in a coma for 6 weeks........

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by mmm Froot Loops, Oct 31, 2004.

1. mmm Froot Loops mmm Froot Loops

• Since: Sep 25, 2004
    I am 25 now, when I was 21 I was involved in a major car accident. I was driving a vw jetta, and I lost control on some ice and spun around a couple times and the next vehicle to come down the highway was a mack truck. yup.

Make a long story short, I was in a coma for 6 weeks, and in the hospital for 6 months total.

I was looking at some of the other threads in this section about the mind and the workings of the brain, and I have not found quite the discussion about this topic that I am looking for.

So here's my thing - the way it has been explained to me is that a coma is the brain's was of blocking out experiences that are too painful or too traumatic that they would really mess with your head for the rest of your life if you actually remembered them.

I have no memory of my accident at all. I remember waking up that day, showering, eating some lunch, and thinking to myself "wow, this weather really sucks." and then starting my car and leaving for work. My next memory is about 2 months later when I was pissed that I couldn't eat any real food, or walk, or talk, or breathe on my own.

This is where smoking the reefer comes in to play. I have constant headaches and a dull ache in my knee that won't go away. And since my accident my personality has gone through some changes. When I am tired i turn in to a complete B!tch. But if I am not tired, I am equally as cheerful, if not more cheerful as I was before.

Smoking really helps me physically deal with the pain I feel in my body, but it also helps my brain slow down and take a break. My mind is constantly whirring a thousand different thoughts around at the same time. And when I am stoned, my mind is still busy, but I can take the time and ponder each topic as it comes up. It has only been since my coma that my mind is this way.

One weird way of looking at this is that my brain shut down for 6 weeks to allow my body to re-build itself. But now 3 almost 4 years later my brain is still trying to make up for that 6 weeks of doing absolutely nothing.

I do remember however, that just as I was waking up from the coma (thank you, eldopamine) it was almost as if I knew that I was in a hospital. I didn't know why I was there, but I did know that this was where I needed to be.

OK, so now to my other issue with this. There was a guy that I went to highschool with, he was a couple of years ahead of me. On their grad night he was driving drunk and flipped the car, his passenger was killed, but he lived, he was in a coma and went through the same stuff I did with physiotherapy and rehab. He had a football scholarship to play for a university nearby and to get an education for free.

But this guy is MESSED now. He has some major anger problems, and he is plauged by nightmares and halucinations about that night. So how come he remembers the accident that caused his coma? Is it because he was in the wrong (he was driving impaired and took someone's life) and is now being punished for it?

chew on that for a while.
  2. Farmivate Farmivate

• Since: Jun 16, 2003
    Wow. I'm actually stoned right now, and each of your paragraphs really made me think some deep ****.

How long have you been smoking? Because ever since I've started smoking everyday (the last 6 months), I do this very thing. Could it be possible that this is effect of the weed itself? Or have you been smoking well before you accident?
  3. jewishjake420 jewishjake420

• Since: Sep 27, 2004
    It may be other drugs that he is taking (prescription or illegal). Also, Alcohol also may be another cause. Comas have always been fascinating to me. Were you dreaming during your coma? If so, of what? Have you ever tried to totally relax yourself and think of what happened right before you were hit? Can you describe the coma state more detailed?

Thanks a bunch.
  4. mmm Froot Loops mmm Froot Loops

• Since: Sep 25, 2004
    True, this guy in question is also in to some stronger drugs.

I did have dreams while in the coma. I dreamed that one of my friends was a passenger in the car with me and that she was now in sharing a hospital room with me. Then I also dreamed that it was my husband who was the passenger in the car. Then I had a dream about puking. I found out later that after about 3 weeks in a coma I woke up suddenly, looked at the nurse and said "I gotta puke" puked, and then slipped back into a coma. The doctors gave me drugs to make sure I stayed "out" until my body began to heal. Then I was given eldopamine (remember the movie "Awakenings"?) to help bring me around.

I smoked for probably about 6 or 7 years (well, since highschool) before the accident, but since then I have smoked quite a bit more. It really seems to help me make some sense of my life. I don't think I want to remember my accident. Seeing my car at the wreckers about 1 year later was enough. I do know that I have this fear of driving a car with a 5-speed standard tranny. One thing is that I no longer have the co-ordination to drive a stick-shift, but I don't like just being in the car.
  5. digitalxtremist digitalxtremist

• Since: Nov 7, 2004
    damn, doosy of a question

I have always had that mind state you described, I have several forms of ADHD. Weed is the only thing I've been able to us to render my brain more useful. Weed does speed up thoughts often times, like Farmivate mentioned, but I think it is more surfacing of truth than sudden waves of thought. Your body may be fooling you into feeling a certain way because of a selfish dependency, or something like that. Ultimately you know what wrong you are into, and weed peels away the curtains. If you are a peace, you are more at peace; otherwise the opposite is true.

Spiritually speaking, that guy has to have a guilty conscience - probably from before the accident. For him the accident probably could have been the end of some bad decisions, while yours seems like the beginning of a new phase of life. I would think that alone would differenciate you enough to see contrast. Your mind thinks in definites, if your spirit was off in never never land, and you don't remember anything - your brain must have definitely knew you don't still have wrongs to right. Otherwise you probably would have some hauntings like a subconscious thorn.
  6. bangerbishop bangerbishop

• Since: Nov 15, 2011
    I am 24 now when i was 17 i was in a coma for 3 weeks and hospital for over 3 month, saw theropists for couple of years. Cant remember the crash it all seems a bler to me just remember been well fucked up. broke ribs and my arm too :/
    Crazy experience. I took to art and graduating from a computer game design course tomorrow (4 year course) :D

have a look at this i made about my motobike accident -

bangerbishop's deviantART gallery

:D

I am 24 now when i was 17 i was in a coma for 3 weeks and hospital for over 3 month, saw theropists for couple of years. Cant remember the crash it all seems a bler to me just remember been well fucked up. broke ribs and my arm too :/
    Crazy experience. I took to art and graduating from a computer game design course tomorrow (4 year course) :D