Homemade wood pipe?

Discussion in 'Homemade Paraphernalia' started by metals189, Mar 7, 2011.

1. metals189 metals189

• Since: Mar 7, 2011
    Hey everyone. I'd just like to point out that im new here, so any mistake i might make i apologize. I just started smoking weed about a month ago. I have tried it before, but now im smoking it about every weekend. I dont have a pipe though :( I've just been using a pop can. It works.... But a pipe would be better. I thought maybe i could make one, Perhaps out of wood. I do wood work all the time so, i think making a wood pipe would be right up my alley. I have a pretty good idea about how im going to make it. Im just going to take a stick, and carve a bowl on top. Then im going to drill from the end of the stick, to where i have the bowl carved. But the only problem i can see is what should i use for a screen. I cant buy screens either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
  2. caffiendess caffiendess

• Since: Feb 28, 2011
    Sounds Awesome!!

I want one :hail: LOL
    but seriously, it does sound cool a pipe that is hand carved.
    About screens, when I was a kid I would just steal one out of the faucet when I needed.
    Good luck ;)
  3. 5drive 5drive

• Slacker
    • Since: Jul 31, 2006
    Be sure you use a good variety of wood, like Cherry or hard Maple. And the wood needs to be properly cured, or dried, before you use it (this takes time). Meanwhile, you can make an apple pipe. They don't last long, but they work well, and apples are cheap.

youtube.com/results?search_query=making+an+apple+pipe&aq=f
  4. Karigrandi Karigrandi

• Since: Oct 31, 2010
    Oh I'd love to make a pipe myself, it would be so awesome to smoke out of a pipe made by yourself. With proper tools it shouldn't be a problem but it depends of course what kind of pipe you are making, for example churchwarden pipe (pretty much same what Gandalf used in lotr movies) would me much harder to make than say a corncob pipe.

The proper material is crucial, because you want your lovely pipe to last as long as possible. As far as I know best wood for pipe would be briarwood but it might be pretty hard to get, but like 5drive said cherry or hard maple are also very good.

Do some internet research, there is plenty of guides that will explain the pipe making steps in great detail. And keep us posted!
  5. chronreef chronreef

• Since: Feb 22, 2011
    Never use Manzanita wood or root. It gives off toxic smoke when burned and will make you ill. There are a lot os good hardwoods available. I like the look of cocobolo myself.
  6. nickyman22 nickyman22

• Since: Mar 9, 2011
    I made one before I even started smoking marijuana just for fun. I had a block of wood and I first took a drill press and made a bowl (far too big) and then drilled a hole for the stem I guess its called. After that I used a belt sander to shape it. It's a little rough but its fun to smoke out of. I have no idea what kind of wood it is either. And right around the bowl where I sanded it, its pretty thin and I dipped it in water to clean it off, and it made it crack right there, I guess from wood expanding and stuff from the water. Fun project though. and first post! woot!