Is it illegal to carry paraphernalia in your car?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Ballergrl35, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Ballergrl35 Ballergrl35

• Since: Jul 8, 2007
    If I have say a pipe or vape in a backpack or glove box and I get pulled over and the cop asks to search my car will I get into trouble if he finds it? I wouldn't drive around with any weed but the piece may have residue on it. Is that enough to cause any trouble?
  2. Trocisp Trocisp

• Since:
    Yep, if he finds you're busted.
  3. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Paraphernalia with residue on it is illegal anywhere. You'd get busted for possession and paraphernalia.
  4. Ballergrl35 Ballergrl35

What about just a vape? More specifically the Vapolution. It looks like a mini propane tank.
  5. ta1588 ta1588

• Bluntologist
    • Since: Feb 4, 2007
    so I'm going to assume it's just as illegal to carry a grinder.
  6. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    • Since: Feb 14, 2006
    If there's any marijuana residue on it, it would be illegal.

See above.
  7. Ballergrl35 Ballergrl35

Ok thanks. I don't think there would be any residue on the vape it because the tank part is just the heating device. The residue would be on the bowl or tube. So I just have to find a good stash for that in my car.
  8. 420godfather 420godfather

• Since: Sep 24, 2006
    ...ans if a cop does find it,BE RESPECTFUL and hope he confiscates the items and does'nt take you to jail!!!

420gf
  9. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Anyplace you can think of, the cops have already thought of. If they find a vape in your car, you can be sure that they'll take it apart to find something that will take you down in court.

There are several threads on this site about hiding places and lots of replies from our resident LEO members.
  10. peace n love peace n love

• Emu
    • Since: Nov 22, 2005
    the trunk isn't a bad place.
  11. 420godfather 420godfather

• Since: Sep 24, 2006
    ...I'm not trying to be rude here, but, the trunk is the first place they'll look.
  12. peace n love peace n love

• Emu
    • Since: Nov 22, 2005
    which brings up a bigger point, if you think they will search your car, don't take it with you. take a joint or something that is easy to dispose of.
  13. John Ashcroft John Ashcroft

• Since: Jan 24, 2005
    Doubtful you'll get arrested for just having a pipe. Unless the cop is a real prick or the area where you live has strict laws. Most likely you'll get a ticket to appear in court or the local magistrate. If you have a lawyer it will most likely get thrown out or you'll be placed on some kind of ARD probation. My friend got busted 7 years ago with a packed bowl and a bag. He got a lawyer and he got the charges dismissed and his record wiped as long as he stayed out of trouble for a year. He didn't get into any trouble and it's not on his record anymore. He was even able to go in to Canada. I've met people with DUI's from 20 years ago with no other record who can't cross the Canadian border.
  14. Noeone Noeone

• Since: Apr 21, 2006
    If you have a joint hide it in the headliner, cops forget to look their a lot (and if its on a seam it's easy to overlook), and dogs have trouble smelling things that are higher up (it is considered a search if the dogs are on the inside of the vehicle but not the outside).
  15. Jake Jake

• Since: Jul 31, 2005
    I've honestly never seen a cop find a pipe and not confiscate it...every now and then, a person won't get written up for drug paraphernalia, but the pipe will still get confiscated, every time.

America, man:pityparty:
  16. phuzz01 phuzz01

• Since: Jan 7, 2001
    I check the headliner in every vehicle search I do, having found several stashes up there in the past. And, my drug detection K9 has found drugs all the way up in the ceiling of a room. The headliner of a car is a piece of cake for him. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  17. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    I don't know where you get the idea that dogs have trouble smelling things higher up, but that's simply false. If it were hundreds of feet up, perhaps. But at a few feet up (like the headliner in your ride), th can pinpoint that with ease.
  18. Kush Maniac Kush Maniac

• Since: Aug 4, 2007
    sorry darque you are simply wrong. If you had seen barry coopers video you would know this too. goodbye.
  19. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    So......
    You're telling me that a dog won't be able to smell a joint at a height of about four feet in the headliner of your car?
    Even after you're being told by a uniformed (I believe) canine officer that his dog picks out drug stashes in ceilings?
    All because someone in some video says so?

Puh-leeze.

I suggest you do more research into the olfactory sensitivity of canines, friend. You or I might not be able to sniff out a joint in your car's headliner, but a dog can, plain and simple. Why? Their sense of smell is far more sensitive than a human's.
    Furthermore, a dog that is trained to sniff out drugs actively seeks out a specific scent, namely that of the drugs they are looking for.

Sorry to tell you, Barry Cooper is wrong. Who the hell is Barry Cooper, anyway?
  20. phuzz01 phuzz01

• Since: Jan 7, 2001
    We routinely train our K9s with drug hides that are up high in sedans, minivans, box trucks, tractor trailer units, RVs, mobile homes, houses, retail outlets, warehouses, etc. Our dogs have no problem alerting on hides that are 12-15 feet up. So, trust me when I say that a hide in a headliner is a walk in the park...

The only possible issue with a high hide is with follow up commands. After alerting to the presence of drugs, I use a follow up command of "show me." At that point, the dog will scratch at the location of the drugs. If the hide is more than five or six feet up, he obviously can't reach it. But he will still look at the location and indicate a find.
    1 people like this.