How to End Cannabis Prohibition : With Guest - Howard J. Wooldridge of L.E.A.P.

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by Pompo, Mar 14, 2009.

1. hiwayhowie hiwayhowie

• Since: Mar 9, 2009
    I am no expert in this area. that said, i believe that the younger one starts, the more likely they are to get in trouble w/ abuse issues...that is also what docs say.

18 might be the most appropriate age.. But BUT, politically, we have to start w/ 21.
    4 people like this.
  2. StonerTaz StonerTaz

• Since: Feb 28, 2009
    I can see us starting at the age of 21 and maybe one day in the future it being droped down to 18 like cigarettes but for now 21 is definitely a good age to start with for the simple fact look at WW 2 when alcohol was 18 and that was because alot of kids was going to war it wasn't until the late 70's that they raised the drinking age to 21 do to repopulation issue's well I see it as a very good start with MJ becoming fully legal but until then we need to start getting more and more ppl informed that MMJ is not only a way to help treat the elderly and those of us that suffer cronic debillatating pains and that MJ is not a gateway drug even though alot of ppl are misinformed it is our duty to help spread the word just as TRUTH.Com is spreading about nicotine.
  3. Yana Usdi Yana Usdi

• Dogs best friend
    • Since: May 14, 2004
    If a mod could correct the link in Howards post it might be useful, post #65. There was an extra "." in the address which turned copssaylegalizedrugs.com into .drugs.com. It goes to drugs.com instead of the proper web page, LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs.

If you're still reading this Howard sorry I missed you, and tell Mike Smithson from your speakers bureau that Dan from Round Rock says hi if you get a chance.
    1 people like this.
  4. Yana Usdi Yana Usdi

• Dogs best friend
    The address I corrected above, hopefully a mod will fix the main post soon.

When I first ran across LEAP years ago I was under the same impression, you could sign up as a "friend" of leap or as a speaker. Either they changed it a while later or it was just poorly worded to start with because anyone can join as a member, but the speakers themselves are as far as I know all law enforcement.

If there's a distinction between them in the records and such I don't know, but the more supporters they can wave at politicians the more powerful their voice is. Cop or not, it's worth the gesture to sign up I'd think.
  5. Pompo Pompo

• Since: Sep 5, 2006
    I contacted Howard about this. I've been know to leave a note in posts on occasion :D but I'm not one to change content in posts. I'm sure either Howard will change it himself or give me permission to do it after he gets the email I sent.

One way or another, we'll "gitt r dun" ;)
  6. Yana Usdi Yana Usdi

• Dogs best friend
    Fair enough. Howard I never met and wouldn't presume to speak for if I had, but from talking to a couple of others I'd imagine given the choice between directing them to the right site and the wrong one they wouldn't mind them being directed to the right one.

I can understand your hesitation though and don't fault you for it, it's probably the right thing to do in the end anyway. Start breaking a proper operating procedure when you think it is justified and the line gets easier to move when maybe it's not as justified, it becomes more a matter of opinion than what's "right". As long as we "gitt r dun" :ns:
    1 people like this.
  7. ciregg222 ciregg222

• Since: Jun 29, 2008
    Thank you very much Mr. Wooldridge for supporting the cause. Your help is greatly appreciated especially considering your credentials from law enforcement.

1 people like this.
  8. TheKushKid TheKushKid

• Since: Apr 14, 2009
    Hey

Hi my name is Jennifer. I'm 19 years old and live close to Cleveland, Ohio. If there is anything I can do to help the cause, let me know. My financial situation at the current moment is not very flexible. I do however have plenty of time and energy. My email address is TheKushKid@yahoo.com or Miss High Times 2010 (Kush Kid) | MySpace.com
    Keep fighting LEAP!!!
    1 people like this.
  9. TheKushKid TheKushKid

1 people like this.
  10. polarbear polarbear

well i am 21 and i would love to help. my financial situstion is bad but i can give time. and anyting i cant think of. just let me know. kpaulbrooks@gmail.com to get ahold of me. i would like to get some info about any thing so i can help.oh i live in WA state. olympia the capital.
    1 people like this.
  11. Thedayoudied Thedayoudied

