IL : Our View - Allow medical marijuana, with a doctor's permission

Discussion in 'The Drug War Headline News' started by Pompo, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Pompo Pompo

• Since: Sep 5, 2006
    Our View: Allow medical marijuana, with a doctor's permission
    3/7/09|Peoria Journal Star| Editorial

[IMG]

Illinois moved a tiny step closer last week to joining 13 other states that permit severely ill patients to use marijuana medicinally, for pain relief and reducing nausea. It's far from a done deal, as both houses of the Legislature have yet to vote the measure up or down.

Indeed, as the debate continues we fully expect many of the same arguments to be trotted out in opposition to the proposal that are often used. But overriding all those arguments is simple compassion, which suggests that if you're in pain and being treated for cancer, AIDS or any of the other myriad ailments covered under the legislation, you should have the option of turning to medical marijuana.

But only with a doctor's permission and continued oversight.

Interestingly, the hue and cry about whether Illinois should permit medical marijuana use is moot - it got the OK here in 1978, but rules were never written to implement the "how" behind the law. This new proposal would create those rules, while leaving many hurdles for patients. They'd have to consult with their doctor, who could recommend they be allowed a state card. That card would permit them to possess up to seven cannabis plants and two ounces of "usable" marijuana.

There absolutely must be controls in place. Illinois doesn't need a system like California had when it instituted its medical marijuana program, replete with poorly regulated clinics and dispensaries springing up that many critics said catered to the sick and the not-so-sick.

Marijuana is not the ideal solution, and isn't likely to be everyone's first choice. Make no mistake, it is still a narcotic, still addictive. But so are other drugs that doctors legally prescribe for the treatment of chronic pain. It's difficult to envision physicians uniformly turning to it in every circumstance. But they are the experts and know the science and their patients best, certainly well enough to prescribe cannabis when needed and to say no when it's not appropriate.

Meanwhile, data touted by proponents from the Marijuana Policy Project suggests that nearly all the states that have permitted medical use have seen no increase among young people. The companion Senate measure to this state House legislation is being pushed by state Sen. Bill Haine of Alton, a former state's attorney who has worked to ensure law enforcement's concerns are taken into account.

Is there a risk that this opens one more avenue for people to get hold of pot who shouldn't? Yes. Just as there's a chance that someone will opt to forge a doctor's prescription to illegally obtain a registry card giving them permission to have something they could have bought on the street with less effort. But it seems more likely this will protect and permit those truly using the drug for health purposes to do so legally rather than enable a whole new generation of junkies. Nor is it easy to imagine legions of folks in crippling pain turning into drug dealers on the side.

If the latter happens, then overturn the law.

For now, we think putting this pain-relief decision in the hands of the doctor and the patient is worth a try.

[IMG]-------------- [IMG]
    4 people like this.
  2. nurse triage nurse triage

• Since:
    Its been used for thousands of years by numerous cultures for a reason

I would much rather have something that is natural than any type of man made compound.
    As a <a href=”http://www.callcarenet.com/products.asp”>health advocate</a>, I am with the use of marijuana to prescribed to properly diagnosed patients.
  3. Mikeebud Mikeebud

• Since: Sep 17, 2008
    I enjoyed the read until they said Marijuana is addictive. Suggesting the physical addicton. But that's false. Theres only a physcological addiction. You can be addicted to anything.
    1 people like this.
  4. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    This is what they call "damning with faint praise". Marijuana is not a narcotic, unless you ascribe a very odd meaning to the word "narcotic". Is marijuana physically addictive? Some people feel a couple of days of discomfort if they've been using a lot and stop cold. Research into addiction puts marijuana on a scale below caffeine and well below alcohol and tobacco. If I were an intelligent physician and considered marijuana to be an alternative to opioid pain killers, the responsible thing to do would be to see if my patient got relief with the less dangerous alternative.

Whenever writers start talking about prescriptions for medical marijuana, I know that they haven't done their research and know a hell of a lot less about the topic than I do. The list of drugs that may be prescribed is a part of federal law. If a pharmacist filled a prescription for marijuana he would be violating federal law and lose his license. Doctors write recommendations stating that medical marijuana might help a patient. These recommendations form the basis for the exemption from possession and cultivation laws, either directly or as the first step in some kind of card or license scheme.

It's so sad watching those marijuana junkies, crouching in the alleys, trying to grind their bud up fine enough to inject with a needle... :D It never works but they never stop trying. :rofl2:
    2 people like this.
  5. MMJNoob MMJNoob

• Since: Jul 14, 2008
    Anyone know exactly when this comes up for the House vote?
  6. Frylok Frylok

• Subscriber
    • Since: Dec 4, 2008
    What a slyly written article. At first read it seems to be in favor of the Bill, but in fact is designed to deliver two messages: 1) Marijuana is a Narcotic, and 2) Marijuana is addictive. Both are patently false, by the way, but I guess fact-checking takes too much time nowadays.

Then again, I don't think the author was attempting to deliver any facts...
    1 people like this.
  7. SleepyJohn SleepyJohn

• Since: Jan 15, 2009
    Talk about reading between the lines, Buzzby, already did it for us, and simplified it to boot! Also what Frylok said, My only comment could be, it even comes from a respectable source, The "Peoria Journal Star", is a largely circulated Paper,and often goes with the flow. This is good, for us all.
    1 people like this.
  8. photographer101 photographer101

• Since:
    No marijuana is not addictive!

I smoked pot for 8 years and quit with no problem. I could not do that with alcohol or cigarettes? I think we made the wrong stuff illegal. As fare as people injecting it, well that just means there stupid!!!!!!!!
  9. quester quester

• Since: Mar 19, 2010
    There's nothing worse than someone dropping seeds and shooting roachs.
    Sad sight indeed.
  10. HappyBoy1981 HappyBoy1981

• Senior DEA Agent
    • Since: Jul 31, 2010
    Has California become the poster child for bad MMJ laws? It seems whenever another state starts to tackle the question of medical marijuana, California and its program always comes up in a negative manner.
  11. quester quester

• Since: Mar 19, 2010
    WOW!

Three of the last four posts are ad's.

edit
    Thanks to the staff for the quick response!