Is dry weed better for vaping?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Buzzby, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Everyone knows that, if you're planning to smoke weed, you don't want to let it dry out. Dry weeds burns much too fast and doesn't roll well in joints. But what about vaping it?

My hypothesis is that the weed has to be dry before it gets hot enough to make vapors. Water boils - turns to vapor - at 100ºC. In the process of boiling off, it takes the heat energy with it. Nothing gets above 100ºC until all of the water is gone. THC turns to vapor at 200ºC.

My perception is that the first hit is very fresh and tasty, but not as strong as the second or even the third. I think a good part of the heat energy going into the first hit is spent boiling off the water.

So - if there's any truth to this hypothesis, how to test it? Two samples from the same bud, one kept in it's hermetically sealed environment and the other left in a warm, dry place for a day. On succeeding nights take two hits off of one or the other and record perceptions. That's really too subjective for good science, but without $50,000 of lab equipment, the best instrument I've got to analyze the potency of the hits is me. And I'm willing to make the sacrifice, for the Good of All Mankind, nay, for the Good of All Sentient Beings! Go Science! :D
  2. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    I've found drier weed definitely works a little better for vaping. Every morning after work, I weigh out a gram and grind it. Oftentimes, I have "leftovers" on my plate fromm the day before, and I tend to vape them when I get home. The "leftovers" which have been gournd and left alone for basically 24 hours, vape excellently, with no noticable loss of potency. I don't get AS MANY hits as I would off the freshjly ground buds, but the ones I DO get are more than sufficent to get the job done right!
  3. 5drive 5drive

• Slacker
    • Since: Jul 31, 2006
    I'd certainly agree that water vapor comes first. According to Cannabis Vaporizer Study though, you start to get THC vapor as low as 140, with a full, clean dose arriving at 185.

Feel free to conduct your experiment Buzzby, as long as your study doesn't require any funding from taxpayers. :laugh:
  4. AnotherToker AnotherToker

• Since: Apr 17, 2008
    I have to agree with troublemakers inputs on the topic. I have similar results (and for the same reasons) and actually prefer to dry out my bud a bit before vaping. Generally the longer I have it out, the better it vapes IMO. However I never let any ground bud sit out for more than maybe 16 hours so beyond that I cant comment. I imagine it would get 'too dry' quickly after though.

Great topic
  5. 5drive 5drive

• Slacker
    It can lose potency with age, but getting "too dry" is not an issue.
  6. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    I wonder if you could freeze-dry bud. It would keep forever in vacuum-sealed jars.
  7. SpiralArchitect SpiralArchitect

• The Cosmic Chronic
    • Since: Dec 26, 2006
    I'd have to say dry weed does vape better, but differently. I tend to get more flavor from the first few hits as others have mentioned. They are always the best, after that the flavor dissipates. I usually just vape my bud to when it stops making visible vapor, so my AVB might be more green than most, because of that its a 'reserve' if I run out or don't feel like grinding something fresh. Its actually an excellent system, I tend to use less MJ this way actually. I keep it all in a brown jar right next to my vape and I can just dip into it at any time and 'blast' vape it for a couchlock stone

When I grind up a nug, it may contain some leftover moisture contained in the bud (it is anything but wet, just 'freshly ground') and I tend to have to turn my vaporizer up a notch or two (1-2) to get what I want. I prefer having thick stony vapor as compared to a light mist (I usually vape at 12).

After a hit or two, I can chill, let the vape cool down and go back at it. As said before, the vaporizer 'dries out' the weed so when I return the vaporizer is set to 11-12 and I get my desired vapor at a lower temperature.

I just vaped some new really good pot, so if that made absolutely no sense. I apologize :p

I was rereading all the posts though and thinking to myself, do THC crystals 'dry out'? Is their even any water in them to evaporate? That is to say, could you vaporize wet, or semi-wet weed? I know curing & drying is essential for a good smoke and potency, but what about for vaporizing? If you only desired THC this seems like it might work. I understand water boils at a specific tempature, and THC vaporizes at one, but is the tempature 100% consistent inside your whip? I'd assume the weed must heat up to 'dry out', whereas THC could instantly be vaporized by 200f. I only wish I grew my own so I could pluck off a fresh nug and see what happens.
  8. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    I doubt that the trichomes contain much moisture. They're mostly resin and that's not water soluble.

