How bad is smoking marijuana as a teen?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by thefirsttimer, Jun 9, 2010.

1. thefirsttimer thefirsttimer

• Since: May 1, 2010
    Hey, guys I'm 16 and I just started smoking weed recently. I heard that the brain is not fully developed until the age of 25, and at the age of teen years, vital parts of the brain are being developed and if you smoke weed, you interfere with brain development. I know this is true, but how bad is it? I am very good in school, all A'S and some B'S, and I want to go to a top level 4 year college/university. When people say it interferes with brain development, what are some possible risks/outcomes of smoking in your teen years? I'm guessing:

-Permanent short term memory when you get older

-Inability to concentrate efficiently as compared to those who did not smoke weed as teens

- Solving and Logic is Impaired/Weak compared to non-smokers as teens

Should I quit, and start back up when I am in my 20's?
  2. pyromanizak pyromanizak

• Since: Jun 11, 2009
    Yes they would be an excellent idea, i was reading a study that found people who started smoking at 15 were 4.75 times more likely to develop psychosis, at 16 years 3.5 times more likely, at 17, 2 times more likely at 18 1.5. Im not sure if they were the exact numbers lol but pretty close, anyway as you can see by the time someone was 19-20 the risk of psychosis would be pretty much diminished. Just for the sake of school and everything just stop til your older. You'l be glad you did.
  3. thefirsttimer thefirsttimer

Wow!!!!
  4. Kushy Kushy

• down
    • Since: May 2, 2009
    Jeez dude you sound like a little prohibitionist lap dog. You've been reading too many studies from BBC and government funded studies. Psychosis has been one of the biggest areas of bullshit talked about by prohibitionists and the argument makes no sense. Weed has never been responsible for giving anybody a mental illness nor has it ever killed anyone. And don't you think it's a little funny that the only reportings of "marijuana psychosis" have been released by government media sources in only Australia Britain and U.S.A?
    Oh and aren't you like 17? I think i remembered that from another thread, but a little hypocritic no? How can you be telling him to quit when you're the same age as him. It's easy to tell someone else to wait til theyre older but it's always way bigger of a deal when it's you
  5. yoshi31 yoshi31

• Since: Feb 28, 2010
    Id say the only risk is getting "addicted", because I mean teens are so stupid about things and tend to do stupid things.
    I have read some threads about this, some people think that it can actually have some risks, but others say its not dangeous. You can use the search button, there is a very similar thread like this.

I think that it is not dangerous if you are responsible. Im 17 and started smoking when I was 16. I had always been an A's and B's kind off student, and I am still on the same line... I also do sports and I can say im good at them, i actually many times beat non marijuana smokers.
  6. quester quester

• Since: Mar 19, 2010
    Yes you should!
    But not for the reasons you have listed.
    You should stop because if you do there will be MORE FOR ME!
    :D
    1 people like this.
  7. benjammin21 benjammin21

• Since: Jan 9, 2009
    Oh my god I could name a number of people from high school who fit into these categories, especially the concentration part...honestly i'm glad i didn't start smoking til i was 18. You know those typical stoner pothead kids in high school? They stay that way through their 20s, more often than not. Generally its just because they get into offtopics though...

There are times when the herb should be smoked, generously :afro:

and there are times when you should just be doing your normal every day shit, cause thats how all of life is after high school. College you'll have a week with no tests and you'll just be partying.. then you'll have a week where all your professors decide to schedule exams.

me and my friends always say "ya gotta do what ya gotta do." school first, then kickin' back or partying.
  8. Shellshock Shellshock

• Subscriber
    • Since: Oct 16, 2009
    Who are you to say that a stoner pothead in high school cannot smoke a natural substance while still keeping tabs on ambitions? Marijuana affects people differently. My best friend stopped smoking weed for two months, and when he tried it again he said it made him sluggish in the morning. Me? I smoked weed the day before my Mixed Martial Arts tournament just so I could get over the nerves. It's not always about the age of the participant, but it's how well that individual is at keeping something in moderation (at least on a personal level).
    2 people like this.
  9. LonerStoner LonerStoner

• Peace, Love, and Pot!
    • Since: May 28, 2010
    I'm 18 and marijuana's what gets me through school. I have chronic back pain due to an injury and chronic insomnia partly due to that, but also general anxiety. If I don't smoke my circadian rhythm gets backwards and I miss a ton of school. My back pain is worsened by sitting extended periods of time, so school is basically hell as far as that. It helps my focus, and I'm apparently being tested for ADD this month. So, without weed I wouldn't be getting my diploma on time for sure. All of the stuff I've seen on it being detrimental to teens has been as unsure sounding and inconclusive as the speculation of life on other planets. I know a few people that are now in their mid sixties that were present at Woodstock (I even have a great aunt that ran with the Grateful Dead) and have smoked plenty of pot over their lifetime, yet are still successful entrepreneurs. I also know countless people in their 40s-50s (my parent's generation) that have smoked their entire life and don't have near as bad memory/reasoning skills as my grandparents who haven't picked up much but a glass of wine let alone smoked weed who are slightly older.

