High Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Weed-PotHead, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Weed-PotHead Weed-PotHead

• Since: Jul 29, 2006
    I have a question, how does maryjuanav affect your blood pressure?

If you have high blood plessure does it affect you in a positive or negative way, and the other way around.

Thanks for any answers, :)
  2. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Marijuana tends to raise your blood pressure a little while you are smoking and then lowers it for the rest of the time you're high. You have to be careful if you are taking other meds that lower your blood pressure.

I have naturally low blood pressure and when I get high I have to pay attention when I stand up after sitting or lying down for a while. Orthostatic (or Postural) Hypotension is the momentary low blood pressure condition that many people get when they stand up. It makes you dizzy and a bit faint for a few seconds. Add the lowered blood pressure from marijuana and/or blood pressure meds and you could wake up on the floor.
  3. Zubi420 Zubi420

• Since:
    Hey buzzby, does orthastatic hypotension have any permanent effect like if it happens to you a lot and really intensely. Sometimes after the rush hits and goes away i feel like the plugs in my brain are being pulled out of the socket. Like everytime it goes away i might feel like a feeling of one plug being pulled. Thats the best i could describe the feeling.

One time i fainted because i stood up and stretched then I dont know what happened. Apparently i fell on a stand up fan and woke up from the pain of it. By the way this was before i ever started smoking. I have it even when im not smoking and before i started. I have to be extra extra extra extra extra careful when im high.
  4. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    If you fall and fracture your skull it might have some permanent effects. ;)

Are you, by any chance, an artificial life form? :laugh:

It sounds like you have naturally low blood pressure, as I do.
  5. Weed-PotHead Weed-PotHead

Ok buzzby, thanks for the great answer.

So, it cant make me feel sick or anything, or, even kill me huh?

And, while im smoking it can make my blood pressure go high and when im relaxing high, it goes down?

But while im smoking, it doesnt go up that much that it could hurt me in any way, or can it?

Thanks for any answers man :)
  6. Zubi420 Zubi420

• Since:
    THanks buzzby but about the plugs, its like a feeling when you get a stroke like something popped or disconnected, thats as best as i could describe it. Thanks anyway the question about permanent damage was more important.:)
  7. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    If you equate feeling dizzy and faint with feeling sick then it can make you feel sick. In all of recorded history, no one has ever died from the direct effects of using marijuana.

It goes up a little when you're smoking and then drops down below your normal level. dedbr says it lowers both blood pressure figures by 20 points for him.
  8. Dedbr Dedbr

• Domestic War Veteran
    • Since: Mar 24, 2001
    I better drop a dimes worth in....

for many years I had read medical literature and doctors warnings about how marijuana would raise blood pressure levels over a period of time, sometimes to a dangerous level, especially in a person with hypertension, or high blood pressure, like me....:)

Now remember, this is only my experience and my body, not a clinical study. I have had to monitor my blood pressure for the last twelve years, and the results have been significant.

If I smoke a normal amount of herb, say two joints a day, my pressure will maintain a twenty point drop on both numbers for twenty four hours.

That is considered significant.

If I smoke more It doesn't go any lower, but it definately could make a difference in a lot of peoples lives if research could be done in this.

But, ya know how it is.......:toocool:....Just dope.....can't be medicine, oh no.....screw that.....

Some Where In Ded Land.............
  9. Stem Stem

• Since: Jul 31, 2006
    I'm gonna share my troubles in this thread because its not too off topic.

I have high blood pressure. My heart definately doesn't feel like its in the same great shape it was in ten years ago. I've been trying lately to get back into shape while I'm still young.

The last time I smoked weed (about six months ago) I had a horrible experience. I've smoked it plenty of times prior to this, but never had this kind of bad reaction. I started freaking out because I realized my heart was beating a million miles a minute. I started to worry that I was gonna have a heart attack. I spent the rest of the night curled up in the corner of the room while my friends tried to calm me down.

On a side note, I was also hearing crazy garbled up "voices" in my head. I've never experienced nor heard of anything like that before... Is that a normal thing?

The real strange thing is I didn't even smoke very much that night. I wasn't expecting anything more than a slight buzz. I've smoked it in much greater quantities before and never had that kind of high. The friends I done it with, who are even more experienced than me, also agreed that they've never experienced that kind of high before.

So anyway, I recently got hired for a new job that no longer does drug tests. My friends brought up the idea of "celebrating." I really want to do it, but I don't want to have another bad trip. I think it would help if some of you wise forum goers could reassure me that I don't have to worry about health risks.
  10. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    It sounds like your basic, garden-variety panic attack. Try this search.
  11. Weed-PotHead Weed-PotHead

What ive heard and read, you dont have to be worried about health risks, its all in your head man, you just have to think that the drug is doing this to you and nothing more, you aint going to die.

That weed maybee was really strong, but thats how it is sometimes, I smoked really really little my first time and got extremly high, but some other people tell me that they smokd 2 joints before they even felt high.
    So its different, but if you didnt die the first time and it happends again, play with it, thats what I did, couse belive me, I started freakn out when I was high, but then calmd my self down and started enjoying the ride.
    You didnt die the first time you aint going to die the second, third, fourth etc......