• Since: Feb 12, 2009
    this guy is awesome. i wish i would of seen this thread when the convo was going on.
    3 people like this.
  12. hazelb41 hazelb41

• Since: Jul 1, 2009
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    The Final, and Most Fundamental, Civil Right

Our country would seem to be entering a new, and perhaps more mature, age. The decades of the populace trusting the alpha dogs to take care of things might finally be coming to an end. The big dogs did a poor job of it for the last eight years and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]eventually [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]enough people saw it and voted them out of power. Unfettered "free market" capitalism and its unholy alliance with big government (the "military-industrial complex" which Eisenhower warned us about) have finally produced results that have made[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] its shortcomings[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] abundantly clear to all of us, and will be replaced by a return to hopefully reasonable regulations and oversight. Such progress will, of course, be over the hysterical protests and apocalyptic predictions of the Reaganomics faithful -- the "free marketers," whose philosophy and its excesses got us here (and who became so very wealthy in the process). Internationally, unilateralism and the self-righteous imposition of our will on other nations [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by our military [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]has also clearly failed -- again -- and is being replaced by rational, pragmatic diplomacy. Grownups will deal with problems by talking to each other. Duh!

The results of recent elections would appear to also show the coming of a new age in the transcendence of race and gender, the dominant civil rights issues of our and previous generations of Americans. "We the people" have certainly made progress towards that elusive ("progressive") goal of full and equal rights for all.

But there is still a fundamental civil rights problem left to be overcome. One that is not yet really on the national radar in that context: the question of the right to one's own body. Who owns it? Who controls it? Who gets to decide what does and does not enter it or is done with it? Who gets to decide when and how to end it? Is it really any of the state's business? This right of control, of ownership of our own bodies, not specifically guaranteed, but at least implied, in the Declaration of Independence ("life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness") and in the Fourth [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and Ninth [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Amendments to the Constitution, has been superseded in custom and law by a variety of well-intentioned, paternalistic measures that are based on the assumption that we need to be protected from ourselves "for our own good," and that it is the right and responsibility of government to do so. This is a crucial matter that I am not seeing or hearing discussed: not in the context of civil rights.

Civil libertarians with various related, more narrow agendas have been arguing [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] for a very long time [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]against this set of assumptions and the repressive laws which have sprung from them. Certainly some progress has been made, but the past eight years has produced a frightening loss of hard-fought gains. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Though some of the individual issues have begun to be dealt with constructively at the state level, i[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]sn't it time that we undertake this task -- the assessment and realignment of the relationship between government and individual -- at the national level? Isn't it time to consider and to discuss guaranteeing to citizens this last, most fundamental of civil rights?

Several states have now passed laws allowing for physician assisted suicide, but in most it is still a crime. The same is true of same-sex marriage -- also, I would argue, none of the state's business. A woman's right to her own body when pregnant is a hard-won right that has barely survived [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the long onslaught of [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the paternalistic, fundamentalist, social conservatives who have been in power for so long.

Many states have now legalized the medical use of marijuana, some have downgraded the priority of marijuana issues, and one, Massachusetts, has decriminalized minor possession altogether. However, the federal government insists on its right to enforce federal laws against both, and the indignant voices of the right continue to loudly assert that anything less will lead to the destruction of society
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (completely ignoring the data from several European countries that refutes their argument)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. It is time for straight talk, dialogue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and reform[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. Confronting the problem at its root, it is time to relinquish the immature idea that government is our daddy and should decide these things for us, or that it is within their rights to do so. And it is past time to truly separate church from state and leave Christian ideology out of these considerations. It is time for our country to grow up.

