how many dimes in an ounce...

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by herbaliser, Aug 30, 2002.

1. herbaliser herbaliser

• Since:
    simple question - im kinda new to this.
  2. goldberry goldberry

• Since: Mar 21, 2002
    that prolly depends on where u live cause prices vary

$10 usually gets u 4-5 grams (of shwag) around here, and an OZ is about 30g

so about 7 dimes in an OZ of shwag

ive never seen anyone sell dro by the dime but I suppose you'd get about 1/2g.
  3. anti147 anti147

• Since: May 5, 2001
    Around here, a dime is usualy around 1 - 2 grams. I have seen people sell KB by the gram, but KB and hyrdo is something i rarley come across.
  4. Hydrocronics Hydrocronics

• Since: Oct 6, 2001
    An Oz. is 28 grams.
    All that needs to be said.
  5. SmokerForPeace SmokerForPeace

• Jr. Activist
    • Since: Dec 13, 2001
    Come on man think! Do some math. Dimes are $10. So divide the price of the ounce by 10. There ya go. Thats how many dimes are in your ounce. Im pretty sure there was a thread just like this a while ago. Try the search button.
  6. Mr.Mojorisin Mr.Mojorisin

• Mr. M
    • Since: Feb 3, 2002
    Smoker that doesnt work, prices change with location but there will always be 1 gram to a dime. a dime is 10 bucks, holds about a gram. a nickle is 5 bucks, holds about half a gram. of course the price is canadian. thats how I buy my weed and its great.
  7. Conine Conine

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Oct 31, 2001
    there will always be 1 gram to a dime

How do you figure that?
  8. SmokerForPeace SmokerForPeace

• Jr. Activist
    • Since: Dec 13, 2001
    How doesnt it work. And where did you get the 1gram is always a dime? Your whole post contradicts itself.
  9. anti147 anti147

"Smoker that doesnt work, prices change with location but there will always be 1 gram to a dime. a dime is 10 bucks, holds about a gram. a nickle is 5 bucks, holds about half a gram. of course the price is canadian. thats how I buy my weed and its great"

Dude...the term "dime" or "nickel" refers to the price you paid. you could "in theory" buy any amount for $10 and it would be a dime, or $5 for a nickel. generaly speaking....it's usualy going to be around a gram. but hell...i've gotten 2 - 3 grams in dimes before....and i've heard of people getting half grams.

Like I said before...i've seen people sell higher quality **** per gram or joint...but the price will fluctuate. those aren't dimes....unless you'd get a good deal and get it for $10
  10. Mr.Mojorisin Mr.Mojorisin

• Mr. M
    Whoa attack me or what :p

Well around here, a dime is a gram, but theres leway (sp :D) sometimes its less, sometimes its a gram n a half. But typically, when you ask for a dime, the dealer will think want a gram/3 j's up here in BC. I nickle is half a gram, or a mid sized doob. If you lived up here it would make sense. When I hear dime i think, a gram, but I guess things work differently down there ;) I was thinking that in some places in the US, its 400 bucks a oz, some places like 300, so dividing in my terms wouldnt work, as I think a dime is a gram.
  11. thegoat thegoat

• Since: Jan 19, 2002
    a dime is a slang term for 1/10th of an ounch(think about it a dime is 1/10th of a dollar....yeah you get it)

so their a 10 1/10ths in an ounce so 10 dime bags equal 1 ounce

same for an 8th its 1/8th of an ounch a quarter... slang for 1/4th of an ounch

it doesn't suprize me people don't know this becuase of all the lame slangs our their for somthing as simple as a bag filled with a certain of weed...people always have to make words their own these days anyway to answere your question in short

10 dime bags=1 ounce

no grams are involved here you metric fools... and not all dime bags cots 10 bux...infact they shouldn't becuase the weight in ounces doesn't meen thats how much it costs

should 1 once cost 1 dollar? or even if 10 dimes makes 1 ounce should 1 ounce cost 100 dollars? no
  12. Mr.Mojorisin Mr.Mojorisin

