How many people LEGALLY grow marijuana in the U.S?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by dr_reef, Jul 25, 2001.

1. dr_reef dr_reef

• Since:
    I'm interested to know roughly how many people ->LEGALLY<- grow marijuana in the US. I was told that roughly 50,000 people legally grow dope for medical reasons in the US...I thought this sounded a little too high. I've done a bit of research but can't find this figure... any help?
    If possible, could someone provide a link to a site or article which mentions this number... thanks
  2. Greenman Greenman

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Oct 8, 2000
    Under federal law, NO one grows marijuana legally in the US. Marijuana cultivation is banned with the exception of a government sponsored farm which provide marijuana to the 8 patients who can legally smoke marijuana medicinally in the eyes of the government. Note that even those people do not get to cultivate their own.

On the state and local level, the numbers are vague, not everyone with a perscription grows, and those that do grow, or are caretakers for patients, are not really willing to step up and admit to the world they are doing so for fear of harrassment or prosectution.

Peace
  3. Shaman Shaman

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Mar 21, 2001
    Not 8, 7.
    The very first one just died ;-(

Their pot is grown on a farm in MO
    The government grows what they call "a very fine, stable, mexican variety" IOW, mex. Has about a 1.5% thc content.
  4. CrazyHazy CrazyHazy

• Since:
    on a farm in MO? Do you have any idea where? I ran into a lot of pot growing wild along side the road. I was staying about 50 miles north of Joplin.
  5. Ragweed Ragweed

• Since:
    CrazyHorse,that was funny[IMG] I thought you were going to say so I can raid the harvest,I would have to agree with Greenman it's a small number and the Government would not disclose that information to the public.