Is smoking marijuana a sin?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Curran908, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Curran908 Curran908

• Since: Jul 5, 2009
    Religion has always played a big role in my life and has helped me get through some tough times but marijuana has also helped me through my tough times.
    Recently in school we started reading Dante's The Inferno and it got me thinking a lot about hell.
    The bible says nothing directly about drugs being a sin but it does say that we must treat our body like a temple and it also says that we must respect the laws of our land.
    At the same time God made everything in the world including marijuana so how could he have a problem with us using it?
    Its a pretty controversial subject and i was just looking for some opinions on it. Thanks!
  2. rsbattle rsbattle

• Since: Jun 5, 2009
    I'm not religious, but i have read the Bible many a times... And there are many things supporting the use of, and also, many supporting non-use...
    But sin wise... I honestly don't think anywhere in the Bible, it condemns Marijuana.

Well, I'm sure God doesn't have a problem (Then again, this is just my guess) with Marijuana, i mean, you have THC receptors in your brain for Christs sakes (no pun intended)... So i personally don't think Marijuana has to do with the, your body's a temple thing.

At the same time though, it says to follow the laws of our lands, I don't know if its illegal where you live.
  3. Grizzled Dog Grizzled Dog

• Since: Oct 15, 2009
    Depending on whether your religion prohibits it, which I doubt it will, you should be alright.

My christian friend who smokes pot said the same thing as you. God put it here, so enjoy it in moderation.

Nothing to worry about bro. :)
  4. rsbattle rsbattle

EDIT: Also, if it is a Sin because the laws of the land... What does it mean if your state has MM laws? Because its 2 directly conflicting laws. (Although, the Federal law is still the supreme one, cant use MM defense in court)
  5. Blackbear Blackbear

• Since: Jul 20, 2009
    as long as you dont let it gain too much importance in your life, i dont believe it's a sin,
  6. 024 024

• Since: Nov 1, 2009
    Mind altering drugs are a large part of any Religious culture, if you dig enough you'll find some kind of evidence.
  7. Lion of Judah Lion of Judah

• Since: May 7, 2009
    Heres a couple passages from the Bible. Keep in mind all things in the book can be viewed and read from many angles, so take it as you please. These will also probably differ among different versions.

Revelations 22:2 - In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month:and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Isaiah 18:5 - For afore the harvest, when the bud is perfect, and the sour grape is ripening in the flower, he shall both cut off the sprigs with pruning hooks, and take away and cut down the branches.

Now, I'm not saying what was written was in reference to herb. But as I said everything can be viewed from different angles...this is merely one to consider.
  8. Freshness420 Freshness420

• Since: Nov 10, 2009
    Psalms 104:14 - "He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man."

Genesis 1:11 - "And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so."

Sounds like it was meant to be smoked. Doubt that can be a sin. I am rastafarian however so I do think that smoking is good for religion.
  9. Splendens Splendens

• Since: Jul 12, 2009
    This doesn't really make sense. The whole point of sin is something you could "enjoy" but shouldn't. What the point of sins be if they weren't...fun.
  10. rsbattle rsbattle

what part of it didn't make sense?
  11. Sgilb93 Sgilb93

• Since: Oct 27, 2009
    In my opinion, God created everything for a purpose, marijuana is for human indulgence.
  12. Cosmic_Smoke Cosmic_Smoke

• Since: Sep 7, 2009
    I'm assuming you weren't born in india, and raised to be a devout hindu, but instead born in america and by chance raised christian. That makes a big difference. Humans actually evolved ussing drugs. Humans tend to incorporate local drugs into religion. For example, in the amazon, DMT is abundant, and used religiously, throughout north america psilocybin mushrooms were used religiously. In parts of northern europe and asia amanita mushrooms were used allot. And in southern asia and europe the indiginious cannabis plant was used as well. Modern indian religions still see pot as sacred. Early abrahamic religions also used pot in rituals. However, modern christianity is so competely deviated from early christianity its like there different religions. If you lived 2000 years ago, and you were a christian, using pot would be acceptable. However, after centuries of influence from white self ritious europe, christianity tends to view psychoactive drugs as negative. I think that most christian leaders would say smoking pot is a sin. For the record haveing sex before your married is also a sin. I personally prefer to sin my ass off.
  13. TheNomadicGanja TheNomadicGanja

• Since: Oct 11, 2009
    i like your post :) by the way

Anyways, ive read somewhere in the bible that it said that but im not sure
  14. MestUp7 MestUp7

• Since: Mar 23, 2009
    Abide by the laws of your land? What a stupid way to live.

I guess god would have condemned everyone who stood against slavery.

"In any civilized society, it is every citizen's responsibility to obey just laws. But at the same time, it is every citizen's responsibility to disobey unjust laws." - Martin Luther King Jr.

This is why I have a problem with religion. You shouldn't live your life how an ancient, possibly fake book tells you to live it, you should live it how you want to/how you see best fit.
    2 people like this.
  15. Gee Gee

• The truth is in here
    • Since: May 14, 2009
    I don't know anything about religion but I can't even begin to see why it would be a 'sin'. If inhaling a purely natural plant is a sin then so is breathing your local toxic filled city air, or eating a fatty McDonald's burger, or drinking a sugar filled Coke...
  16. bluedeadbear bluedeadbear

• Since: May 19, 2009
    If I stand correct, the bible also tells you to abide by the laws of your country. So technically smoking marijuana in America is a sin.

but...who cares?
  17. Charley Charley

• Since: Jun 2, 2009
    abide by the laws of man less they go against the will of god. ppl seem to forget that last part.
    many ppl feel god placed marijuana on earth for us to use.

also religion itself has become corrupted by mans interpretations.

some denominations of Christianity will tell you drinking is a sin and hell they will even tell you not cutting your hair is a sin.
    Jesus both drank and had long hair. was he sinning?
    god placed marijuana here for our use and i believe it is his will for us to use it.
  18. toke_after_toke toke_after_toke

• Since: Aug 16, 2009
    Well technically if you believe in that, God made everything even bad things.... so just saying because God made it doesnt justify it being fine.
  19. OldTimeToker OldTimeToker

• Since: Nov 13, 2009
    I doubt the creator of the heavens and the earth cares what you inahale in your lungs or put in your digestive tract. Then again I dont believe in god in the first place, and you can imagine how many times ive thought about it over the 55 years of my life.
    1 people like this.
  20. Splendens Splendens

• Since: Jul 12, 2009
    Well it's kind of like what toke after toke said. Even if we do have THC receptors, and the fact that it gives us such an amazing feeling, that doesn't mean it's not a sin. Bangin chicks feels good too, but that's a sin.

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying marijuana is a sin.:hail: