Immune System, Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by dancingbackward, Oct 5, 2005.

1. dancingbackward dancingbackward

• Since: Aug 14, 2005
    heello. :wave:

do you guys know how marijuana affect our immune system and blood pressure?

good or bad?

I've been very concern for my health lately, trying to build a better immune system. but I don't know much about what marijuana does to certain parts of my body. How does it affect the immune system? blood pressure?

anything would be greatly appreciated.
  2. teufelfisch teufelfisch

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Jan 14, 2003
    For the duration of the high, cannabis temporarily decreases blood pressure as blood vessels become dilated.

As for the immune system, the chosen method of administration has a great effect on the outcome. In general, inhaling smoke of any type weakens the immune system. On the other hand, it is very likely that ingesting cannabinoids orally or through other methods of administration either have no effect or actually boost it. The relationship of cannabinoids on the immune system is still under investigation.
  3. Dobie Dobie

• Since: Oct 30, 2004
    I am so glad to see this thread because I was going to ask the same thing. The reason is this:
    I have been smoking on a daily basis for about 35 years now and had an interesting experience recently. In December of '04 I went for a DOT drug test and physical. A little family history might be approriate at this point... My dad has high blood pressure, my grandfathers on both sides had high blood pressure (one of them died from it) and my daughter (my only child) has high blood pressure. I have never had high blood pressure and that may just be a coincidence but... I quit smoking for about three or four weeks for the test. I passed the test but my BP was higher than it ever has been in my life. In fact, the DR was not going to sign off on my physical. It was too high. After three people took my BP over about an hour, the last one went ahead and wrote it down just under the limit so I could pass.
    I am in the same situation now, waiting for a test and physical and am most worried about the BP. Again, maybe it's just coincidence, but I don't know. I would like to know if my years of smoking has kept my BP at or below normal all these years.

Dobie
  4. nerphroll nerphroll

• Since: Jul 31, 2005
    Dobie. Maybe you were just nervous for the DOT physical? I agree with teufelfisch about smoking and the immune system, but not sure I understand the bit about eating pot raising immunity. tF can you elaborate? :gleaf:
  5. teufelfisch teufelfisch

• Seasoned Activist
    Sure. The immune system is incredibly complex, so we're still trying to figure out how it works and marijuana's effect on it.

Cannabinoid receptors exist in two forms: CB1 and CB2. The latter are located mostly around the spleen, an area of the body that regulates the immune system. Because of this location, it is highly likely that marijuana, which acts on both types of receptors, has *some* sort of effect on the immune system. We're still trying to figure out what that effect is.

Many scientists hypothesize that the marijuana cannabinoids have a positive effect, actually giving a boost to the immune system.

However, the most common method of administration, smoking, is less healthy than other methods of administration, such as eating. As a result, if marijuana does boost the immune system, these effects are most likely countered by the decreased health of the smoker.

All the more reason to vaporize or eat it. ;)
  6. teufelfisch teufelfisch

• Seasoned Activist
  7. dancingbackward dancingbackward

• Since: Aug 14, 2005
    thanks for responding! :)
    i think sticking to moderate use, people will be fine. i get high easily so i don't need much but i'm still trying to be cautious. i think i'm going to try not smoking it anymore. hah i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. eating it takes a longer time though, so i don't like that. what is vaporizing?
  8. Richi Richi

• CB1 receptor agonist
    • Since: Dec 21, 2004
    Are there any recent updates on the effects of marijuana on the immune system?