Just think its all in your head and youll be fine, smoke again, and dont think just couse its been 6 month you body is going to freak out or your going to die, there is people that have never smoked pot and can smoke more then most of the potheads.
    You aint going to die, tell you self that when you smoke, couse IF you die, your going right to the NEWSPAPER on the FIRST PAGE, coue your going to be the first human dying from Marijuana
  12. Dero Dero

• Since: Jan 10, 2011
    MJ lowers my BP & keeps it low. My doc told me to be careful if I take pills because if BP too low, you could have a stroke. Stopped the pills which didn't help anyway & just smoke or eat MJ. I believe it's healthier. But everyone is different & my BP is borderline. Talk to your doc if you're in a state where it's legal.
  13. Sean07 Sean07

• Since: Apr 6, 2011
    Yes you need to ask your doctor if it troubles and don't late. The main thing that also counts is to avoid taking bath in high blood pressure and drink some juice. These are some basic precautions in my point of view because my mom is the patient of high blood pressure and i know some of the things.
  14. Trigga Trigga

• Since: Jan 6, 2011
    I have high blood pressure and my doc said I should get that blood pressure gauge for home use and write down my everyday pressure .. I always did that when I wasn't high and it would be higher than normal .. then one time my mom wanted to check it cause I stopped and I just smoked a joint like 20 mins ago and it was normal for the first time :D
  15. StudyBuddy StudyBuddy

• Since: Sep 5, 2011
    Hi Dedbr,

I'd actually like to help you with the "research" you're talking about, if you're at all interested. I'm pretty lightweight about pot consumption, but I'd measure my results similarly and share them if it helps get a larger-scale study off the ground.

I've been tracking my blood pressure for a couple weeks now...first, background:

I'm in my late twenties. I'm studying to certify as a personal trainer; exercising at least once a day, five days a week. I maintain an organic diet with little to no meat...my saturated fats come from eggs, coconut, olive and hemp seed oils, and almost all of my sugars come from fruits. I avoid HFCS like the plague and you couldn't pay me to choke down anything loaded with any preservatives other than citrus juice or table salt. Personal stress levels are admittedly kind of high, but I've acclimated, and have no family history of heart disease or blood pressure abnormalities of any kind.

... ...yeah, that's alot of info, but basically, I meet all the criteria for a healthy heart, and yet, my pressures soar well within the high-side of Stage I hypertension ranges like they have no shame at all. It's all but surreal.

Smoking pot has way too harsh an effect on my mental state, but eating it in buttered form is a much more agreeable means for me. I'd guess that this approach would serve to eliminate the hypertensive spike that Buzzby referred to, and have the potential for a more sustained delivery. I can easily monitor my pressures on a daily basis, with or without consumption, and can measure the amounts ingested, amount of time elapsed, and average effect without much difficulty...really, the only challenging thing would be tracking my food portions (...which is difficult enough anyway... I eat like a horse. =P )

Maybe there's already a study going on? Maybe something like this would be good to piggy-back onto it, and "feed the fire" so to speak? Thoughts?
  16. Verycreative Verycreative

• Since: Feb 16, 2012
    Marijuana and high blood pressure

Hey everybody I recently went to the doctor and they told me I had high blood pressure, about 140/80. And so the past couple days I've gotten it checked and it's now around 140/50. I have been smoking almost daily for the past tree months, and I also take 4 .01mg pills of clonidine as medication for my tourettes. Would this mixture cause high blood pressure, even though they're both meant for lowering it (supposedly)? Also how long would it take for my blood pressure to return back to normal if I stop smoking for the time being? I know it can take anywhere from 30-90'ish days to be undetectable in a drug screening, how about just to get rid of the side effects though? Such as the high blood pressure

Thanks for all the help!
  17. stoneygreenbud stoneygreenbud

• Super Moderator
    • Since: Oct 31, 2005

Smoking anything will usually increase your blood pressure. if it was just the weed, IMO your blood pressure would or should return back to normal with-in an hour of smoking the last time.

Although, your blood pressure could be high for any number of other reasons as well, and if you are registering a high pressure even when not smoking for a period of time, then I would be looking in other directions for a cause.

if it continues to be bothersome, I would consider maybe trying a vape instead of smoking

That's just my opinion,

~Stoney~

18. Dedbr Dedbr

• Domestic War Veteran
    • Since: Mar 24, 2001
    Here's the thread you need......;)

Ded.......
  19. stoneygreenbud stoneygreenbud

• Super Moderator
    • Since: Oct 31, 2005

Where ? I don't see anything ded ?

~Stoney~

20. pHAETON pHAETON

• Since: Apr 21, 2011
    I was having heart issues a while back and had to wear a 24 hour heart monitor and keep a journal of activity. Eat, poop, drive, run, etc.
    There were two entries,"marijuana vapor inhalation" as I wanted an accurate report, my life on the line.
    The vapor hits were not a problem. The doctor did not recommend for or against, other items were actually more important than marijuana intake as regards my heart.

I did not smoke high carbon monoxide tokes from regular pipes or bongs. Carbon monoxide is dangerous to a borderline heart, nothing to do with the marijuana.