By the way I have straight A's and am taking AP/college classes, so it's definitely not negatively effecting me short term as far as that's all concerned.
  10. Bhikku Bhikku

• News Administrator
    • Since: Jun 14, 2006
    I think it would be highly advisable. 16 is the age you need to be concentrated on your studies and what direction you're going to be steering your life for the next few decades or so, you don't have time to mess around.

It's the one shot you have at a decent education and a job that wouldn't eat your soul, don't fuck it up.
  11. Buds_Of_Steele Buds_Of_Steele

• Your Undisputed Disputer
    • Since: Jul 11, 2009
    Im 15 and i've been smoking almost regularly for almost a year and a half now. I have a 90 average, i'm physically fit and my memory is no different then it was before I started smoking.

As far as health detriments go, the risks with smoking marijuana at a young age are minuscule. You need to be able to find a balance between smoking and getting things done. If you can do homework or study when you are high and maintain your grades like I can then go ahead. However if you find yourself unable to concentrate or get things done when you are high then you need to put your work first.

If we're going to get it legalized we need more people to make smart decisions and show the world that the media's stoner stereotype is bullshit.
    FrequentFlyer and kmak like this.
  12. Shellshock Shellshock

• Subscriber
    • Since: Oct 16, 2009
    Yeah I have a similar story. Starting smoking weed everyday in the September of grade 12, had been smoking it for two years prior but only recreationally. When I started, I got more involved with school and my grades ended up soaring. I also got more involved with sports.

Just remember it's not about whether marijuana is going to hamper your health, but what is important is that you don't want it to hamper your future just because you couldn't keep the habit under control :)
    2 people like this.
  13. st0ner777 st0ner777

• Since: Jun 10, 2010
    im 16 as well i smoke maybe once every month because i gotta concentrate on school and work i have 6 a`s and 1 b
  14. Grass-Smoka Grass-Smoka

• 303% Acid
    • Since: Oct 5, 2009
    Quit? You've never even started. From what I've read you only smoked once. Chill out, and I agree with everyone that debunked those stereotypical teenage stoner comments and those false studies.
  15. tanyatoke tanyatoke

• Since: Jun 9, 2010
    hahaha hell yeah!

if you choose to smoke, just continue to exercise your brain and youll be fine. my friend graduated with a 3.8gpa who smoked and smokes pot everyday :)

happy smoking! :rasta:
  16. thefirsttimer thefirsttimer

Where did I say that? In my previous threads I have said that I have smoked 7 or 8 times.
  17. LonerStoner LonerStoner

• Peace, Love, and Pot!
    • Since: May 28, 2010
    Your name is first timer haha :D I don't know though, I guess people could assume from that point.

That's what you said about it though. 7-8 times is still no big deal. I mean a weekend smoker or something to that affect isn't going to ruin you for life. :)
  18. Bobmuller Bobmuller

• Since: Jun 11, 2010
    Yes you should quit. Get through school first. When your 21 then go for it, but be careful it is still illegal
  19. Smokey McBongwater Smokey McBongwater

• Since: Apr 20, 2010
    I hate "people who smoke pot are lazy" stereotypes. Weed has NEVER effected my life in a negative way. I never lost any noticeable lung capacity or short term memory and it never made me any lazier. Actually when i get high its quite the contrary I always wanna be doing shit.
  20. feedyourhead feedyourhead

• Girly Girl
    • Since: Jun 3, 2007
    I don't think that ALL teens shouldn't use marijuana, but those that are at least 18 should be able to. I've already decided that my future children will not be allowed to smoke in my home until they're 18 (not that their father and I will be toking up in front of them or anything.) The way I see it, I am responsible for them until then and when they are adults they can make adult choices, one of which is the use of illegal drugs. My fiance's mom and dad told him "no drugs, drinking, or sex until you're out of high school..." and they let him pretty much do whatever he wanted as long as he wasn't doing those three. It worked, and he didn't so much as take a puff off of a joint until the day he graduated from high school. This would be my ideal situation with my kids regarding drugs.
    1 people like this.