Lord of the rings

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by Bubbles25, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Bubbles25 Bubbles25

• Since: Jun 10, 2003
    Does anyone think that there was weed in lord of the rings or was it just tobbaco? I can remeber when Bilbo said "Ah, Old Toby Finest weed in the South Farthing"!I think that Aragon, Sarumon and Gandolf all smoke, the halfling leaf is a weed leaf and Peter jackson and JR tolkin smoked more then anyone else.
  2. Herb Ninja Herb Ninja

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Mar 21, 2002
    Might want to consider doing a search before starting a new thread. Especially on common topics like LOTR. The first thread on the lord of the rings movie is
    here.

I think he said finest weed in the shire, note: I could easily be wrong. I think its cannabis without a reasonable doubt though.
  3. WNB WNB

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Feb 9, 2003
    Gandalf was talking about smoking 'pipe weed' at one point, and I believe someone (Saurumon?) said to him "your love of the hobbit's leaf has made you slow", or something like that.
  4. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Feb 24, 2003
    Silly stoners.

No it is not marijuana. It is even refered to as tobacco in the book after the ents flood isenguard and some barrels of tobacco are salvaged.
  5. Barker Barker

• Cunt.
    • Since: Aug 17, 2002
    either way i'd love to be able to blow smoke ship's like Gandalf.
  6. rhoder rhoder

• Since: Jun 20, 2003
    In the prolouge of the fellowship of the ring, Tolkien says that pipe-weed is a "variety of probably of a Nicotiana".

-rhoder
  7. PhreshwaterPhunk PhreshwaterPhunk

• Mister Natural
    • Since: Dec 30, 2002
    They have the LOTR pipes in some catologs, their awesome. If I still smoked, thats what I'd use, it's beast.
  8. Barker Barker

• Cunt.
    • Since: Aug 17, 2002
    why did you quit smoking?
  9. Herb Ninja Herb Ninja

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Mar 21, 2002
    Forget the books, I think the intention was to make it appear as marijuana in the movie regardless what tolken said in the books. "Your love of the half-lings leaf has surely slowed your mind." I don't think hes speaking of tobacco, thats just too hard for me to accept. Tolken must have been smoking alot more then tobacco to come up with that great of a story line. I won't doubt they would offically call it tobacco for general acceptance of society sake but ive still got my reasons why I think its weed.

Silly stoner, ya well I won't deny that. Maybe im just too stubborn to accept that its tobacco. :eek:
  10. SkinnyP SkinnyP

• Since: Sep 30, 2002
    Gandalf smokes crack.
  11. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Feb 24, 2003
    I agree. I have only read my set of books and I know there are editions that are edited very differently. So I think its highly possible that an publisher would change something for the "general acceptance of society". It seems like they are smoking mj in the books, so I read it like that.
  12. EeJay EeJay

• Since: Apr 11, 2001
    In the SEE Fellowship DVD set, during the cast commentary, Ian McKellan makes reference to this saying back when the books were newish, in the 60's, people would think of pipe weed as some hallucinogenic substance. I can't remember his exact words but it was something like that.

I fully believe Peter Jackson and co. made it seem like they were smoking weed in the movies.
  13. Bubbles25 Bubbles25

• Since: Jun 10, 2003
    Have anyone noticed that they only smoke at night?
  14. imported_Ilúvatar imported_Ilúvatar

• Where is my mind...
    • Since: Apr 10, 2002
    I'm sure it was originally meant to be tobacco; i read that quote in the appendices, too. and also Tolkien smoke pipe tobacco. but he was also very stern on the fact that the books were not meant to be .... dammit the word won't come to me, but it will. basically the book wasn't meant to be, "this is this, and that is that." it was meant to be what ever the person believes it is. if you think that the weed in the book is marijuana it is, if you think it was tobacco it is; even if you think its opium, it is.

thats what i love about the books :)
  15. imported_Ilúvatar imported_Ilúvatar

• Where is my mind...
    • Since: Apr 10, 2002
    allegory! thats the word!
  16. Lyte it up 420 Lyte it up 420

• Since: May 13, 2003
    just take the L out of his name and what do you have? Tokien ... err ok take out the e too... Tokin!! See thats all the proof u need
  17. EeJay EeJay

How about this? Some trivia.

Tolkien died in 1973.

3 Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    7 for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    9 for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    1 for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Also, Tolkien originally planned to include Hobbits name Orlando and Viggo. Orlando Bloom played Legolas and Viggo Mortessen played Aragorn.

Not a coincidence but on his tombstone, Tolkien had "Beren" written, and on his wife's is "Luthien". This one sends shivers down my spine.

Pretty cool.
  18. mkamyszek mkamyszek

• Since: Aug 26, 2003
    Riight shivers... wait WHY i dont understand... Explain im just a stupid pot smoker..:D
  19. EeJay EeJay

The tale of Beren and Luthien is told in the Silmarillion. It's a love story between a Man, Beren, and an Elf-Maiden, Luthien daughter of Elf-King Thingol and Melian the Maia. Together, they broke into Thangorodrim (the Barad-Dur of the First Age) and overcame Morgoth (the Sauron of the First Age) to "rescue" a precious jewel from his crown.

It's one of Tolkiens favourite tales. It's a bit like Aragorn and Arwen in the Third Age, sort of, though more important and epic.