laws in wisconsin

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by ihavenoidea, May 1, 2007.

1. ihavenoidea ihavenoidea

• Since: May 1, 2007
    Hey i was just wondering of anyone knows of laws, or sites that explain laws or marijuanna in wisconsin. Things like penalties for posession, what defines possession etc. Sorry for the spelling.
  2. vern vern

• Since: Nov 30, 2006
  3. bobmarleyfan bobmarleyfan

• Subscriber
    • Since: Nov 2, 2005
    This might help ya out. ;)

Basically in Madison its legal to possess up to an ounce of pot in private places (ie. your home).

23.20 REGULATIONS CONCERNING MARIJUANA AND CANNABIS.

(1) Purpose . The people of Madison specifically determine that the regulations herein contained concerning marijuana and cannabis are necessary to serve the ethical purpose of providing just and equitable legal treatment of the citizens of this community and to preserve the respect of such citizens for law, its process, and its administration.

(2) Definitions . In this section:

Cannabis . The resin extracted from any part of the plant Cannabis Sativa L., or any other nonfibrous extract from any part of the plant containing delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

Casually possess . The possession of not more than twenty-eight (28) grams of cannabis, or one hundred and twelve (112) grams of marijuana.

Marijuana . All parts of the plant Cannabis Sativa L., whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant or its seeds. It does not include cannabis or any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks, fiber, oil, or cake, or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.

Practitioner .

1. A physician, dentist, veterinarian, podiatrist, scientific investigator, or other person licensed, registered, or otherwise permitted to distribute, dispense, conduct research with respect to or administer a controlled substance in the course of professional practice or research in this state.

2. A pharmacy, hospital, or other institution licensed, registered, or otherwise permitted to distribute, dispense, conduct research with respect to, or administer a controlled substance in the course of professional practice or research in this state.

Public place . A place which is in public ownership or a place to which the public has access; distinguished from a private place.

(3) A person may casually possess marijuana or cannabis in a private place. Such casual possession is not a crime and is not subject to forfeiture.

(4) No person shall casually possess marijuana or cannabis in a public place unless such marijuana or cannabis was obtained directly from or pursuant to a valid prescription or order of a practitioner while acting in the course of her, his, or its professional practice.

(5) A violation of Subsection (4) of this ordinance shall be subject to a forfeiture of up to one hundred dollars ($100). (Am. by Ord. 9244, 8-14-87)

(6) A violation of this ordinance is not a crime
    and shall not subject a person found in violation thereof to loss of civil rights or to other disabilities imposed upon a person convicted of a crime. No entry or other record may be made which indicates that a person alleged or found to have violated this ordinance has been arrested for, charged with, prosecuted for, or convicted of a crime.

(7) Separability Clause . If any subsection, sentence, clause, phrase, or portion of this ordinance is for any reason held invalid or unconstitutional by any court of competent jurisdiction, such portion shall be deemed a separate, distinct, and independent provision, and such holding shall not affect the validity of the remaining portions hereof.
  4. sturgeon sturgeon

• Since: Jan 12, 2008
    sorry to raise a dead post but what does this mean in the above post...is it legal to buy the seeds off of the website in the state of wisconsin.

i live in wisconsin and am very interested in these laws because i would like to by some afgan cannabis seeds. but i don't want the government to come knocking at my door about it.:lock:
  5. vern vern

• Since: Nov 30, 2006
    No, federal law rules over state law. State over local/city. Still illegal.
  6. sturgeon sturgeon

• Since: Jan 12, 2008
    so.....i cant buy the seeds then....well this just sucks....i don't wana have to buy them off of some one cause they could just give me seeds for something else thats not cannabis. this blows...
  7. steakii steakii

• Since: Nov 4, 2006
  8. jjsmoker jjsmoker

• Since: Feb 27, 2008
    I live in wisconsin very good info peace jjsmoker
  9. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    From your quote of the regulation, that's not right.

That says you can have an ounce of hash or four ounces of buds.

Note also that these are Madison municipal regulations. Outside city limits, state laws apply: possession of any amount is a misdemeanor carrying the possibility of six months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine. That's for a first offense. Subsequent offenses are a felony with the possibility of 3.5 years in jail and a $10,000 fine.
  10. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    lso, theres really nothing stopping the police from charging you under state laws if they so choose. When possession of 1 oz or less was legalized in Denver, possession arrests actually went UP...officers, rather than following the will of the voters, simply began arresting people under Co. law rather than the city ordinance
  11. killian killian

• Since: Jan 9, 2008
    Madison is pretty cool when it comes to marijuana.

Heh, afghan seeds. Before my dealer moved, he use to always tell me about his "afghan weed" he could get me, I don't think it was really afghan but he was really enthusiastic about so w/e. Reminds me of Katt Williams....."This shit right here!"

12. jjsmoker jjsmoker

the fight

ben busted in wis am going to go to court march 10 fight to get the law changed in wisconsin peace jjsmoker:soapbox:
  13. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Madison and Ann Arbor are both big, liberal college towns that have decriminalized marijuana. Their police departments, unlike the Denver PD, actually honor the will of the people who are paying their salaries. Actual practice is more relevant than what's possible.
  14. jjsmoker jjsmoker

sucks i do not live in madison going to fight all the way
  15. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    How is going to court to fight a marijuana charge going to get the law changed? If you're serious about this, it should have its own thread.
  16. bobmarleyfan bobmarleyfan

• Subscriber
    Just an additional tidbit about the laws in Madison:

Campus police only operate under state law so if you're busted by them you're screwed despite the city ordinance. But as Buzzby said the city cops are pretty cool about it, Ive never heard of anyone getting busted except in the school dorms by campus police.

Harvest Fest is a perfect example of Madison being liberal about marijuana...a big group of people walk to the capital smoking weed and the cops dont really do anything. :p
    Doesnt get much better than that! :banana:
    1 people like this.
  17. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    I wasn't aware of that. It's a good thing to know. Do you know if the same thing applies in Ann Arbor?
  18. bobmarleyfan bobmarleyfan

• Subscriber
    Sorry but Im not sure about Ann Arbor.

And I just double checked on the UW campus police's website and it said this:

So apparently they can work under county laws too...? Im not completely sure but I think they work mostly under state laws based on my fines for my underage drinking tickets. When I was busted by the campus police it shows on my record as State of Wisconsin vs. xxx :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just found this on the U of M's website for ya:

Here is the site. First paragraph...hope that helps. :D
  19. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    It looks exactly like the situation in Madison - campus police don't operate under municipal ordinances.
  20. th3-dud3 th3-dud3

• Since: Mar 25, 2009
    Wisconsin has NOT decriminalized Marijuana. I received and email today on this matter from legis.wisconsin.gov. its states as fallows.

so no the state of Wisconsin has not changed the laws regarding this, but independent cities such as Madison may have.