How can Marijuana benifit narcolepsy patients?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by worldindustries19, Apr 11, 2008.

1. worldindustries19 worldindustries19

• Since: Jan 3, 2008
    ive been a smoker for about 4 years now and i was recently diagnosed with narcolepsy and was wondering how marijuana would help with narcolepsy or if it would be benificial at all to use it. please help:rolleyes:
  2. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I'm narcoleptic, but my case is atypical. Without some kind of medication I get nothing but REM sleep, leaving me as tired as I was when I went to bed.

A little bit of marijuana along with a dose of Trazodone before bed allows me to get at least a little deep sleep, which has helped tremendously with daytime sleepiness. I used to use another prescription drug along with the Trazodone, but it left me feeling doped up until the middle of the afternoon.

I don't know what it could do for typical narcolepsy. Since it makes most people sleepy, it would seem to be contraindicated.
  3. worldindustries19 worldindustries19

• Since: Jan 3, 2008
    yea thats what i was kinda thinking.. i just wanted to make sure and see if there was anyway it would be helpful. thank you
  4. keelo keelo

• Since: Jul 5, 2008
    I also suffer from narcolepsy (I was diagnosed about 4 years ago) and have found that smoking pot at night makes me sleep much better. I usually wake up about 10 times a night, but when I'm high and go to sleep I get at least 4 hours of wonderful sleep before I start waking up again. I don't smoke every night before I go to bed, but whenever I'm particularly tired and my meds are barely keeping me awake, I toke up and go to bed and feel much better.

Maybe I should see if I can get it prescribed by a doctor....