• Mr. M
    BAH! I just tried to explain how it works up here because it doesnt say where herbaliser comes from, if it said US, I woulda butted out before I replied in the first place :p
  13. Conine Conine

• Seasoned Activist
    and not all dime bags cots 10 bux...infact they shouldn't becuase the weight in ounces doesn't meen thats how much it costs

While your solution may make the most logical sense, it simply isn't the way it is, at least not everywhere. Inexplicably, half, quarter, and eighth are used relationally to an ounce and then when it comes to dime and nickel many switch over to $5 and $10. If I had to guess, I would say that since 'quarter' is a measurment of both division AND coinage, that has something to do with the mix-up. Nonetheless, whereas half/quarter/eighth certainly all DO represent fractional measurements, the words 'dime' and 'nickel' do not.

For that matter, even dictionary.com has it figured out. You can go there and check the definition of 'nickel' and you'll see a definition that refers to something that costs $5. here's the quote:

nickel:adj 1: costing 5 dollars; slang for the price of unlawful drugs; "a nickel bag"

However, you'll notice there is no definition saying it's 1/20 of an item. At best you'll see something defining it as 1/20 of a dollar... unlike half, quarter, and eighth, which can be used for all items.
  14. thegoat thegoat

just becuase thats what your dealers or whatever use the slang for doesn't mean thats how it works

would you sell a nickel bag of skunk for 5 bux!?!??! i think not thats 1/20th of an ounce of skunk for 5 bux that would be a large loss on the dealers part same with a dime bag if you sold a dime bag of skunk for 10 bux becuase dime and 10 dollars are the same number

regardless of what people say nickel=1/20th of an ounce/dime=1/10th of an ounce/8th or a dub as sum call it is 1/8th of an ounce/quarter=1/4th an ounce/a half is 1/2 of an ounce/

people have their own meanings for things but the above explination is the actual meaning of those slangs its commong sense here no need to make it more complicated lol...

for example in the movie jay and silent bob trike back they sold those two kids a nickel bag for 15 dollars becuase 15 dollars was how much the weed was worth not becuase it matched the number of what they calle their sack lol...although it would be extremely awesome if everyone sold nickel and dime bags for 5 and 10 bux...but sacks that cheap would have to be schwag
  15. anti147 anti147

eh...everwhere i have ever been to and bought or seen deals go down...a nickel has been $5 and a dime $10. It's general practice to have a certain amount or gramage to each....but it's not consistant. Who weighs out a nickel? 1/20th? thats a gram and a half.... 1.425 grams to be exact. that could be 1 or two joints. that ain't no nickel

It's usualy seems when someone is lacking funds and wants to "buy just enough for a bowl or a J" to just sell 'em a pinch or two or three and have them pay $5 to $10 dollars

you're right about the high quality stuff though...but people will sometimes sell good **** for around $20 - $30 a gram
  16. Conine Conine

• Seasoned Activist
    just becuase thats what your dealers or whatever use the slang for doesn't mean thats how it works

And I would say that just because you think differently doesn't mean that's the way that it works.

would you sell a nickel bag of skunk for 5 bux!?!??!

Assuming I sold weed, yes, because a nickel bag is $5 worth of weed. I wouldn't necessarily put 1/20 of an ounce in there, and that's the difference.

regardless of what people say nickel=1/20th of an ounce/dime=1/10th of an ounce

Oh, I see. So because YOU say so, it's so?

people have their own meanings for things but the above explination is the actual meaning of those slangs its commong sense here no need to make it more complicated lol...

