How do i overcome "panic attacks"

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Oscarino, May 29, 2005.

1. Oscarino Oscarino

• Since: May 29, 2005
    I have smoked weed for about 4 years now and never had any problems until about 4 months ago when i started to get all the symptoms of what is described here as panic attacks. Even though i know it is all in my head i still can't enjoy smoking as i used to. Has anybody here gone through this and got back to smoking happily, could you tell me how you did this?
    Thanks,
    Oscar.
  2. Plainsman1963 Plainsman1963

• Since: Jul 19, 2002
    Did you run across this:
    From this thread? :)
  3. Oscarino Oscarino

I read that. But i don't want to have to go through all that every time i want to get high. I don,t know why it started. I tried taking a month off but that didn't help.,Has anyone here experienced this and solved the problem.
    Thanks,
    Oscar
  4. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
    So you read it but you don't want to do that? Don't know what to tell you then, if you THINK you are going to get a panic attack everytime you smoke then there's your problem. Try takeing 3-6 months off instead of just a month. Start slow.
  5. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I'm sorry you didn't like the answer, but that's what works.

Another approach would be to start seeing a psychiatrist and get treatment (talk therapy, drugs) for an anxiety disorder. It would work but it's kinda like swatting flies with a howitzer.

A panic attack, whatever caused it in the first place, leaves a "residue" of anxiety behind. You're subconsciously afraid it'll happen again and that's what causes it to happen again. The way out is to decondition yourself. That's what the technique is all about. It's controlled relaxation and avoidance of the kind of circumstances that are likely to precipitate a panic attack. You gradually teach your subconscious that it's possible for you to smoke without panicking.
  6. PurpleKushSkunk PurpleKushSkunk

• Since: Apr 23, 2005
    Well first off, I must say that I do not enjoy panic attacks neither.
    From my point of view the more you are used to getting high and being comfortable, the more that panic attacks decrease.
    I know when you are high you can all of sudden detect a panic attack in its early stages, well when you DO detect panic attacks trying to "take over" your mind, think about something else, try to distract yourself, perhaps play a video game, put some music on, search the internet and read interesting stuff you like, or anything that can distract your mind but at the same time make you comfortable.
    I hope this helps.
    LATER.:camper:
  7. Oscarino Oscarino

cheers, i smoked last night with a friend and felt ok, i didn't smoke much. I'll just take it easy and remember its in my head.