Home Test Faint Line.....

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by thats tough, May 7, 2008.

1. thats tough thats tough

• Since: May 7, 2008
    I would appreciate some clarity on this whole line thing. The cutoffs for these test are 50/ngs (I believe...). The tests say that if ANY type of line shows up, that means the result is a negative. This obviously means that your either really close or below the cutoff....My main concern is that how do these labs view this. I am under the impression that most places will not use the GC/MS method unless the first test comes back as positive. If this border line result comes up in a lab, does they push the envelope or take it as a passing grade?
  2. anxious anxious

• Since: May 4, 2008
    Why do you say that? If the test says that color of line or thickness is not an indication of metabolite levels, why would you assume otherwise.

The rule of thumb I have seen is that if the line can be photographed or photocopied, it is a line and a negative.

I don't think the test/tester really cares how negative you are, just that you are negative. Negative = no more testing.
  3. lew scannon lew scannon

• Banned
    • Since: Jun 5, 2005
    I concur with anxious.

To say that a faint line on an assay indicates that a sample is close to the cutoff level would be conjecturing because assays lack the ability to provide a quantitive number, unlike the GC/MS test.
    1 people like this.
  4. MonarchX MonarchX

• Since: Oct 2, 2005
    The line changes color from faint to solid the further you go without smoking. I have been testing myself for a while and at first I had about 1/2 of the faint line, then next cup had faint full line, and then I diluted and tested with another cup - the line was even stronger.

I think faint line is indication of metabolite presence but too small to fail.
    1 people like this.
  5. Secs Secs

• Since: Dec 21, 2005
    I give 5 panel instant tests all the time for employers. For negative 5-panels, the opiate line is always very dark, the amphetamine line is almost always considerably lighter thant the opiate line and the marijuana line varies from donor to donor. The cocaine line is usually the same darkness for negative readings and the amphetamine and Methamphetamine lines also vary from donor to donor. That doesn't mean the donor has any of those substances in their system, it doesn't mean they don't. It only means there isn't enough to trigger a non-negative result.

If the line can be photocopied or photographed, it should be considered negative.
    3 people like this.
  6. anxious anxious

• Since: May 4, 2008
    thanks sec. this clears up a lot of questions about the "faintness" of the lines.

i have noticed that they vary from test to test (first check cup vs. first check disc vs. dip stick vs. dip strip) -

but, a line is a line is a line. yay.
  7. herewego12 herewego12

• Since: May 18, 2008
    could i love this site anymore...i just took another quick test at home and saw a faint line. according to the manual; it cleary states that regardless of how light the line is, if you see it-its negative. i did take the test at night after drinking a buttload of liquids during the day...with my test coming up maybe i should get another at home test and test myself in the morning when most concentrated? i have lined up quick fix, clean urine, etc. and now think i can take a stab at it with my own urine...and then come home and fire up :)