Please cite your reference that that above is the actual meanings. It isn't common sense, because there is at least one other thread where the consensus disagrees with you. I cited my response from dictionary.com, which supports my argument. Where is yours?

for example in the movie jay and silent bob

Jay doesn't exactly portray a man that's cognizant of the world around him. We laughed at that part, figuring, yeah, typical Jay, trying to sell a nickel bag for 15 bucks.
  17. Mr.Mojorisin Mr.Mojorisin

• Mr. M
    extremely awesome if everyone sold nickel and dime bags for 5 and 10 bux...but sacks that cheap would have to be schwag

:D :D :D Come to Canada man, you can pay 5 CA bucks for a half a gram, nickle bag, and get stoned :p
  18. thegoat thegoat

so ****ing pissed becuase my entire post didn't get posted becuase i wasn't logged in

now to prove my point

you have the standardized term for nickelbag and dimebag which means 1/20th of an ounce in weight and 1/10th of an ounce in wieght 1 meaning for 1 word

unlike your explination which leaves multiple maybe even hundreds of different meanings for 1 term for example...5 dollars worth of schwag might weigh 5 grams...while 5 dollars worth of skunk would not even be enuf to fill a bowl...now who in their right mind would seel 5 dollars worth of skunk..to further prove my point read on

your way...you have dealer A and dealer B both dealers are carrying the same strain of marijuana and are both selling nickel bags (the way you say) for 5 dollars worth of weed...dealer A measures out 1 gram and decides 1 gram is worth 5 bux while dealer B measures out 2 grams and decides thats worth 5 bux...now according to you they are both selling a nickelbag yet one dealer gives you more weed of your money...is dealer A ripping you off or dealer B loosing out...no way to prove becuase weed has varying potencies and can never truely be proven to be worth a certain amount per gram...so your method is innacurate and means you could be getting anywhere from 1 bowls worth of good bud for 5 bux or 5 grams of **** for 5 bux...innacurate way of selling weed and for the true competing dealer who sells to many people and must standardize to compete would be a waste of time and confusing considering weed often and always does vary in potency so if every dealer sold nickel bags for 5 dollars they would all have to decide how much 5 dollars worth of weed is which could be ANYTHING...

the way im saying and the way everyone i know goes by... the way everyone knows where nickel bag is 20th of an ounce and dime bag is 10th of an ounce Dealer A and dealer B both measure out a 20th of an ounce of the same strain of weed and dealer A sells it for 5 bux and dealer B sells it for 10 now it is obvious who ripped you off and the dealers don't waste time trying to figure out how much to weigh out per dollar...sensible reliable and gives the buyer a general sense of how much the weed is worth for his dollar

can you tell me how much 5 dollars worth of AK-47 indica strain marijuana is worth...even if you could some one else might have a different opinion...and the same goes for any strain...but if everyone knows that a nickelbag is 20th of an ounce they have a much better sense of what their paying for and the dealer doesn't waste time trying to figure out how much to weigh out for 5 dollars worth...

im not saying your wrong their is no right or wrong, but everyone has general knowledge that nickel and dime is 20th and 10th of an ounce its a standard everyone goes by it dealers can measure out the amounts than decide a price for each...rather than have to measure out different amounts of weeed everytime a new strain comes out...

what works for you works for you, but most dealers don't have time to figure out how much weed is 5 dollars worth they just measure out nickel bags dime bags 8 bags quarter bags and half bags and then negotiate the price with the buyer from their...simple effective and everyone knows what their getting...unlike what your saying becuase 5 dollars worth of **** weed could be alot of weed while 5 dollars worth of skunk wouldn't even be worth buying becuase it would be such an idioticaly small amount of weed no one in their right mind would try to figure out how much 5 dollars of skunk is worth...

nickel bag is 1 slang term with 1 slang meaning which is 1/20th of an ounce dime bag is 1 slang term with 1 slang meaning which is 1/10th of an ounce...unlike what your saying which means nickel bag could be anywhere from .5 grams of weed to 5 or more grams of weed...unreliable and for some one who isn't familiar with the dealer would have no idea what their talking about and if your like and used to only smoking dank buds you wouldn't waste your time paying 5 dollars for 1 bowls worth of bud...just doesn't even make sense to me

and not to mention here in the USA most of us don't use the metric system...we know 20ths 10ths 8ths 4ths halfs and full ounces easy for us standardized and everyone i know measures by ounces... their is no right or wrong...but yes when people say dime bag in america where we use ounces...generaly most people understand its 1/10th of an ounce...not 10 dollars worth of weed that could weigh anywhere from half a gram to 5 grams not to mention many americans don't even know how much weed is in 2 grams...
  19. Mr.Mojorisin Mr.Mojorisin

• Mr. M
    varying potencies

One word.

