How long do YOU hold it in?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by TheQuestionMark, Dec 6, 2008.

1. TheQuestionMark TheQuestionMark

• Since: Nov 27, 2008
    So I've noticed that everyone has a different opinion about how long you should hold in pot smoke. Some say to hold it in as long as possible, and others say that the THC will absorb into your lungs almost instantly.

I tend to hold it in longer if i take a huge hit from a bong, and I only hold it in for a few seconds if its a smaller hit from a pipe.

What do you do?
    2 people like this.
  2. Up In Smoke Up In Smoke

• Since:
    3 seconds seems to be the number you're looking for.

Anything less, you arent getting the potential to absorb all the THC content in the smoke/vapour.

Anything more, you are doing significant lung damage. (Smoking)
  3. o_t00high_o o_t00high_o

• Since: Aug 21, 2008
    Yeah, holding it in forever is pointless, unless the point is to harm your lungs.
    As said by Smoke, 3 seconds is the optimal number to hold it in.

If you want to see an idiot to the thing you are NOT supposed to do. There is this guy on Youtube who has these videos about "hold your hits in kids" or some bullshit. He holds it in so long he blows out hardly any smoke. Ignorant potheads..*shakes head*.
  4. Dark Dark

• Fool on the Hill
    • Since: Jun 13, 2004
    Really I dont think about it much, but around 5 seconds.
  5. homemadebubbler homemadebubbler

• Always bubblin'
    • Since: Jun 2, 2005
    I probably only usually hold it in for 2 seconds. I exhale if its uncomfortable or I just feel like breathing...
  6. Freedom_User Freedom_User

• ....Is really high
    • Since: Mar 15, 2008
    2-5. Depending on how well I take a hit.
    1 people like this.
  7. SmokeyMcPott SmokeyMcPott

• Since: Feb 13, 2005
    At least a couple seconds. I used to hold em in forever but now I can feel the repercussions of that a few years later.
  8. macphearsome macphearsome

• Since: Sep 17, 2002
    I don't really hold it in at all. I just take a big, slow hit, then I suck in some air behind it and breathe it all out again.
  9. Purpose420 Purpose420

• Since: Feb 17, 2007
    I can hold a vapor hit in a good 5 seconds, which is a damn site better than not being able to hold your breath at all, which was the case prior to using it daily.
  10. krad krad

• Since: Jul 6, 2006
    i exhale schwag a lot quicker then chronic, but 5 seconds average
  11. SweetBudz SweetBudz

• Since: Sep 9, 2008
    hah, another oh so familiar thread with the same answers..this being the correct one!..i remember at 15 my friends older brother always held it in for 5 seconds...and said when he was our age hed just inahle and let it out...i had been smoking holding it for 2 seconds for years..but recently i now always hold it for 5 sec..u get the maximum absorption
  12. dirtbomb dirtbomb

• Hippie
    • Since: Sep 1, 2008
    As long as possible! :laugh:
    My lungs are the size of oil drums.
    In reality it's probably five seconds. :)
    ismokealotofpotamus likes this.
  13. john_the_toker john_the_toker

• Since: May 13, 2007
    i've heard 5 seconds to absorb all the thc so i kinda make a mental note to count to five
  14. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

• Since: Dec 3, 2006
    My method is a bit different... Iv always thought that your lungs only absorb during the process of inhaling so the longer your actually drawing in the more is being absorbed... Instead of just drawing it in and holding your breath I will take my toke followed by inhaling oxygen, then exhaling a bit, inhaling again then exhaling a bit then inhaling again several times until no more smoke comes out. If that makes any sense.

I dont do this everytime... mainly when I want to get high off just 1 or 2 tokes. Im not sure if its actually any more effective... but It does get me very high.
  15. o_t00high_o o_t00high_o

• Since: Aug 21, 2008
    I do the inhale/exhale/inhale/exhale thing. But for different reasons. I do it if i take to big of a hit and it feels like I'm going to cough or I can't hold it in, so I'll exhale a bit to make it easier.
  16. Bhikku Bhikku

• News Administrator
    • Since: Jun 14, 2006
    2-5 seconds, depending on how big the hit is or if I go off on a train of profound thought while I'm in the middle of an inhale. :D

Apparently sometimes when I'm high, I can't think hard and breathe at the same time. :p
    1 people like this.
  17. gamers1700 gamers1700

• Since: Nov 30, 2008
    I can totally relate to that lol...or sometimes I forget to pass the lighter, pot, bowl...whatever I'm doing tends to cease when having a brain-gasm stoned lol
  18. Free_Your_Mindd Free_Your_Mindd

• Since: Oct 6, 2008
    When I first started smoking I used to hold it in for a long time. I use to hold it in because I thought I was 'showing off'. But now I hold it in for 3-5 seconds I see no point holding it longer than that.
  19. Gale Gale

• Since: Dec 8, 2008
    Along with holding in it longer do you get a faster/better high if you try, lets say smoke a bowl as fast as you can, or is better to do it nice and slow.
  20. SimpleGreen SimpleGreen

• Since: Sep 5, 2007
    If I'm smoking, 2 seconds tops. If I'm vaping, 5-8 seconds.

Occasionally I get distracted and forget that I have a hit in my lungs, though, so it takes me a while sometimes.