How can it not be clear that these are civil rights issues which all fall within the natural right -- the "inalienable right" -- to the self-determination of our own lives and the control of our own bodies that is implied in "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?" Is it not time to at least start a national discussion of these disparate, but highly related issues[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] in the context of civil rights[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], and in doing so address again, from a more mature place, the fundamental question of the relationship between the individual and the state? I certainly think so, and it appears that I am less in the minority in that opinion every day.[/FONT]
    1 people like this.
  13. Payless Payless

• Since: Aug 1, 2009
    wasnt this guy in that documentary the union?
  14. Yana Usdi Yana Usdi

• Dogs best friend
    I can't say if he was in it or not, but his group LEAP certainly was. Jack Cole was in the movie and he is the lead founder of LEAP though several others were there from the start too. They do a lot of stuff like that and these days a lot of anti prohibition videos feature one or more of them.
    1 people like this.
  15. Gee Gee

• The truth is in here
    • Since: May 14, 2009
    Great thread, well worth reading from start to finish! I learnt a lot from this discussion and it is great to see Mr Wooldridge spare the time to come and answer some questions.

Maybe the admins could arrange some more guest speakers (typers?) to come and chat?
    1 people like this.
  16. shaester_123 shaester_123

• Since: Aug 25, 2009
    This is what i dont get, it is good in every way shape and form you look at it in besides the fact of it is illegal. and the guy a lil above me is correct we are in need of industries that we can make a buck off off. The whole idea behind capitalism is that we can have industries that everybody wants that causes gain to the economy ..... keeping it illegal is doing nothing but takeing my hard earned tax and spending it on something i dont even wana spend it on but we have to because we are told. i am telling you they say it is a free country ..... whoever sais that today is a DUMB FUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. shaester_123 shaester_123

• Since: Aug 25, 2009
    mabe you are one of those few pigs that are not complete dumb fucks ......
  18. intangible child intangible child

• Since: Oct 22, 2009
    Get Out of Debt Legalize Marijuana by Lou Dobbs

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

FDR spent his first few days in office fixing the banks, and then he legalized beer. President Obama has buoyed the banks; what about legalizing marijuana? asks Keith Stroup, the attorney who founded the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws in 1970. For decades, Stroup has argued that legalizing pot would produce mega tax windfalls, and now, officials of states zonked out by the fiscal crisis—Texas, Tennessee, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania—are asking Stroup for the 411 on ganja green. "As smokers," he adds, "we're raising our hands and saying: 'Tax us!' "
    Could Legalizing Marijuana Help the Economy? - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

A Presidential thought on Cannabis!

"Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country."
    - Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President

"Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere."
    - George Washington, U.S. President

"We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption."
    - John Adams, U.S. President

"Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use... Therefore, I support legislation amending Federal law to eliminate all Federal criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marihuana." - Jimmy Carter, U.S. President

"I inhaled frequently. That was the point." - Barack Obama, U.S. President

"The war on drugs has been an utter failure. We need to rethink and decriminalize our nation's marijuana laws." -Barack Obama, January 2004

"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world." - Carl Sagan, renown scientist, astronomer, astrochemist, author and TV host

"Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?" - Henry Ford, whose first Model-T was constructed from hemp fibers and built to run on hemp gasoline

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bound of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded" -Abraham Lincoln

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this." - Albert Einstein quote on Hemp

"That is not a drug. It's a leaf." - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California

Let's end with a quote from one of the most clueless U.S. Presidents, who evidently thought of himself as an authority on cannabis:
    "I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast" - Ronald Reagan
  19. ASWeedy ASWeedy

• Since: Oct 28, 2009
    Does anyone think a shawshank redemption style letter writing campaign would at least help?

i am referring to when the main character writes a letter to the state congress once a week to get a better library for the prison he is in it took 3 years to get a response which was a check for $200 and some donated books and is told to stop writing to which he replys "then I'll write two letters" it works and the prison gets a good library to which some prisoners use to get their GEDs.

I am also pondering on an idea about writing something along the lines of what Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" was during the USA's revolutionary period because honestly the legalization of marijuana just seems like common sense to me as i am sure it does to many others in these forums.
  20. LowRider LowRider

• Since: Jun 20, 2008
    One can only try right. so go forth and do what you think is right. Common sense in Congress LMAO!!! But seriosly go for it, just make sure you go after the Anti's not the ones already for it. no need in wasting there time;)