BC.

nickel bag is 1 slang term with 1 slang meaning which is 1/20th of an ounce dime bag is 1 slang term with 1 slang meaning which is 1/10th of an ounce...unlike what your saying which means nickel bag could be anywhere from .5 grams of weed to 5 or more grams of weed...

Thats exactly what Im not saying. nickle/dime bags obviously have more than one meaning, since up here a nickle isnt a 1/20 and a dime isnt a 1/10.

used to only smoking dank buds you wouldn't waste your time paying 5 dollars for 1 bowls worth of bud

a nickle bag will get most people high with the stuff up here unless they smoked their tollerance through the roof.

we know 20ths 10ths 8ths 4ths halfs and full ounces

We use 8ths, 4ths, halfs and ounces, nickles and dimes.

I cant tell you what ak costs or is like, maybe Im an idiot but I just smoke what I buy and its all good. Well unless I buy from this guys dad, that stuff isnt as good.
  20. Conine Conine

• Seasoned Activist
    you have the standardized term for nickelbag and dimebag which means 1/20th of an ounce in weight and 1/10th of an ounce in wieght 1 meaning for 1 word

See... thats just it. This is the point that I don't think is standardized. Just as you would say, who is going to bother measuring out 5 bucks worth of weed, I say who is going to bother measuring out 1/20 of an ounce?

your way...you have dealer A and dealer B both dealers are carrying the same strain of marijuana and are both selling nickel bags (the way you say) for 5 dollars worth of weed...

All I'm going to say about this is, this is the reason no one buys nickel or dime bags. If you buy a nickel bag, you're a broke a$$ fool who is going to get screwed. Unless you're tight with the dealer, who might hook you up nicely.

Most dealers I've seen go 2 ways depending on what they're selling- if it's schwagg, the lowest I've seen was a "20" bag, which was 20 bucks of schwag. This was usually a bad deal for the buyer and is rarely done. Quarters were more common but still rarely done. Then you had halves and so on, much more common.

If they were selling anything good, it went by the eighth, quarter, etc.... or for small amounts, by the gram. People looking for high quality stuff buy by the gram, or if they could get a decent amount of cash, the 1/8 or 1/4.

unlike what your saying which means nickel bag could be anywhere from .5 grams of weed to 5 or more grams of weed...

Which I can easily turn around and say when you buy a nickel bag in your area, it can be anywhere from $3 to $50. To say which is more reliable depends on if you either know how much you want to spend or if you know how much weight you want.

can you tell me how much 5 dollars worth of AK-47 indica strain marijuana is worth

Yes, $5 :D

but everyone has general knowledge that nickel and dime is 20th and 10th of an ounce its a standard everyone goes by

Sorry, but it isn't general knowledge and it isn't a standard that everyone goes by. If it were, why is the definition at dictionary.com of a nickel a bag worth $5?

and if your like and used to only smoking dank buds you wouldn't waste your time paying 5 dollars for 1 bowls worth of bud...just doesn't even make sense to me

Nope, you would buy that by the gram. Which IMHO is easier to weigh out than 1/20 of an ounce.

and not to mention here in the USA most of us don't use the metric system...

Yes, which caused the crash of the Mars expedition, but that's another story....

we know 20ths 10ths 8ths 4ths halfs and full ounces easy for us standardized

Honestly, are you going to sit there and tell me it's easier to weigh out 1/20 of an ounce rather than 1 gram?

but yes when people say dime bag in america where we use ounces...generaly most people understand its 1/10th of an ounce...

OK, hold on a minute. How can you speak for America? You can't speak for anything but the area you're from. The only way you can speak for America is if you're dealing on a national level, and then I KNOW you aren't screwing around with nickel bags.

not to mention many americans don't even know how much weed is in 2 grams...

I got ya there. People buy dank in this area in grams ALL the time. I know people who can easily size up a gram just as you could size up 1/20 of an ounce. (And they say the South is behind.... see, we're modern! We use the METRIC SYSTEM!)