I've vaped bud fresh off the plant at a friend's house. It takes a bit of sucking hot air before the THC vapors start coming. Fresh bud is 75% water and it takes a while to dry it out. You can get high on fresh bud, but not as high as you would if the same bud were properly cured and dried. Usually, when we "sample" his plants we semi-dry the buds in his microwave oven.

My friend told me that the drying and curing process converts the THC from it's acid form to the more desirable (i.e. more potent) neutral form. Drying is absolutely essential if you plan to keep the bud for more than a couple of days. Above 15% moisture, bud will support mold and mold spores are everywhere.
    2 people like this.
  9. SpiralArchitect SpiralArchitect

• The Cosmic Chronic
    • Since: Dec 26, 2006
    Alright, well that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining that. Is the high any different when you vape 'acid' THC? :lmao:

Maybe someone with a Volcano can chime in, I'd like to know how wet bud fairs in that device.
  10. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    I didn't notice any difference. The plants were AK-47. I'd been vaping mids for a long time, so I got thoroughly blown away on this potent, hydroponically grown, hybrid.

I keep my stash at the right level of moisture for smoking. I rarely smoke anymore, but I like the flavor of the first hit on the vape a lot more that way than if I allowed the buds to dry completely.
  11. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    • Since: Dec 8, 2004

That's a very good question. I wonder if the freeze drying process would destroy any of the THC.
  12. AnotherToker AnotherToker

• Since: Apr 17, 2008
    Interesting topic. Not that I ever have anything long enough for it to be freeze-dried, but Id like to know if I could if i needed to.
  13. Conky Conky

• Since: Apr 20, 2008
    That's what I love about the vaporizer is it doesn't matter. If your bud is too wet, just start taking hits and it dries out in no time, and it's ready for vaping. If it's dry it's already ready. I like it when it's a little moist because the first few hits are so delicious, then my hardest (not best tasting hits), come at around hit 5-8. Usually a .2 gram bowl gets me 12-20 hits. Low temp, slow draw = lots of good hits.
  14. brian_28152 brian_28152

• Since: Jun 10, 2009
    After breaking up some moist weed I get about six good hits before it drys out and no longer produces the nice white fumes. How can you get better hits with dry weed. It doesnt make sense to me.
  15. Qbit Qbit

• Since: Jul 29, 2009
    Well firstly drier weed grinds finer and dustier (wetter weed is stickier), so there's more surface area, which is important in vaping.

Secondly I'd say evaporative cooling would be factor. I suppose you could this by turning your vape up (if it has a temperature control). But that would overcook some of your herb, making for a harsher hit.

Mind you, depending on your vape, and your personal preference, you may not wish to super-dry your weed. But yeah if you do, just put your bud on your TV or stereo or some other warm appliance for a few hours.
  16. some_stoner some_stoner

• Since: Feb 23, 2010
    We have a soapstone woodburning stove (with 1600 lbs of soapstone surrounding it), so the surface temp gets no more than 200F. Sometimes I place a couple of buds on there for 20 min or so, and they are perfect. Not too wet, not too dry.

I think wet herbs are sort of like ambient room temperature, another variable in the formula to the perfect hit.
  17. lwien123 lwien123

• Since: Mar 19, 2009
    Keep this in mind though. You WILL lose some flavor if you dry out your bud. For me, I like those flavors, so I don't pre-dry my bud. I'll vape my bud as is and get all those delicious goodies. After the first few hits, the bud is dried out, so then I stir the bowl to break up the bud to a finer consistency and continue vaping till there's nothing left.

Works for me.
  18. some_stoner some_stoner

• Since: Feb 23, 2010
    Yea, I agree that there's flavor there. I usually get decently cured herbs, but once and a while, it's just plain sticky-fresh, that's really the only occasion when I dry/cure it myself.
  19. MacGuffin MacGuffin

• Since: Jan 24, 2010
    Great thread with lots of insight.

I don't disagree with anything but I do have a comment...

I had some weed that was very dry. When I went to grind it, it basically turned to powder. I remoistened it up some so it would grind and it was fine.

I didn't like vapin the dusty dry stuff. It clogged up my screen, coated the inside of my wand with dust and not deleiver the hit I was looking for becuase of all this other distraction.

Maybe it's just me but I like to be able to grind mine and not make it powder.

I also notice that the hits don't come thick until the moisture is gone.
    1 people like this.
  20. 5drive 5drive

• Slacker
    Yeah, there is a balance. Too dry or too moist isn't good. Vaporizing takes more finesse than smoking, start to finish. IMO it's well worth the extra effort though.