison because in federal prison you have a lot of people in there for white collar crimes such as embezzlement which would mean that the prison population might have a decent amount of buisness men which are more than likely non violent criminals. At the sametime it also doesn't mean the whole prison is non violent people. You still have murderers in there and bank robbers, etc. It certaintly doesn't mean easier jail time either.

State and federal prisons are always going to have a mix of violent and non violent criminals, but a federal prison might actually be cleaner and more monitored. Some of the cells in federal prisons the people are locked up 23 hours a day in a cell that's smaller than what a state cell would be and a door that is more isolated without having bars on it. On the other hand those people are by themselves which would make for less chance of getting into a fight.

If someone like Bill Gates that is worth 100 billion dollars ever went to prison for a crime they would probably get treated better than most inmates. Money can go along way if people have enough of it.

Your original question was about shipping marijuana. It's pathetic that any of us should even have that fear over a plant, but at this point they keep it illegal. Someone gets caught growing pot or with enough of it and they face getting put in jail with people that have done worse crimes that effect other peoples lives and not just their own. I mentioned about embezzlers in jail, they steal from other people, with marijuana it doesn't effect other people in a way that should be considered a crime, the law against marijuana is the reason people face certain consequences and their lives are disrupted.

I don't know what the penalty would be if your caught shipping under a ounce. In some places if you so much as step foot on a plane and bring a joint with you and your caught with that joint arriving at another airport it could be a smuggling charge which is serious.

What ninfan said!

It's your decision to make, you probably would be less likely to get caught sending under a ounce but theres no guarentees on it, i've never tried shipping it. Just going to say that no jail is good to be in and it might not be worth the risk to mail marijuana. Even if you were caught and no jail time was given, probation would suck.
  9. ninfan77 ninfan77

• Since: Nov 10, 2005
    Re: Fed vs state.

In my experience, Fed prisons again vary, there is also camp, med, max security federal institutions. I'd love a camp over state prison any day.

As far as cleanliness, fed was cleaner, staff more "knowledgeable" etc... On the flip side, you could usually con yourself some things you really shouldnt have in state prison. Not talking illegal items here..

Both are riddled with ex military types, so you gotta know how far you can push things. In general, being a good guy w/ the guards, not causing them shit, keeps you reasonably well treated, sometimes "let off" for minor problems...
  10. The_Bishop The_Bishop

• Since: Feb 3, 2010
    I read recently in an article about mailing weed out of Colorado that small amounts are put in a "mail recovery center" and it places the burden on the sender or recipient to come claim them:

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/news/marijuana/ci_20058373

11. The_Bishop The_Bishop

• Since: Feb 3, 2010
    Did you get caught mailing 10 grams Revie? If you mailed it, how did they discover what you mailed?
  12. stoneygreenbud stoneygreenbud

• Super Moderator
    • Since: Oct 31, 2005
    I can't say what they might do with finding a small amount of weed, but for a large amount, I've seen the police go to great lengths to locate the receiver of the package and try to deliver it, along with using finger prints to try and identify the sender too. I have been told many times of people sending small amounts through and not having any problems, but you have to make sure it's packaged properly. Personally I wouldn't take the risk, but some people do. ~Stoney~