Is smoking bad for your liver/kidneys?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by blazinjeeps, Nov 30, 2005.

1. blazinjeeps blazinjeeps

• Since: Oct 25, 2005
    Does smoking put a strain on your liver or kidneys to remove toxins? After a very, very bad experience with too much alcohol and the flu (I got sick from both at the same time; it's a miracle that I'm alive as I went two days without water) I'd like to give my body a while to recover without pouring crap into it, and don't know if I should smoke or not for a while. I was really hoping to celebrate finishing my last midterm this friday, but will put off my celebration for a while if I need to.
  2. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Feb 24, 2003
    Marijuana can supress inflammation of the liver and help control liver disease so I highly doubt it would have any adverse impact on your liver. Same goes for your kidneys, I havent read any specific information on marijuana's impact on them. Which probably means there is no impact, if there was I'm sure we would be hearing the reefermadness propaganda about how it rots your kidneys.

You should be good to go.

:wave:
  3. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Neither marijuana's active ingredients nor its breakdown metabolites are toxic in the human body. You should have no problem with smoking weed and it will decrease inflammation.
    1 people like this.
  4. blazinjeeps blazinjeeps

That is what I wanted to hear! Now I even have an excuse to smoke!
  5. teufelfisch teufelfisch

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Jan 14, 2003
    Be careful, though. If the flu is affecting your lungs, it would be wise not to smoke. There have been many cases where a mild case of bronchitis has turned into full-blown pneumonia after smoking.

I was one of those cases-- I coughed a hole in my lung because of it. That was extremely painful. The doctors weren't sure about what I had done, so by the time they figured out that I had a hole in my lung, it had healed itself.
  6. truthaboutdrugs truthaboutdrugs

• Since: Dec 1, 2005
    the truth.

the truth is marijuana can hurt you in many different ways. the people on here saying that it doesnt do know a thing about the effects. i have taken the liberty of studying every aspect of marijuana and the truth is that marijuana and its metabolites are lipophilic, or fat soluble. this means that its easy for the drug to pass through a blood-brain barrier. even anti-biotics and or drugs of cancer treatments do not cross the blood-brain barrier. Cannabis, which is the chemial that is derived from the hemp plant to make the drug, can penetrate the two cell layers that form the blood-brain barrier. After metabolism the marijuana does in fact affect your lungs, liver and moves on to your brain. metabolites are fat soluble which means they may remain in your fatty system for a long time and later released into your blood stream. which includes your liver and kidneys. hope this helps!
  7. manatee54 manatee54

• Since: Nov 2, 2005
    Great Point - - HERB is BETTER for YOU

The net effect is very positive..... and you absolutely spell out why it is the BEST medicine for those suffering liver ailments, or other ailments, that don't seem to respond to man's pills. Case in point, Cancer patients respond MUCH better to Cannabis than all of man's efforts to syntesize them.....

Thanks for showing why that is..... Just as we are finding out, Sea Corals, and other Plant materials in the Rain Forest's, are doing outstanding jobs at healing mankind's illness'. Why do idiots keep insisting, that plant materials are MORE harmful, than the man generated pills....

My god, I know ton's of people that take ton's of pills for ailments, but switch them to HERB, and viola, all is well.

Maybe that is what the idiots against HERB are scared of.

:cool:
  8. teufelfisch teufelfisch

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Jan 14, 2003
    So what if it crosses the blood-brain barrier? Lots of drugs cross this barrier, not just THC, and the fact that it crosses the barrier is no proof that marijuana is harmful! You better check your facts. Antibiotics and cancer drugs are specific to the site of action (bacterial cell walls for antibiotics and cancer cells for cancer drugs), and have no reason to cross the brain membrane.

Take Parkinson's disease, for example. These patients have a shortage of dopamine in their brain, and find that dopamine supplementation is of great benefit. However, dopamine does not cross the blood-brain barrier, so it is administered as L-dopa, along with a COMT inhibitor. This combination allows L-dopa to cross the blood-brain barrier and become oxidized into the neurotransmitter. Would you rather it be injected into the brain?

Also, any drug you can insufflate-- whether medicinally or otherwise-- crosses the brain membrane.

I don't claim that marijuana is harmless, it can be abused just like anything else, but your reasoning is flawed.
  9. blazinjeeps blazinjeeps

Truthaboutdrugs, you fail to say how marijuana is bad for your body. Yeah, it goes into the brain (How else would it get you high?) and stimulates cannabinoid receptors, which are found throughout the body, but are most densely located in the cerebrum. THC is fat soluble (just like the vitamin D found in milk). However, you don't say why these characteristics are bad.

Oh, and the flu didn't really affect my lungs, so that shouldn't be much of an issue. I havn't been stoned in so long...I can't wait until Friday afternoon!
  10. Lit_Match Lit_Match

• Since: Dec 14, 2003
    TAD, you may have done research of your own, but you sure didn't research this particular site. You see, people here know what they are talking about and they don't fall for one liners too easily.
  11. truthaboutdrugs truthaboutdrugs

im not sure why all of you are trying to protect a drug that is harmful to your body and can eventually kill you. i do however agree with one user who says that it is harmless but only if you abuse it. yes, this can is some twisted way be true. BUT thc can stay in your body 45-60days after the use meaning that even when you're not high or stoned its still inside you. did you also know that marijuana is in the same class as heroine and cocaine? smoking a joint is 4times more cacionegic than smoking a cigarette. stick with cigarettes if you wanna smoke at all.
  12. truthaboutdrugs truthaboutdrugs

how? well the fact that its in your system can slowly kill off your organs whether or not you've had the flu.
  13. manatee54 manatee54

• Since: Nov 2, 2005
    Idiot - - Study First, Then Post

14. homemadebubbler homemadebubbler

• Always bubblin'
    • Since: Jun 2, 2005
    Dude,:shh: you obviously are a complete moron who chooses to express his incorect opinion as FACT, which it clearly is not. Before you come talking about things you don't know about, do some rearch :rolleyes: